Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.  (Read 15477 times)

JKevinScott

Re: Hassie X1D Actual Deliveries to users dates.
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 02:48:00 pm »

Nothing uncommon that deliveries take time. A very large part of the effort goes into firmware development and also power and heat management. The initial announcement of the X1D was very early with largely unfinished firmware. Software development very often falls behind schedule, especially the first time you do it.

As you know, Sony makes the sensors and their factories were hit by a major earthquake, production is up and running now, but they have a giant backlog to fill. So, sensors may be a bottleneck.

Well, it is a long wait. I also had a ling wait for my Sony A7rII. It was announced early June and I got mine  in September. Hasselblad will ship X1Ds in numbers when they can. Be sure that they do what they can to get things into production.

Speaking for myself, the problem that I have with the way that Hasselblad has handled the X1D rollout so far isn't that they need extra time to finish complex firmware, get sensors from their vendor, debug heat problems, or whatever else they might be doing to get their product ready to ship to consumers.  They should take all the time that they need.  Building a new hardware/software platform is incredibly hard work. 

My problem is that they've taken orders from dealers who in turn have taken pre-orders from customers.  They have thrown out several dates and have missed them.  They've completely failed to communicate why they continue to miss dates.  And.  They're doing victory laps about how successful the camera launch is and making posts on social media channels about first units leaving their factory in Gothenburg without any indication whatsoever that a single photographer has received a production version of the camera, and no believable indication when they will.

If they needed more time, they should have announced the camera with some super vague date like "end of 2016" or "spring of 2017" or no date at all.  Then they could have had salivating customers anxiously awaiting the opportunity to buy the camera, without said customers being disappointed after putting down their credit card or deposit and expecting a piece of gear to arrive on the date the manufacturer communicated, only to have that date pass with no explanation, multiple times.

I just cancelled my pre-order.  I don't believe that Hasselblad knows when they're going to have units to customers, and I don't enjoy repeated disappointment.  I also don't want to stop caring about when the camera is going to arrive while I have a $14k pending charge on my credit card that could hit at any time.

So I'm going to do the rational thing, which is wait until the X1D is a real shipping product, not vaporware, given that I don't "need" one in any real sense.  I'll wait for dealers to have stock and/or believable delivery times.  And I'll wait for other photographers to get their units and report on whether the hype is merited.  Then I might buy one.  Or, the Fuji GFX might be on the market by then, and prove itself the superior choice, in which case, I'll save myself a few bucks and buy one of those instead.

I wish Hasselblad much luck.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:37:42 pm by JKevinScott »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 06:10:25 pm »

That makes sense. Can't blame you, I did exactly the same for my Nikon DL order, and that is with one less zero in the price.

Overall though, the progress I have seen with H6D-100c firmware makes me optimistic that Hasselblad IS progressing, but it looks like they under-estimated the complexity of the task as far as the X1D goes.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 02:33:13 am »

Hard to know who decided to "part ways", whether it is Fuji or Hasselblad.

I would guess that it is Fuji, but anyway I am not even that the contract binding both companies had a scope wider than H lenses production and selling in Japan.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:43:36 am by BernardLanguillier »

jvpictures

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2016, 04:08:00 am »

X1D manual in English is out. Indication for delivery getting closer! :)
http://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/x1d-50c (under download)

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 03:56:12 pm »

The 45mm and 90mm lenses are shipping today from B&H.  8)

Joe

JKevinScott

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »

The 45mm and 90mm lenses are shipping today from B&H.  8)

Joe

That makes me doubly glad that I canceled my pre-order.  Having $5k worth of lenses sitting around depreciating while I'm waiting for the body to show up god-knows-when would have really irritated me.  :-)

etto1972

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2016, 10:37:28 pm »

4116 edition Shipping on October 25th! ;D

http://www.adorama.com/hsx1d4116.html

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 10:41:39 am »

That makes me doubly glad that I canceled my pre-order.

I'm "doubly glad" too, because now I may get my camera sooner. As they say in football, next man up.  ;D

Joe

JKevinScott

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 04:02:47 pm »

I'm "doubly glad" too, because now I may get my camera sooner. As they say in football, next man up.  ;D

Joe

:-)

JeffS

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 11:10:10 pm »

Part II video interview with Hasselblad CEO and Kevin reveals that 4, possibly 5, new X1D lenses (in addition to the 3 already announced) will be available by the end of 2017.  No word on specifics, but a roadmap might come in Q1 or Q2.

Jeff

hasselbladfan

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 05:56:25 pm »

Did the special edition finally ship? Or is this one also delayed till December?

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 06:05:28 pm »

Did the special edition finally ship? Or is this one also delayed till December?

Neither the 4116 Edition nor the standard X1D has shipped to customers. Hasselblad has stated that both will begin to be shipped to customers in late November - early December. We likely won't know more until late November. Demo units are being shipped to retailers and to Hasselblad reps.

cmarker

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2016, 10:59:23 am »

I ordered the 4116 special edition from Adorama, just in case it did ship early. It did not and I was notified that it is back ordered as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up