Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Tech Cam Viewfinder  (Read 5173 times)

Tsbphoto

Best Tech Cam Viewfinder
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:24:37 am »

i am currently in the market for a viewfinder for my alpa.  the obvious choice is the alpa viewfinder but at almost $2k it demands a review.  ive never handled or even seen the alpa viewfinder in person so all i have to go off of is the very large optical elements which seem rather enticing.  but i also think that the arca swiss viewfinder with its magnetic masks seems rather innovative.  disregarding the issue of mounting the arca on the alpa (im a machinist and i can make an adapter for what ever they throw at me), what is the better viewfinder?  neither? what other should i consider?

thanks!

Ray R

Re: Best Tech Cam Viewfinder
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 04:53:24 am »

I tend to use
http://www.artistsviewfinder.com
for iPhone
It just needs an adapter to fit the phone to the camera.

Ray

RomanN.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 04:56:43 am »

I have Cambo and Silvestri viewfinders. I think they are from the optik very similar or the same. The mascs are different.
I found cambo better than Alpas, becouse the masc show you also the shifting position. The silvestri viewfinder show you shifted lens even better.
The Arca viewfinder seems to be very interesting also but these both are enough for me.
I love to work with good focusing screen also becouse you can never work so exactly with the viewfinder as with a good screen.
The Linhof super screen is the best, I have also silvestri, arca, cambo, theay are OK too.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 08:15:20 am »

I have the Alpa viewfinder but never use it. Dan Lindberg, who is a marvelous photographer uses the Alpa collapsible viewfinder, but I don't see it on their website anymore. I think that would be a better option and cheaper if you can find one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:18:28 am by dchew »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 08:32:01 pm »

Best tech cam viewfinder ... a cmos back with live view.

Sorry, couldn’t help but throw this in.  i know it doesn’t help if you don’t have such a back, but after managing with  LiveView on my IQ180 for a view years (yes I made it work to the point I quit carrying ground glass), using my new IQ3 100 on my rm3Di with my iPhone 6+ through capture pilot as my view finder is just fantastic.  I can’t believe how quickly I can dial in focus, or even use tilt.

jng

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:43:48 pm »

Best tech cam viewfinder ... a cmos back with live view.

Sorry, couldn’t help but throw this in.  i know it doesn’t help if you don’t have such a back, but after managing with  LiveView on my IQ180 for a view years (yes I made it work to the point I quit carrying ground glass), using my new IQ3 100 on my rm3Di with my iPhone 6+ through capture pilot as my view finder is just fantastic.  I can’t believe how quickly I can dial in focus, or even use tilt.

Not to drag this post totally off-topic, but... I have basically given up using live view on my IQ160 and an IQ3 100 just isn't in the cards for me. So, any pointers for how you made live view work for you on the IQ180 would be appreciated.

sgilbert

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:19:49 pm »

The Artists Viewfinder or the ALPA version ("eFinder") work great.  You can program them to show the lens and back you're using, and they'll correct for parallax and shift. 

You can use them handheld or mounted on camera like a director's viewfinder to decide the lens you want to use. 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 04:38:06 am »

Not to drag this post totally off-topic, but... I have basically given up using live view on my IQ160 and an IQ3 100 just isn't in the cards for me. So, any pointers for how you made live view work for you on the IQ180 would be appreciated.

easiest just to link from over at getDPI

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/47671-using-vari-nd-focusing-arca-iq180.html?highlight=ND+filter

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/53174-kudos-wayne-fox-liveview-ccd-back-last.html?highlight=Liveview

chrismuc

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 06:24:50 am »

Voigtlander 15-35 mm zoom viewfinder
- affordable
- practical
- small
The zoom range corresponds to about 22-52 mm horizontal fov of a 54x40mm sensor.

jng

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 11:11:23 am »

vjbelle

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 12:59:30 pm »

When I was shooting my Alpa with my IQ180 I found that with distances under 100 feet my Disto and HPF rings were very accurate.  I never used my Alpa viewfinder.  At greater distances I eventually found that the best workflow was to set an approximate focus distance and shoot an image.  Checking for focus on the LCD screen with a loupe always told me where my focus plane was and it was fairly easy to make focus adjustments and shoot another test image for focus check. 

Victor

beano_z

• f/13 photography
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 03:35:50 am »

You actually never mentioned what kind of shooting you're doing most.  Just my opinion, but for what I'm doing (everything off a tripod) I'd suggest the iPhone holder neither ALPA or 3rd party, main reason being that it is light and small (you always have a phone with you anyway).

The ALPA optical finder is very nice if you shoot handheld with a TC, but once you get into awkward positions for framing, sometimes an optical viewfinder becomes very unpractical.

Using the iPhone, with its very wide viewing angle, I find it very easy to approximate the composition with the camera in various positions, be it very low or very high.

For what I shoot I don't need super accurate framing, nor close focus or even tilt, so LV is just a nice feature to have, I don't want to be dependent on it.

The only thing is to remember to charge your phone!

jng

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 09:31:18 pm »

OK, so armed with a cheap ($55) variable ND filter and new-found resolve, I did indeed find live view on the IQ160 to be an effective way to compose and focus after all. It's still a bit kludgy to screw the filter on and off the lens and one needs to work quickly to avoid over-heating the sensor, but it's preferable to swapping out the ground glass for the back. And it works.

