Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 roll adapter tips?  (Read 1661 times)

Rado

P800 roll adapter tips?
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:35:45 pm »

I've purchased the roll adapter for my P800 and it feels like using it is more of a frustrating experience than it ought to be (this is the first time I use rolls of paper when printing).

I make sure to trim the end of the paper so that it's straight and perpendicular to the paper's long size. It takes me 2-3 tries to insert the paper into the printer until accepts it. I can live with that. But after printing several images the printer starts to complain about the paper being skewed - is this normal? I hope I'm doing something wrong or that there's some trick to it, because removing & reinserting the paper roll every few images is not something I will bother with.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
Re: P800 roll adapter tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:45:58 pm »

You can turn off the skew check in the printers menu, you'll have to be more careful when loading paper, especially fine art media through the front, but I found the skew sensors to be a bit too sensitive and frustrating.

MS

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:49:48 pm »

Also, make sure that once loaded, you take up all of the slack in the roll.  Obviously do this gently so that you don't damage the surface while re-tightening.  And, the "snugger" the roll is while you're getting it to feed in the first instance the better off you'll be with consistent straight feeding.  Final thought, make sure your roll adapter is gently but fully seated in its slots before you snug down the retaining screws.  On my second P-800 I had to take a flat file to the adapter (VERY GENTLY) to remove plastic flashing from the casting that was causing an interference fit when seating the adapter into the printer.  My first P-800 was a perfect fit right out of the box - so there's obviously some variation in the precision of the casting (or injection molding or whatever) of the plastic.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Azmike1

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »

I too have experienced some minor frustrations with my P800 roll adapter and the skew warning. However I have observed that cutting the paper in an uneven manner after the photo is printed does not necessarily create a skew warning. So from that I am guessing that the skew is a measurement along the long edge rather than the perpendicular alignment on the 17 inch border.

But overall I am happy with it and enjoy the economy it provides concerning paper costs.

Problems inserting the roll paper can be caused by the paper curl, so I get a 4 inch cardboard roll and roll it the end of the paper in a reverse direction. The resulting more flat edge helps a lot in feeding the paper.

Thanks for all the great information!

Rado

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:40:11 am »

Another weird thing that I've noticed - for some papers (I see this with papers using matte ink) I cannot select Max Print Quality in the driver if I'm using rolls. It's possible to select Max Quality for the same paper type when using sheets. Does that make any kind of sense to anyone?

It's not a big deal in practice because I can't really tell the difference between the Quality and Max Quality settings (I know you're supposed to send 360DPI images to the first one and 720DPI to the second one) but I don't understand the limitation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up