Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The IKEA way  (Read 6646 times)

wmchauncey

The IKEA way
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:46:56 pm »

Interesting read...http://petapixel.com/2014/08/28/flip-ikea-catalog-75-photography-see-cgi/

The statement "Now, we only talk about a good or a bad image — not what technique created it.”, gave me a sense of satisfaction
given my extensive use of PS, albeit, a sense of inadequacy after viewing some of the links in the article.

Having said that, I would be hard pressed to define computer graphics or fractals.
The things you do for yourself die with

marton

Re: The IKEA way
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:49:40 pm »

Old news. It's been happening for some time with real estate agents, and the furniture in houses for sale.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 06:06:36 am »

Isn't it a delightful, encouragingly bright New Way to be?

I couldn't bring myself to reporting actual quotations about buggy whips etc., but from the distance of quite a few years from the excitement of the coalface, it strikes me that those days when some of us thought we were doing something valuable were but further conceits and delusions, attempts at discovering meanings where none existed that we could grasp. That's not to say that there were no meanings, as distinct from immediate purposes, just that we never quite climbed onto the level from whence their reality and specificity could be understood.

At some levels, our ignorance protects us all.

Rob C

wmchauncey

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:43:05 am »

Rob C, my friend...I failed to grasp a single thing that you said.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:45:31 am »

Old news. It's been happening for some time with real estate agents, and the furniture in houses for sale.

And with many other subjects that have a CAD/CAM origin (e.g. cars, watches, etc.), but also Photo-realistic 3D renders of landscapes (based on real terrain DEM data or fictional).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 11:17:26 am »

Rob C, my friend...I failed to grasp a single thing that you said.

You mean, as with this:

"And with many other subjects that have a CAD/CAM origin (e.g. cars, watches, etc.), but also Photo-realistic 3D renders of landscapes (based on real terrain DEM data or fictional).

Cheers,
Bart"

of which, for me, almost nothing rings even a very distant bell?

;-)

Rob C

wmchauncey

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 02:06:16 pm »

Are we to assume that anything comprising digital photography and/or the use of Photoshop is frowned upon.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:38 pm »

Are we to assume that anything comprising digital photography and/or the use of Photoshop is frowned upon.

If you refer to my post above yours -then we were both right: you don't understand a word I write, and I don't understand anything about the acronyms CAD/CAM nor even DEM. Guess that means our worlds aren't even on collision courses.

But to help clarify: I use digital cameras pretty much every day except when distracted by domestic chores such as varnishing my acres of shutters which, when they first went up, felt quite an achievement when varnishing them for the first two coat. However, when in subsequent years I realised I'd forever after be spending triple the varnishing time in preparatory work, the charm wore off somewhat.

But digi snapping has been a godsend: I can fool myslf into thinking it's free, and it helps me keep my sanity by letting out what without it would be bottled up creative energy that would possiby explode me. I realise some would suggest I stop snapping, then, but hey, it's probably gonna be over soon enough, so I may as well just keep on truckin'.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 05:35:02 pm »

There is also this rather amusing deflation of model ego...

http://petapixel.com/2016/08/29/humor-behind-scenes-ikea-photo-shoot-models/

Anyway, if you look at 1:31 it seems they were shooting some of the sets with something like a Phase MFD. Interesting choice given that the catalogue is about 20x20cm and printed on possibly the cheapest available glazed paper...

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:09:50 pm »

I once was asked to do the photography not to perfect for they liked it to differ from the renderings they could make.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 05:41:54 am »

"And with many other subjects that have a CAD/CAM origin (e.g. cars, watches, etc.), but also Photo-realistic 3D renders of landscapes (based on real terrain DEM data or fictional).
"

of which, for me, almost nothing rings even a very distant bell?

