Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Irvin's  (Read 1409 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Irvin's
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:56:58 pm »

?? any thoughts? Shot this yesterday near the photo I uploaded yesterday. Not sure myself. Kinda creepy.
One Day At A Time

wmchauncey

Re: Irvin's
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:27:56 am »

Clearly, my friend, you have not had the pleasure of viewing the rather diverse "lawn art"
that decorates the front yards of our Appalachia communities in the USA.
The things you do for yourself die with

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 03:59:01 pm »

Clearly, my friend, you have not had the pleasure of viewing the rather diverse "lawn art"
that decorates the front yards of our Appalachia communities in the USA.
LOL but I have. I have decided this was inspired by the old Saturday Night Live, "Oh No, Mr Bill"!
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:35:54 pm »

Another View. A preference?  I prfer this one, but the creepy man isn't as dominant.
One Day At A Time

John R

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 02:35:26 am »

I would crop and triangulate the red subjects. You will create a nice movement of the eye from red to to red to red, with blue and green frame. And I like the brighter, glow-like light of the larger image. Always pay attention to the light.

JR

N80

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:58:16 am »

I would love to see it in B&W with a cliché of a vignette. Seriously.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:40:01 pm »

I far, far prefer the second version. I think you may be getting hung up on the content of the photo, ie "there's a freaky looking man sculpture" rather than stepping back and seeing it as a visual composition. Remember Cartier-Bresson's trick of looking at prints upside down to see if he still liked them? That was his way of trying to avoid that.

As ever, this only what I like, and there are plenty of rich artists whose work doesn't impress me, so... :-)

Richowens

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:13:38 pm »

Here it is with a slight crop, B&W conversion, and vignette.

Personally I think it makes a nice photo.

Todd, if it offends you or you don't like it just say so and I will remove it ASAP.

Rich

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:18:19 pm by Richowens »

N80

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:06:31 pm »

That's what I'm talking about!
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 05:47:40 am »

Yes :)

Now you see you have the triple repetition of the rectangular sign, the triangles of the shed roofs, the triangle formed by all the elements (roofs, mast-sign, truck-sign), the diagonals in the clouds...

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 08:40:09 pm »

I far, far prefer the second version. I think you may be getting hung up on the content of the photo, ie "there's a freaky looking man sculpture" rather than stepping back and seeing it as a visual composition. Remember Cartier-Bresson's trick of looking at prints upside down to see if he still liked them? That was his way of trying to avoid that.

As ever, this only what I like, and there are plenty of rich artists whose work doesn't impress me, so... :-)
Thanks and you are right. It was the "thing" that made me pull over to shoot but I didn't find a way to use it as a subject that I liked. I did like this immediately as I walked up however. NEVER worry about hurting my feelings. They are not involved here. I learn so MUCH from honest input. It is inspiring to see and hear what others see in what I have seen.
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »

I would crop and triangulate the red subjects. You will create a nice movement of the eye from red to to red to red, with blue and green frame. And I like the brighter, glow-like light of the larger image. Always pay attention to the light.

JR
Thanks JR, I will work with that this weekend. There was something about the reds that was bothering me; I think I was being pulled in too many directions; I like your idea of cropping to resolve this, and I like the black and white solution. Thank you again, t
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 08:46:16 pm »

I would love to see it in B&W with a cliché of a vignette. Seriously.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was having conflict with the reds and this idea resolves that. Thanks, t
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 08:58:06 pm »

Here it is with a slight crop, B&W conversion, and vignette.

Personally I think it makes a nice photo.

Todd, if it offends you or you don't like it just say so and I will remove it ASAP.

Rich

Rich- PLEASE NEVER worry about my feelings. I so much appreciate your showing me your vision and thoughts. It is twice as helpful to see it as to hear it. And I LIKE what you did with it better. I have spent an entire career cutting and coloring client's hair. Rejection and different opinions do not bother me in the least. I appreciate them and learn from them. And with photographs, at least they don't burst into tears and tell you they don't "like it". That happened a lot in the early days and always provided huge opportunities to improve the "next time". So, Thank you, t
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up