Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now they are two (H6D-100 started shipping)  (Read 2249 times)

Theodoros

Now they are two (H6D-100 started shipping)
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:59:10 pm »

Hasselblad announced today in their FB page that H6D-100 started shipping... https://www.facebook.com/Hasselblad/   

The H6D-100 adds 4K RAW video and full compatibility with older film backs other than being the second maker that integrates the Sony Cmos 54x40mm 100mp sensor in production.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:19:40 pm by Theodoros »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Now they are two (H6D-100 started shipping)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:01:57 am »

I had the chance to play with one today in Tokyo.

They confirmed they had started shipping and that the Kumamoto quake was the main reason for the delayed shipment but that firmware was also being finalized with a drop expected in a week or so that should implement most advertized features and correct some remaining glitches.

The camera feels good in the hand and the weight feels more manageable than what I remember of the XF I tested a few months ago. I tested the H6D with the 100mm f2.2 and the 28mm f4. The mirror slap also feels better controlled. The large and bright viewfinder is obviously the nicest feature of the camera. I was also happy to find out that the camera has 2 memory card slots, less so that the first one is CFast and not XQD considering the prices of these cards and their sizes (but yes, compared to the camera it's peanuts).

I'll test it again with the final firmware.

My main concern remains success ratio when manual focusing. The manual focus focusing experience is not even near what I get with my Otus lenses on the Nikon. I will need to rent a camera to figure out whether the Hassy is valuable for what I do. The H6D feels like the most polished MF body ever (and I like it better than the XF based on my very limited shooting), but right now I feel that it will probably end up performing significantly less well in absolute terms for real world shooting without a tripod, it should be significantly suprior on the tripod (meaning when you would typically probably prefer a tech camera anyway).

Coming from a DSLR background I was also surprised by the lack of auto WB, but I should have known this already.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:56:32 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:40:41 pm »

We don't need no stinking auto wb :)  Manual focus via live view should be amazing, not sure I trust my eyes enough when the pixels tattle on you...
t: @PNWMF

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 04:13:16 pm »

We don't need no stinking auto wb :)  Manual focus via live view should be amazing, not sure I trust my eyes enough when the pixels tattle on you...

Don't know, the 100% zoom function in live view was not implemented yet with the firmware level I tried.

But that would be a tripod only option.

Cheers,
Bernard

P.s.: auto WB works so incredibly well with complex event mixed lights on the D5 that I have hadly ever had to tune it manually. The stinking auto WB is not just an amazing time saver, I often simply can't do as well trying to adjust the WB manually without a grey card (which often isn't very helpful with mixed lighting anyway).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:03:28 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 11:43:20 pm »

My rep is expecting his tomorrow, and there may be a demo event on Saturday.

Have to admit I'm pretty freaking excited.
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up