- John

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 04:38:09 pm »

I devised a way to put the filter in a cokin filter holder (the thin one) , and then put cokin adaptors on all the lenses and the cokin snap on lens caps.  Easy to pop the VARI ND filter off and on.  For my tech camera I have some glass ND’s that are made by tiffin but also have IR coating on them, and use them in a second Cokin filter holder.

jng

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 01:03:02 am »

Thanks for the info. I neglected to mention that I'm using a Hassy V system Flexbody for when I want to use live view for composing and focusing. Most of the lenses in my kit use a Bay 60 mount, which makes mounting and dismounting the filter a snap. However the bad boy in the group is the 40mm IF CFE, which sports an 86mm diameter filter thread. I have an 86mm variable ND filter that works fine, but requires patience and care every time I screw/unscrew it from the lens so I don't cross-thread the filter or even worse, nick the front element if I slip. I like your idea of using the Cokin filter holder but I can see things getting a little complicated given the large diameter of the lens. Will need to give this some additional thought. In the meantime I'll just need to remind myself to slow down while working with the 40. These are first-world problems, to be sure...

John

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 09:47:45 am »

If I am working quick with my cambo, I just take a quick preview shot and readjust composition.  Otherwise I shoot tethered most of the time.  I've tried the conventional viewfinders (not the alpa though) and never found they helped me much.  What i've done on shoots where I have the extra moments but didnt want to shoot tethered is use another camera. 

I use a m43 camera since the aspect ratio is the same and just zoom in to the same focal length that im using on the tech camera.  I use live view on that camera and then switch to the tech cam when im happy.  If I need to use shift movements, I am pretty good at guessing to get close and then just refining with a shot or two.  I find this method works especially well at odd angles.  In fact, you can get a cheap m43 and lens for a LOT less than any of the viewfinders by cambo or alpa. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Tsbphoto

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 10:56:00 pm »

wow thank you everyone for your responses and your expertise.  you have definitely added a few alternatives to my list.

i am mostly shooting wide with the 23mm Alpagon and can pretty much visualize my comp with that lens. the focus on the wide is also relatively simple as i just use the HPF and hyperfocal for what ever aperture i need. i did just get the 70mm Alpagon and have found it difficult to do the same visualization of the composition as on the wide.  I am achieving focus with a Leica Disto D2 and a HPF.  I do have a Chinese knock off ground glass that works ok but the environments i work in, i do no feel comfortable taking the back off and exposing the sensor to any ambient salt in the air.  so i am back to a viewfinder or a back with Live View.  as far as the second is concerned i am shooting a P45+ so i have no autonomous live view.  i suppose i could go the route of a tablet and firewire to usb3 adapter and tether but i think the analogue-ness of the view finder will help me find comps i hadn't thought of before. 

i also have a Nexus 6P so the iphone holder is out and i find the idea of an app based finder kinda klunky.  im all about a purpose build tool for the job that needs to be done. in my professional life i run a machine shop and would never image a tool to do anything and find that the tools that are designed to do the specific job you want work far better than a multi tool.

so im left with....

Alpa 120 degree Finder
Arca Swiss Vario Finder
Cambo Finder
Silvestri Finder
Voigtlander 15-35 mm Zoom Finder (im not really liking this one as it is in a different format but it could work)

this is what i have been shooting...  i have been trying to shoot more intimates with my 70mm but it was been hard, hence the question

all of these with a P45+ and 23mm Alpagon

http://www.tsbphoto.com/img/s3/v23/p926467083-5.jpg

http://www.tsbphoto.com/img/s/v-2/p2015135972-5.jpg

http://www.tsbphoto.com/img/s3/v23/p1928283151-5.jpg

narikin

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 09:41:43 am »

I work with the 60mm on the Alpa mostly, it's my walk around lens, and found that the Zeiss-Sony finder is really great! By chance, an amazingly close match for the 60mm on FF MF digital.

It is extraordinarily bright, very easy to see through - far better than any other Optical Finder I've ever used. And has clearest bright frame lines you could wish for. A lovely quality piece of kit. Yes, it's spendy, but not Alpa level. Look on eBay - it was for the Sony RX1, so you find plenty of used-mint ones.

You still need Alpa's extended finder foot to mount it on, of course.

narikin

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 09:46:59 am »

ps: they have a  whole range of finders - maybe one's right for your preferred focal length?

Take a look through one - you'll be genuinely amazed how much better Zeiss is is than other Optical Finders - I certainly was.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 09:50:11 am »

Do you know of any firewire to USB3 adapters?  I've never seen one and that would have made life a lot simpler in my tethering options...I'm not sure if there are any.  Or there weren't at least when I bought my P45.  If you find one, please post it! 

I on occasion also stick one of these on a hotshoe adapter and use my phone.  There are a couple viewfinder apps that are decent.  Not the best solution, but it might get you in the ballpark quickly enough to fine tune with a test shot or two. 
https://www.amazon.com/Square-Jellyfish-Spring-Tripod-Phones/dp/B00C7J5ZC0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473947292&sr=8-3&keywords=jellyfish+phone+holder

Beautiful shots by the way! 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)
Pages: [1]   Go Up