Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Export Images from LR6 without losing file size  (Read 2183 times)

rollsman44

How to Export Images from LR6 without losing file size
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:00:48 pm »

When I export images from LR the Image size is reduced, Ex: File size Before Export 25Mb  after Exporting they are much smaller say 18MB
   Am I doing something wrong ?  Thank you
  I am using 300dpi as well

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: How to Export Images from LR6 without losing file size
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:11:29 pm »

What format and bit depth are you using for the export? In fact, what are all the settings in your export dialog box?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:10:01 am »

First, make sure this check box is off, then NO resampling, then understand that the file size reported on the drive from the Finder can differ (file format, whether layers which LR can't support were originally intact etc) from the original. If check box is off, you're fine.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rollsman44

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:13:43 am »

Thank you. I have to check these that you mentioned. I will get back to the forum sometime tonight or Sat . I appreciate it,  Dennis

rollsman44

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 08:54:21 am »

I checked off the box but it does NOT allow me to adjust the file size. I can't adjust the jpeg size. Also, I don't see anything that says Resampling.  I am Exporting my adjusted files and 300dpi is selected. Any other suggestions?   Thank you  Dennis

Arlen

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »

If you uncheck the Resize to Fit box, then it won't do any resampling. And your pixel dimensions will remain unchanged. As for adjusting file size via jpeg compression--which if I understand you correctly, is what you are after--look under the File Settings section, and with format Jpeg selected, a Quality slider will be evident. Adjusting that slider changes file size and image quality, with lower values yielding smaller file sizes but lower quality. A setting of about 55 is considered moderate quality, and of about 85 is high quality. Experiment to see which setting serves you best.

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 02:00:19 pm »

Here is a screen shot of what Reply #2 was telling you to do.  These settings export your LR image as a sharpened for screen, 100% quality jpg with no image resizing.  Your exported jpg will be the same pixel dimension as your image in LR.  There will be no image resizing.

Arlen

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 02:42:49 pm »

It may be worth noting that every time a jpeg is saved, the compression is recalculated, so even at the 100% quality setting the resulting output file size will differ slightly from a starting original jpeg file; and markedly of course if the original file format is not jpeg. Sharpening also will change the output file size. Further, even at 100% quality setting, serially resaving a jpeg will gradually degrade the image quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up