Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Opinions of Z5200 and/or Z5400

(1/11) > >>

svds:
Current owner of a cursed Z3200.. and tempted to jump ship to Canon or Epson just in spite.
But have access to nicely priced Z5200 44" postscript and Z5400 priced the same.. I guess
It's a no-brainer to go with the Z5400.. but just wanted some input from member with these
newer printers as far as output performance and reliability.. something my Z3200 lacked.

Mark D Segal:
Price isn't everything. As you should be aware by now, when buying a piece of complex machinery you need to be mindful of after sales support and serviceability and performance reliability. These days, many printers are about as good as each other in terms of output quality, so the main things one focuses on are user-friendliness, features and after-sales support and service. I think it's a good idea to look carefully at all three major brands in respect of these factors before jumping into a large spending decision that will be with you for some years to come.

shadowblade:
What exactly do you want in a printer? That will determine which printer is most suitable.

The Z5200 and Z5400 are production machines designed to churn out large volumes of printed material, but have only 8 inks and lack the gamut of the Z3200 (which is already slightly less than the Canon and Epson photo printers, although it makes up for this in other respects). I wouldn't consider them suitable for critical photo work. But, if your aim is mass production of photos and other printed materials for a less-discerning audience (or those who don't need a wide gamut) they may well fit your bill.

The Z3200 is an extremely reliable machine. It will just keep printing and printing, even if you go months between prints (e.g. when away for a shooting trip), unlike Epsons, which will clog within days, and clog so readily that you need to run a test print to check for dropped nozzles before starting any significant print job. And, when clogs finally start to show, replacing the head is cheap. It literally took a falling porcelain toilet to kill mine.

Ernst Dinkla:

--- Quote from: shadowblade on September 01, 2016, 08:48:30 am --- It literally took a falling porcelain toilet to kill mine.

--- End quote ---

No video of that accident? Might attract as many viewers as that Epson 9900 sledgehammer one.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Mark D Segal:

--- Quote from: Ernst Dinkla on September 01, 2016, 09:48:08 am ---No video of that accident? Might attract as many viewers as that Epson 9900 sledgehammer one.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

--- End quote ---

Then maybe at least we we'd see the difference between a printer under the toilet versus down the toilet!  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version