Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just for Fun - Custom ARCA Swiss Architectural Camera  (Read 1173 times)

foster_jb

Just for Fun - Custom ARCA Swiss Architectural Camera
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:35:11 am »

Hi,

I’ve had an idea for a custom architectural camera brewing for some time now, and I recently managed to get version #1 done! I am pretty happy with it; that said, it is more about function than aesthetic design. But it functions well!

I have an ARCA Swiss M Line camera, which I love. But the thing is an absolute beast and doesn’t like to venture outside the studio much… And I am not getting any younger. So while looking at the gear I have for the camera, I thought I could come up with something much lighter & smaller, and ready to travel.

I found some dovetail linear stages with both Coarse and Fine gearing… I took these and designed a couple of pieces to attach everything to, as well as to the Cube. Essentially, it is a double-dovetailed “L” bracket with some custom dovetail clamps to attach the original ARCA format frames to.

This custom camera was designed for a limited usage:

-   With a digital back, only lenses from 35mm (28mm??) through 100mm can be used. Although that range could easily be enlarged.
-   With a mirrorless camera (Sony, etc…) you have the above LF lenses plus a bunch of MF lenses as well.
-   Movements are front tilt (Orbix), front focus, front L&R shift, rear rise & fall. Of course, you can swap these movements front-to-back by switching the lens and sensor around. All movements are about +- 18mm, except for rise & fall. That is set for 24mm & 12mm (it can also be modified).

Why not just buy a RM3di? I was sorely tempted, but disliked the idea of having lenses remounted, etc.. I wanted a bit more freedom. And why not buy a Universalis? Well, I wanted to have a little “fun” and see what I could come up with.

I am using this with a digital back and the Rotaslide, and everything is good so far! My next step is to get a custom part machined to connect a Sony A7RII to the rear clamp.

The last photo shows this custom camera sitting on top of my M Line camera, just for an idea of scale. It's very small and light comparatively.

Yeah, I know, I have way too much time on my hands…

Thanks for looking!

Foster

Theodoros

Re: Just for Fun - Custom ARCA Swiss Architectural Camera
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:04 am »

Hi,

I’ve had an idea for a custom architectural camera brewing for some time now, and I recently managed to get version #1 done! I am pretty happy with it; that said, it is more about function than aesthetic design. But it functions well!

I have an ARCA Swiss M Line camera, which I love. But the thing is an absolute beast and doesn’t like to venture outside the studio much… And I am not getting any younger. So while looking at the gear I have for the camera, I thought I could come up with something much lighter & smaller, and ready to travel.

I found some dovetail linear stages with both Coarse and Fine gearing… I took these and designed a couple of pieces to attach everything to, as well as to the Cube. Essentially, it is a double-dovetailed “L” bracket with some custom dovetail clamps to attach the original ARCA format frames to.

This custom camera was designed for a limited usage:

-   With a digital back, only lenses from 35mm (28mm??) through 100mm can be used. Although that range could easily be enlarged.
-   With a mirrorless camera (Sony, etc…) you have the above LF lenses plus a bunch of MF lenses as well.
-   Movements are front tilt (Orbix), front focus, front L&R shift, rear rise & fall. Of course, you can swap these movements front-to-back by switching the lens and sensor around. All movements are about +- 18mm, except for rise & fall. That is set for 24mm & 12mm (it can also be modified).

Why not just buy a RM3di? I was sorely tempted, but disliked the idea of having lenses remounted, etc.. I wanted a bit more freedom. And why not buy a Universalis? Well, I wanted to have a little “fun” and see what I could come up with.

I am using this with a digital back and the Rotaslide, and everything is good so far! My next step is to get a custom part machined to connect a Sony A7RII to the rear clamp.

The last photo shows this custom camera sitting on top of my M Line camera, just for an idea of scale. It's very small and light comparatively.

Yeah, I know, I have way too much time on my hands…

Thanks for looking!

Foster

Hi Foster, I guess your approach is suited with your usual subjects and style... I do wonder though, don't you miss swings at all? ....and then, don't you prefer rear focusing than having it on the front standard?

Size is definitely a factor that has changed view/tech camera photography altogether as the modern sensors are shrinking in size all the time and then mirrorless FF brought another two factors in the equation:
1. LV
2. Shutter build into the body
The success of the Cambo Actus and Arca Universallis, even among pro photographers, is a proof for the above.

I wonder why didn't you  consider investing on a new, smaller camera altogether rather than converting the M-line at all? ...was it for having the fun of getting self involved?

That said, I have also thought of Arca being the base for a near perfect and light tool for modern photography with mirrorless and MFDBs, my thought though is of different to yours approach, it consists of having all tilt, swing, rise/fall and shifts on the front standard and then only rise/fall and side shifts on the rear standard with focusing on both front and rear base blocks. 

It would therefore require the Universallis used a base, but not how it is currently implemented, but rather with the rear standard used as a front standard too all the same and then swing and tilt added on top of the front standard only... I hope somebody takes the suggestion serious in Arca.
Pages: [1]   Go Up