Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR catalog location  (Read 1732 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
LR catalog location
« on: September 04, 2016, 05:42:42 pm »

A recent LR opening resulted in an error message that stated the Catalog was corrupted and needed to be repaired.  LR attempted to do the repair but it failed and the message to start from a backup appered.  I did so ad LR works OK.  Fortunately, the backup was 2 days old and I  lost nothing.

Now I want to locate the corrupted catalog and want to remove it but cannot locate it.  The path to the Catalog always leads to location where the backup is located on a separate, external drive.

How can I find and delete the problem catalog?

I want to keep the primary catalog on my internal HD, separate from the backup on the external drive.  This was my prior state and I wish to return to it--HOW??

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: LR catalog location
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 05:46:17 pm »

User>Pictures>Lightroom
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 06:04:13 pm »

In Windows 8.1 the LR catalogs have an extension of 'lrcat' and you can do a search for all files with that extension.  By looking at the date attribute you should be able to discern which is the problematic catalogue.  This will help if you have put the catalogue in a different directory from the one Mark has outlined above.

Alan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 07:09:39 pm »

If you are totally at loss where the corrupted catalog may be, Alan's suggestion is worthwhile. However, I suspect the corrupted catalog should be where I indicated, if you never moved it from its default position any time back. I suggest you check there first. If so, remove it and copy the good one from your back-up drive into the same place where the corrupted one was. I believe if you then re-point your catalog to that location once from within LR, LR should always go there for it instead of to the backup.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 08:52:01 pm »

I forgt to mention MAC.

I did the search without successs. Howveer I did copy the backup to the Users->LR Location and that seems to work

Thanks for the help
mdiimaging.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 09:18:22 pm »

Good. Glad you got it working OK.

Mac Or PC, for this, it's pretty much the same: main difference is in Mac the folder is is "Pictures" and Windows "My Pictures". Microsoft just likes to be a bit more possessive about it  :-).
Pages: [1]   Go Up