Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CFast 2.0 cards prices  (Read 2732 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
CFast 2.0 cards prices
« on: September 02, 2016, 04:46:36 pm »

I was trying to buy a 128GB CFast 2.0 card from a reputable vendor and couldn't find one at less than 500 US$ equivalent on Amazon.co.jp.

That's 3 times more than the equivalent XQD card of similar performance (itself now close to CF level prices).

What's the catch?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:04:14 pm by BernardLanguillier »

dwswager

Re: CFast 2.0 cards prices
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:28 pm »

I was trying to buy a 128GB CFast 2.0 card from a reputable vendor and couldn't find one at less than 500 US$ equivalent on Amazon.co.jp.

That's 3 times more than the equivalent XQD card of similar performance (itself now close to CF level prices).

What's the catch?

Cheers,
Bernard

Don't know specifics of CFast pricing, but do know the market really can't support 2 new formats since SD (and microSD) will own about 95% of market share and the XQD and CFast will be fighting for the table scraps.  Eventually CFast or XQD or both will die and unfortunately and unpleasant (for users) death.  SD is now fast enough for all but the most demanding applications, but I like the physical format of XQD best of the 3 formats.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:28:53 am »

Don't know specifics of CFast pricing, but do know the market really can't support 2 new formats since SD (and microSD) will own about 95% of market share and the XQD and CFast will be fighting for the table scraps.  Eventually CFast or XQD or both will die and unfortunately and unpleasant (for users) death.  SD is now fast enough for all but the most demanding applications, but I like the physical format of XQD best of the 3 formats.

CFAST is used on some Canon video cams; no way around it. SD can't do the datarates.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:37:10 am »

CFAST is used on some Canon video cams; no way around it. SD can't do the datarates.

XQD is used in Sony's...

The 5DIV not using CFast says a lot about the issues with the format IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:07:12 am »

XQD is used in Sony's...

The 5DIV not using CFast says a lot about the issues with the format IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

No, it says a lot about Canon's intention to cripple this product, which AFAIK can also not do clean 4K HDMI out to an external recorder, which just about any other camera on the market can now do.

You've once again forgotten that camera design is more about intentional crippling and segmentation than about actual tech issues.

Now if you want to argue that SD cards "could" do higher data rates - I will not protest. But again, a decision has been made not to speed up that interface - for now

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Don Blauvelt

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 11:17:24 am »

Just bought a Lexar 128GB CFAST 2.0 3500X memory card at B&H for $ 364.95 for my 1D X2. Shooting DCI 4096 x 2160 @ 59.94. Excellent.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »

I use a CFAST card in my H6D which also takes an SD card.  The CFAST was mega expensive so only bought one.  Not sure I like it that much partly on cost and partly because it gets really hot!

David Watson ARPS

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 07:09:19 pm »

I use a CFAST card in my H6D which also takes an SD card.  The CFAST was mega expensive so only bought one.  Not sure I like it that much partly on cost and partly because it gets really hot!

Thanks David. As it stands I am close to buying an H6D too.

Would be very interested in your first hand experience with the camera. PM is fine if you want to avoid interferences. ;)

Thanks.

Regards,
Bernard

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »

High resolution, high quality video is one of those demanding applications, but it does not change the fact that the overwhelming number of applications are handled more than adequately with SD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up