Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circular Pol-filter for Canon TS-E 24 II - vignetting?  (Read 2530 times)

-chrille-

Circular Pol-filter for Canon TS-E 24 II - vignetting?
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:34:27 pm »

Are tilt shift lenses more prone to vignetting than fixed lenses when using screw in filters? Do I have to use slim filter?

I am chosing between thicker profile filter B+W F-Pro and the slimmer B+W Nano Käsemann.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Circular Pol-filter for Canon TS-E 24 II - vignetting?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:30:39 pm »

I use a slim polarizer. No vignetting.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »

Are tilt shift lenses more prone to vignetting than fixed lenses when using screw in filters? Do I have to use slim filter?

I am chosing between thicker profile filter B+W F-Pro and the slimmer B+W Nano Käsemann.

Hi,

You'll probably be okay with a normal (more rugged) version, the filter size is larger than usual, to accommodate shifts.
I wouldn't recommend using more than 7mm shift anyway, for optimum image quality.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

-chrille-

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:39:56 am »

I ordered the thicker F-Pro mount.

The seller stated that the thicker glass in F-Pro version provide a stronger polarizer effect due to larger reduction of light transmission. Is that correct? Never heard about it before.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 08:05:50 am »

The seller stated that the thicker glass in F-Pro version provide a stronger polarizer effect due to larger reduction of light transmission. Is that correct? Never heard about it before.

The polarization effect is obtained from a thin film that is sandwiched between two pieces of glass. The glass is only a holder that protects the film and keeps it flat.
- Dean

-chrille-

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:38:24 am »

The polarization effect is obtained from a thin film that is sandwiched between two pieces of glass. The glass is only a holder that protects the film and keeps it flat.

I think he meant the foil as the B+W HTC XS Nano have higher transmisson rate and "only" reduce the light by 1-1.5 stop compare to the cheaper F-pro version( cant find any transmission rates for this version though).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 09:00:19 am »

It's mostly the filter ring that is normal or slimmer, not necessarily the glass that is thicker or thinner. The thicker ring is more resistant to deformation. The Käsemann versions are better edge sealed and supposedly use higher quality optical materials (glass and foil), and are re-polished for plan-parallel surfaces after cementing/mounting the foil.

Here is a decent overview of the various aspects involving Polarizers. The B+W filters handbook from Schneider Kreuznach Optics also has such info in their Polarizers section.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up