Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 USB problem - card readers not recognized.  (Read 6371 times)

rebadurchee

Windows 10 USB problem - card readers not recognized.
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:54:53 am »

Ever since I upgraded to Win10 my card readers, both internal and external, have been inaccessible.  I've been transferring directly from my camera - not convenient.

I went to every tech forum I could find and came away with no solution.  Finally I took the rig in to a shop.  They said, after two solid days of effort, that something about Win10 is broken in regard to my readers.  They see 3-4 systems a week with odd, unsolvable Win10 problems.   Their experience mirrored mine: I would install new drivers and everything would work until reboot. 

They saw that on reboot Win10 would automatically uninstall the new driver and reinstall the old, broken one.  They were united in their conviction that MS will never issue an update that will fix the issue.  I'm faced with wiping the disk and reinstalling Win7 (giving up my free upgrade to 10), or limp along as I am, transferring from my camera, and hoping that MS will somehow come up with a workable update.

Suggestions?  I'm open.

Thanks,
Reba

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Windows 10 USB problem - card readers not recognized.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 04:41:10 am »

giving up my free upgrade to 10
If it's not delivering any benefits, it's not much advantage really.

Win7 here still and see no reason to change.

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:43:18 am »

Firstly, having done the upgrade, you now own it.  You can upgrade or clean install at any time. 

Far more likely is that the upgrade itself had some issues.  A clean install (you were going to wipe the disk anyway) of Win 10 is a better proposition.

Computer stores that have multiple unsolvable Win 10 issues (or anything other OS) that they can't resolve are either lazy, incompetent, or both.

You don't need special drivers for USB attached card readers - it will be recognised as a USB attached storage device and uses the underlying USB drivers and other components (unless it's trying to install it's own, special drivers or software).

Since you can get USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 card readers for a handful of dollars, if you have old ones, I'd try getting a new one.  And I'd look at a clean installation of Win 10 if that doesn't work.  I have multiple USB card readers (2.0 and 3.0) and they work a treat on an upgraded Win 10 installation (from Win 7).

As to what benefits Win 10 gives?  Less overheads, faster, more stable, updated supported, more refined.  It's Win 7 updated (rather than Win 8, which even in 8.1 was terrible).
Phil Brown

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 08:13:52 am »

If it's not delivering any benefits, it's not much advantage really.

Not true for me. The system is much faster and stable, dialogs are more informative and clever, and all my equipment still works, even very old desktop printers that Canon no longer certifies for Win 10 (drivers will not update any longer) are functioning fine.

It will over time also be increasingly easier to diagnose software issues for developers, including myself.

YMMV

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:33:03 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »

Have you gone to the website of the card reader manufacturer and directly downloaded a driver from them and then installed it? 

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 11:26:52 pm »

So there are issues with Win10 and who 'controls' what gets installed, updated and when.  Are you running 10 or the recently released anniversary update?  If you took your external USB3 card reader into a store with retail computers, plug in the drive, see if it figures things out.  Does it work when used on a USB2 port?

Yes, you can reinstall Win10 and it'll activate using your Live account.  How long ago did you upgrade, you have 30 days to roll back easily.  Most internal card readers are USB devices, so who made your computer  or if it was done in parts, who's the motherboard mfg?

Win10 issues are common still, and the amount of folks who beat their heads against the M$ wall repeatedly deserve a little credit.  It can also come down to a 'what's the tech time worth compared to the cost of a new card reader'.

Good luck,
-Joe
t: @PNWMF

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 02:46:24 am »

I had to get a new external reader as the built in driver wasn't compatible. I think Fuji had to update their in camera driver to compatible.

Windows 10 does tend to polarise views :)

I have both 7 & 10 and prefer 10 but not to the extent that I'd upgrade the 7 machine.

rebadurchee

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 02:41:45 pm »

Been around the block a few times since I last posted.  My USB 3.0 (Lexar) external card reader works on my laptop with Win10 on a USB 2.0 port.  I took the reader, along with the rig, into a shop after beating my head against a wall for months.  Mobo is an older ASUS P6X58D-E which did pass the Win10 compatibility test, but ASUS is not issuing Win10 drivers.  The drivers in question, however, are standard USB drivers, not mobo or card reader specific ones.

The shop's report is that there is a weird behavior on some machines that upgraded from 7 to 10, and sometimes, but more rarely, appears in clean install 10 situations.  It appears that 10 reinstalls what it considers the correct driver (even though it isn't) on each boot, replacing any driver that is not MS signed or that it doesn't like.  There is supposedly a MS tool that prevents this mindless activity on specific drivers, but it didn't work on my rig. 

There is simply no apparent fix for this unless and until MS decides to fix it.  And who knows where this bug is on their long long list of bugs to fix.

This philosophy of theirs, total control by MS, over my machine is getting really old.  I am beyond the point of being able to roll back to 7 without a complete new install of 7, with a new license.

What I'm going to do for now is to put the CF card into my external reader, attach it to my laptop and copy the files to a flash drive and use sneaker-net to move the files to my main LR computer.  I could, and have done, attach my camera directly to my LR rig.  At least 10 recognizes it as a drive.  This makes it somewhat easier that the foregoing, but it does tend to drain camera battery life.

I will put my faith in faith in M$ for now... That's a lie.  I have no faith in M$ to listen to any consumer (they are putting the higher components of 10 on a subscription basis, and they are changing their 7 updates to the same rigid cumulative update policy that they use for 10).  I'll just fake it until it becomes an overwhelming problem and then decide something.

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 12:49:40 am »

Toss in a well reviewed USB3/3.1 pci/pcie card?  Drives are part of why I hate what M$ is doing with Win10.  Good Luck.
t: @PNWMF

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:13 pm »

Microsoft generic USB 3/3.1 driver is not good, better get the manufacturer driver.
Here all http://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:32:04 pm by Pictus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up