Rob, it comes down to this: if you can design it on a computer (Computer Aided Design) to be manufactured under computer control (Computer Aided Manufacture), then the computer can also work out what it will look like... these days, with extreme realism, taking into account the materials used, the lighting and so on. Hence you can generate essentially "perfect" photos of objects that don't exist. It's one of the enabling technologies of Kickstarter  ;D

marton

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 08:10:02 am »

Here's how it works. You create a 'model', pushing and pulling vertices, polygon faces and edges with a preferred software package. With no shader or material applied it's just a virtual wireframe, and in most cases design houses use an Autodesk application like Studio Max or Maya. The model is placed into its virtual environment - also modeled, then shaders and virtual materials are applied using a process called wrapping. The scene is then 'lit' in much the same way as a product is lit in a studio, and then after much tweaking etc, a final rendering as seen through the lens of a virtual camera, is made in whatever renderer, and if they're using Max then it's most likely V-Ray. Modo is another application which has gained ground in design houses. I used to make artwork using this stuff back in the day. Very tedious and very exacting. The computer knows nothing, you have to tell it how and where to do everything. In some cases it can take years for someone to become adept at computer modeling.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:17:40 am by marton »

marton

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 08:15:01 am »

And with many other subjects that have a CAD/CAM origin (e.g. cars, watches, etc.), but also Photo-realistic 3D renders of landscapes (based on real terrain DEM data or fictional).

Cheers,
Bart

Yes that is right. Modeling landscapes, adding trees etc used to be tough, and still can be, but with the advent of softwares like zBrush and particularly Vue D'sprit and its automation in adding vegetation and other objects has made things a little easier.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 09:32:02 am »

Thank you for the explanations - Graham and marton .

It just serves to underline that there really is a cut-off age somewhere - perhaps it varies by individual - but for me, it's all become sci-fi and alien. I remember during the insertion of my first stent that the doc. was chatting away as he pushed things along my veins, as I lay there transfixed by what I was watching go down on the monitor screen. I told him it was sci-fi and he agreed; I then felt a bit faint - nothing to do with squeamish - and he quickly got them to input some form of nitroglycerine which brought my head back to normal. I asked whether that stuff wasn't likely to blow up (I'd watched Wages of Fear many years ago), and he suggested that as long as I didn't decide to smoke there and then, it wouldn't happen. I carry a  couple of pills of that in case I get a threatened attack, which I would probably recognize... Isn't preventive medicine wonderful? I wonder if I'd get banned from taking them onto an aircraft? I have, of course, just didn't think to declare them.

Rob C

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 08:21:12 pm »

It just serves to underline that there really is a cut-off age somewhere - perhaps it varies by individual - but for me, it's all become sci-fi and alien. I remember during the insertion of my first stent that the doc. was chatting away as he pushed things along my veins, as I lay there transfixed by what I was watching go down on the monitor screen. I told him it was sci-fi and he agreed; I then felt a bit faint - nothing to do with squeamish - and he quickly got them to input some form of nitroglycerine which brought my head back to normal. I asked whether that stuff wasn't likely to blow up (I'd watched Wages of Fear many years ago), and he suggested that as long as I didn't decide to smoke there and then, it wouldn't happen. I carry a  couple of pills of that in case I get a threatened attack, which I would probably recognize... Isn't preventive medicine wonderful? I wonder if I'd get banned from taking them onto an aircraft? I have, of course, just didn't think to declare them.

To stay OFF topic... There was no stent for me – it was a full quad bypass. I remember thinking, (just before the anesthesia took hold) looking up at all the gowned, masked, hair-netted faces and the operating lights, that this must be how those alien abduction memories get started. As for the nitro, the members of our local photo club probably carry enough collectively to be a worry to some security organization or other.

If they really want to replace a camera with something computer generated, why can't they start with the colonoscopy cam? Give the new procedure a good IKEA name like arsletavla or rumpabild.

John.
jburnett.ca

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:58:47 pm by JNB_Rare »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 04:15:20 am »

I think the problem with Rumpabild (tm) would be the lack of CAD/CAM files of your bowels ;)

wmchauncey

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 06:48:09 am »

If anyone is interested, I could post some images of my recent colonoscopy...   

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 08:30:22 am »

I think the problem with Rumpabild (tm) would be the lack of CAD/CAM files of your bowels ;)

I knew i should have trademarked rumpabild. Now you've gone and done it. Crap.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up