Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor Siros 800 L  (Read 5132 times)

JoeKitchen

Broncolor Siros 800 L
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:39:11 am »

I current shot with Profoto gear, mainly the Acutes, and have been thinking about getting monolights for a while.  One thing that kept me from buying the Profoto versions is because they can not do a straight up ceiling bounce.   Also, the flash tubes are recessed in the housing and will react differently with reflectors.  And it would be nice to have battery power, but 500 w/s is not enough and Profoto does not make a B1 1000 w/s. 

So I am considering the Siros. 

Any reviews on these?  Are the tubes recessed in the housing, or are they at the correct spot?  Can you aim the light straight up? 

How robust are they? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

DrakeJ

Re: Broncolor Siros 800 L
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:02:49 pm »

Can't answer all your questions since I don't own Siros L, but:

Flash tube is not recessed which is a big plus. It includes a reflector that makes it look like it has a recessed tube, but that reflector can be removed.

Unfortunately it's also a lot larger and heavier.

BAB

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:48:01 pm »

the weight is why I am leaning towards the move pack its better suited for more jobs
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

FelixWu

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 03:57:34 am »

I can't imagine how many SirosL will get sent for repairs due to dropping.

gazwas

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:32:35 am »

I can't imagine how many SirosL will get sent for repairs due to dropping.

Probably the same number as any other poorly rigged light.

Sorry for the sarcasm but rig a speedlite incorrectly and it will end up in pieces on the floor...... I find the only considerations for tumbling lighting is how sturdy the stand is at the required lighting height and what modifier you attach in say breezy conditions. I have never found heavy lights to fall easier that lighter stuff, however better constructed (heavier) lights do take the much bigger modifiers more successfully so are prone potential falls without care.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

BAB

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:34:38 pm »

Move on to the move pack use the battery as a weight hanging it on your c stand big heavy monos won't cut it outside plus they don't have the recycle time or the power. That being said you would be better off with 8 sb900 in a circular mounting rig, then the Siros if you want light cheap fast and easy. fWIW
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

aztwang

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:35:02 am »

Move on to the move pack use the battery as a weight hanging it on your c stand big heavy monos won't cut it outside plus they don't have the recycle time or the power. That being said you would be better off with 8 sb900 in a circular mounting rig, then the Siros if you want light cheap fast and easy. fWIW
I have several Moves and am considering Siros. FYI Recycle time for Move : 0.2 – 1.9 s and recycle time for Siros :0.03 – 2.7 s...certainly both are in the ball park of the other. I think Bron Control App is huge. The Siros has the ability to be used in an Alternate function like Scoro if thats an important feature. Even at good guy prices I could by 3 Siros 800's, 2400ws total over a 2 light Move kit 1200ws? Not sure why you would say monolights don't cut it outside. If you do things right, use the right stands for the job, use sand bags and hang a safety cable to every light, then one is good as another. Now would I feel comfortable hanging a 9 1/2 pound monolight off a 6ft boom over my talents head as a hair light? Yes, but would take more precautions and it would not be my first choice. OH..and why in the world would you go thru the additional expense ( probably $2500+) and logistic nightmare of hooking up 8 speedlights over a Siros?

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:23:55 am »

Joe,
Not sure if you are still debating these lights but I just rented the 2-800L kit of a shoot this week. If you have any specific questions let me know. I will check on the point straight up question.

Dave

aztwang

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 10:22:33 pm »

Joe,
Not sure if you are still debating these lights but I just rented the 2-800L kit of a shoot this week. If you have any specific questions let me know. I will check on the point straight up question.

Dave
Dave,
How about a little mini review!

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:36 am »

I will do my best, but I have very limited lighting experience so don't expect too much!

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up