Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Driver Settings  (Read 5916 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canon Driver Settings
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 09:23:45 am »

Don't take me too literally about the word "religious" - it was shorthand for describing an approach that isn't based on empirical evidence, such as an a priori that "one size fits all". Most professional print makers I have read or discussed the matter with, and based on my own experience as well, will advise that's it's best practice to examine the choice of RI one photo at a time. This makes sense both empirically and theoretically. Empirical is each person's taste, so there's no point spending much time discussing this except to say that print appearance can vary depending on the photo and the chosen RI, and different people will prefer different renditions. So be it. But the theoretical considerations are worth bearing in mind when deciding whether to be "religious" about it. After reading the descriptions (Real World Color Management, 2nd edition pages 88 and 89 by Fraser, Murphy and Bunting) of how the RI treats the photos differently, especially relevant to out of gamut colours, it should become immediately obvious why the recommended best practice remains best practice.

As for how well softproofing works, depending on the quality of the profiles, the display, the soft proof settings and the experience of the user, it can be a very reliable indicator of what to expect from the printer - not perfect, but god enough to reply on - that's the whole point of it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Canon Driver Settings
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 05:57:50 pm »

Geraldo, have you tried a comparison print with versus without PSP? I seem to recall when I was testing the Pro-1000 I made one print through PSP and another through my usual Adobe-centric workflow and couldn't tell the difference. It could be they are implementing something to the effect of BPC under the hood, but I could find out more next week.
Hello Mark and Marcin,

It is worth to note that I was talking about the "old" print plugin for the IPF x400 printers as I am still waiting for the Pro 1000, so I have no actual experience with Canon's new software.
On my IPF 8400 the difference is quite obvious on dark areas.

About Perceptual or RelCol+BPC my take is this:
RelCol+BPC is more faithful to the original file about 80% of the time, although some may find the Perceptual rendering more aesthetically pleasing even when it is not as faithful. But RelCol+BPC is never "unacceptable". Perceptual, on the other hand, sometimes renders unacceptable images with lots of banding. But it is clearly image dependent.

Regards.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up