Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: storage media longevity  (Read 2888 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
storage media longevity
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:32:18 am »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/cameras--vid...9964545127.html

As if we didn't already know, here's another article cautioning agains relying on cd/dvd media for archival storage.  I can personally attest to the risks of using cd's.

Bobtrips

storage media longevity
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 04:39:31 pm »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/cameras--vid...9964545127.html

As if we didn't already know, here's another article cautioning agains relying on cd/dvd media for archival storage.  I can personally attest to the risks of using cd's.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From the article...

If you're worried, it might be worth looking into the Delkin eFilm Gold CD and DVD blanks. These promise a life of 100 years for the DVDs and 300 for the CDs. Their longevity is attributed to the use of gold in the reflective layer of the disc, according to the Australian distributors, Baltronics. Gold is supposed to be impervious to temperature and humidity and therefore resistant to oxidation.

And Fuji offers 70-100 year disks.  Memorex offers 300 year disks.  

My reading of the article is - don't use cheap disks unless you make multiple copies and refresh them frequently.  Use disks designed for archival purposes.  

And still make multiple copies.

My reading of the article also leaves me with the feeling that it was slanted toward sensationalism rather than objective advice.

Ray

storage media longevity
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 08:20:53 pm »

My reading of the article also leaves me with the feeling that it was slanted toward sensationalism rather than objective advice.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69067\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems like that to me too. Consider the following quote from the article.
Not long, according to Herr Kurt Gerecke, IBM expert on data storage. Mr Gerecke told the magazine PC World that two years is about the average life expectancy of a burned disc, and if you keep it in a dark, cool place it might last for five.

That would have to be a complete falsehood. I've been recording on el cheapo CDs for around 10 years and I've never come across a single one that I've been able to verify doesn't read as a result of deterioration or oxidation of the disc.

I have, however, come across the occasional disc, CD and DVD, that doesn't read because it wasn't recorded properly in the first instance, or because of some system incompatibility or fault. The first time this happened was before I got my first CD burner. I'd upgraded my 4x CD reader to a 20x machine hoping it would reduce the 2 full minutes it took to read a compressed 6MB Kodak PhotoCD file.

I was dismayed to find that some files just wouldn't open with the new reader. My first thought was, 'these Kodak CD discs are already beginning to deteriorate'. Why would I think that? Because I'd read reports similar to the above. Such stories have been bandied around for years and can be very misleading. In this instance, the cause of the problem was the CD reader itself. I returned it to the store for a refund and got my old 4x reader re-installed.

jani

• Øyet
storage media longevity
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 08:48:31 am »

[sensationalism]
Seems like that to me too. Consider the following quote from the article.

[...]

That would have to be a complete falsehood. I've been recording on el cheapo CDs for around 10 years and I've never come across a single one that I've been able to verify doesn't read as a result of deterioration or oxidation of the disc.
I've had one or two fail that were working properly just after they were recorded, even in a different drive. I've also had pre-recorded music CDs become nearly unreadable.

The article mentioned also is overly optimistic about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD; there is no indication -- that I've read -- that these formats will be any better.

In general: the higher the data density, the higher the probability for failure/corruption both initially and over time.

This can be alleviated by adding redundancy at the cost of total storage capacity, for instance by double error-correcting checksumming and duplicates.

The problem is also relevant for hard drives, tapes and other storage media.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up