Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Coon Hunting Supplies"  (Read 2659 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
"Coon Hunting Supplies"
« on: August 30, 2016, 04:52:17 pm »

Any interest in this? C&C? Thanks, t
One Day At A Time

Rob C

Re: "Coon Hunting Supplies"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 11:35:01 am »

Politically, that's terribly incorrect! You could get tarred and feathered.

;-)

Rob C

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:09:27 pm »

Todd, what was your intent with this photograph?  To me it looks like a snapshot.

Was that all it was intended to be; or did you intend some other message?

It is tough to critique a photographer's work unless we have some insight in to what the photographer was trying to do.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 09:11:48 pm »

Todd, what was your intent with this photograph?  To me it looks like a snapshot.

Was that all it was intended to be; or did you intend some other message?

It is tough to critique a photographer's work unless we have some insight in to what the photographer was trying to do.
Otto-
Thank you. aside from the fact that I found it Southern and humorous there wasn't anything else to it. You are correct. It should not have been put up for C&C. I will try to be more deliberate in the future. BUT, your calling me out on it is helpful. Thank you, t
One Day At A Time

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 05:19:16 pm »

I was taken on a "coon hunt" when I was about 10, by our Sunday School teachers.  We got to watch the dogs find the racoons, chase them down a hole (this was West Texas, not many trees), and then the adults twisted barbed wire down the hole, dragged the racoon out and turned the dogs loose on the poor creature who was able to eviscerate two dogs before they tore him up, leaving pretty much only the skin and tail, which the adults tied to the radio antenna of the lead car, showing that these big brave men had subdued, then conquered this vicious beast.  What a wonderful lesson for several 8-10 year olds.  Since that day I have detested hunting and hunters, who hunt only to kill.  They should be taken out and have dogs set upon them.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:22:16 am »

I was taken on a "coon hunt" when I was about 10, by our Sunday School teachers.  We got to watch the dogs find the racoons, chase them down a hole (this was West Texas, not many trees), and then the adults twisted barbed wire down the hole, dragged the racoon out and turned the dogs loose on the poor creature who was able to eviscerate two dogs before they tore him up, leaving pretty much only the skin and tail, which the adults tied to the radio antenna of the lead car, showing that these big brave men had subdued, then conquered this vicious beast.  What a wonderful lesson for several 8-10 year olds.  Since that day I have detested hunting and hunters, who hunt only to kill.  They should be taken out and have dogs set upon them.

I've been trying very hard not to engage with LuLa in the mornngs, because once I start misspelling and hitting wrong keys, the job goes on for hours and nothing 'real' gets done. The list of reality chores remaining undone is legion, starting with varnish and going through banking.

However. I just coudn't resist adding my 100% support to your view on hunting: I think it sucks, as I do fighting poor, dumb bulls in a ring, when all those critters want is more to chew and a field full of friendly cows.

If you have to kill to eat, that's one thing. Sport it cannot, ever, be. I once had to shoot the initial run of an abattoir for the builders. No wonder I turned my back on such 'commercial' photography and devoted myself to model work. In the holding pens outside the halls, the look in the eyes of the animals told me that they knew. I remember putting my hand on the head of a brown cow and apologising for my species. The smell of blood and death; they sense it - it's overpoweringly unavoidable. I couldn't get it out of my nostrils for weeks.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 05:59:51 am »

And of course what happens when the abattoir is running normally, as opposed to putting on a good show for the hired photog and the inspectors is far worse, as demonstrated by some recent videos from hidden cameras. And what can you expect: you give a man a job killing animals all day, either he will leave by the end of the first week, or he will become a sadist.

Too sad a topic...

Meanwhile, facebook will show your hunting videos, maybe even your Saudi public execution videos, but ban you 30 days for showing a human female nipple...

Otto Phocus

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 06:49:50 am »

and then the adults twisted barbed wire down the hole, dragged the racoon out

Really, that's pitiful. I have to wonder about the type of people who would do this as a form of entertainment.

Might be a good idea to watch some of them around schools and parks.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 07:06:44 am »

And of course what happens when the abattoir is running normally, as opposed to putting on a good show for the hired photog and the inspectors is far worse, as demonstrated by some recent videos from hidden cameras. And what can you expect: you give a man a job killing animals all day, either he will leave by the end of the first week, or he will become a sadist.

Too sad a topic...

Meanwhile, facebook will show your hunting videos, maybe even your Saudi public execution videos, but ban you 30 days for showing a human female nipple...

I had no idea.

No wonder I never play there nor in any of the alternatives. In true Luddite manner, I live my life as close to the way I did decades ago as reality will still allow.

Seems to me the only people really losing something, should these sites vanish overnight, are the terrorists who use them as information freeways.  Before them, a few more people had the ability to converse. I'm appalled seeing tv items where a fond panalist (Sky News) tells of how she tries to ban cellphones etc. from her dining table. Lady, you allowed them be there in the first place?

Quality of life moves ever upwards. It's the law.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up