Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchasing used printer?  (Read 2243 times)

ad9t

Purchasing used printer?
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:57:38 pm »

I would love to get a photo printer, but cannot justify the cost of a good new model. I would be making prints for myself, or to give away. Has anyone had any luck purchasing a used printer? If so, how did you find a reasonable deal? eBay has an Epson Stylus 2200 listed for $169, and a Stylus R2400 for $250. If I could find something in this price range I would be interested, but need to be confident it will work.  Any models to look for, or avoid?  My dad has a 2200. Purchasing one like his would have the advantage of being able to transfer the ink if one quits working.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Purchasing used printer?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:27:47 pm »

The low price tells you a lot.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:35:37 pm »

A 3880 is a real workhorse and can easily print for 10 years, even with infrequent printing. I have. 2400 that is 10 years old, perfect nozzle patterns. I find the paper feed, rubber wheels no longer pull paper in well and need hand assistance or multiple tries.

BillK

• http://
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:48:36 pm »

If I were you , I would try and find something locally where you can see that it works before buying it.
I would be very hesitant to buy a used inkjet printer sight unseen.

tonyrom

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 01:33:11 am »

Don't forget to factor in the cost of ink.  If the printer you purchase needs inks, find out what it will cost to replace them.   It may add a 1/3 more to the price of what you pay.  At that point, you need to decide if a new or used one makes sense.  For example, a used 3880, on Amazon is 800.00.  If you need inks, worst case $500.00.  What is the cost of a new P800?  $895.00 after rebate at B&H.

Hell, even if you don't need new inks, the P800 is a steal at that price, better inks, the ability to do rolls(needs an additional adapter for a cost) but the option is there.

Just some thoughts!

-tony

martin archer-shee

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:25:43 am »

I have had a 2200,  2400, 2880 and now 3880. bought the 2400 on eBay and had no problem. the 2200, 2400, and 2880 will at some point say they have end of life problem. Basically is that the waste ink pads are full and need replacement..... by a service shop. you can reset it, probably once but eventually you will have an overflow onto your table. Possibly you can install a waste ink container. cost of ink is a factor for sure. Depending on what you are doing there are some decent third party inks. Service centre repairs can be expensive, especially if looking t two way shipping.

Finally I bought the 3880, refurbished and directly from Epson. With rebates, selling my 2880 ( with the purchase store's warrantee and full disclosure re ink story) I came out almost even with a great printer and 17 inch wide. Waste ink is not a problem as the container can be replaced or even renewed if one wishes. I also opted to sell the full Epson cartridges, get refillable cartridges and have been more than happy using bulk ink from Jon Cone's  inkjetmall.com in Vermont. Superb ink and can use same profiles as Epson inks. Worth checking out from a technical point. Also excellent service. Absolute minimum ( virtually none) clogs.

Used does save money, but MAKE SURE it works and what to look out for. Check out the refurbished at Epson.
Best of luck.
Martin

chez

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:51:21 am »

I bought two used printers, a Z3100 24" and 44". Both have been going strong for years. Saved thousands of dollars over new.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 10:37:59 am »

My last three printers in the past ten years, all used, all large format, all Epson, from the 7600 to the 9800 to the 9900. The 9900 is still going strong after more than five years and two owners in two states.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

N80

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:35:49 am »

I have an R2400 that I bought when they first came out. Maybe 10 years ago. It never saw high volume. After sitting for a year, ink carts in, I had to clean the heads multiple times and then it printed perfectly. I'm using it a lot more lately and it is doing a fine job. Ink is between $13 and $18 per cartridge and it uses 7, so do the math. It is not frugal with ink either.

But, the K3 Ultrachrome inks are excellent and print quality is too. I would go for the 2400 over the 2200.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

huguito

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 03:38:57 pm »

I had a 2400 for years.
print quality is excellent.
But is a very thirsty beast, it loves gulping down a lot of ink. Don't forget to factor that.

gchappel

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:14:30 pm »

Canon pro-100 usually on sale- presently $130 B&H, counting the rebate card.
It is a little thirsty with inks, but you can not beat it for the price
Gary

ad9t

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 01:18:17 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I will probably pass on the eBay printers, but will keep my eyes open for something local.
Pages: [1]   Go Up