Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dehaze?  (Read 14133 times)

ButchM

Re: Dehaze?
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 01:47:39 pm »

To repeat, so you don't have a problem fleecing the gullible then?

How is it "fleecing the gullible" if the gullible are paying freely? It's not as though these presets we are discussing are necessary for our mere existence or mandated by a higher authority. It purely an optional purchase without any requirement whatsoever.

The same could be said of the very Adobe software you and I use each and every day. Not all end users are capable of or inclined to code their own software solutions. So we pay others to do that for us.

You and I are not only capable of but also inclined to create our own Lr Develop presets ... should that equate to all end users? Not all Lightroom users are willing to go the route of creating their own presets. In fact they are quite likely not to ever use presets at all if they didn't buy them first.

While you and I might prefer and encourage Lr users explore the positive aspects of rolling their own presets, it's not a task everyone embraces.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 02:28:41 pm »

How is it "fleecing the gullible" if the gullible are paying freely? It's not as though these presets we are discussing are necessary for our mere existence or mandated by a higher authority. It purely an optional purchase without any requirement whatsoever.

Hmm..  You mean kind of like that million dollar mansion on a private island in the Bahamas that I sell to people that pay freely?
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 02:42:48 pm »

How is it "fleecing the gullible" if the gullible are paying freely?

The gullible pay freely because... wait for it... they are gullible. Does that make it right or honest to fleece them?

uintaangler

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 03:04:53 pm »

The gullible pay freely because... wait for it... they are gullible. Does that make it right or honest to fleece them?

That's a question for Donald Trump to answer for us

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 03:07:53 pm »

Which of the multiple and differing answers should we accept?  :o
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

uintaangler

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 03:12:19 pm »

Which of the multiple and differing answers should we accept?  :o

Hopefully, we will accept none of his answers ( actually can you even call them answers? )

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 04:09:19 pm »

Trump Presets, the best, the best. Won't work in Spanish or Arabic, great in Russian. Hey, who cares?

ButchM

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 08:57:37 pm »

The 'fleecing' of which you speak is purely your subjective view, not an accurate reflection of reality.

There is no arm twisting or extortion involved.

Do I think purchasing Lr Develop Presets is a wise investment? No, I do not. It is also not unethical or dishonest to offer others a solution for a fee which customers feel is a worthwhile investment.

Heck, do you call it 'fleecing' when you are hired to photograph a job that the client could very well do themselves? If you do take on such a task for a fee, are you being dishonest with a gullible customer?

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 09:50:56 pm »

Heck, do you call it 'fleecing' when you are hired to photograph a job that the client could very well do themselves? If you do take on such a task for a fee, are you being dishonest with a gullible customer?

Now that..  Would be actual work.

While what so many presets that I've seen do are dead simple quick for someone with even a mediocre understanding of LR's Develop module.  They're taking advantage of, IMO, brand spanking new LR users that are wow'd by what LR itself can do.  What wouldn't be so bad is giving them away for free, but with an option to DONATE for those that want to do so.

Sure it's subjective, but so are many issues of societal acceptance of morality.  But then again, what do I know - taking advantage of people seems to stem from what could be called The American Way - like the bottled water business (although I know it's not only Americans).

That's not to say that there could be some presets that actually are more advanced, but I can't think of any off-hand - although that's probably because I've never boughten any. :)

That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it.   8)

I like the idea of Donald Trump presets..  "Trump's All-American Preset Pack" -- made in China.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:03:50 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

ButchM

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 10:30:30 am »

Now that..  Would be actual work.

Is it really actual work?

Most pros make what they do look drop dead easy to others. Is there really a difference?

Sure, you and I (and John) can create a desired preset with little effort. For other users the task could prove to be more effort than necessary.

Once again, we are discussing a pure commodity product that is not necessary to sustain our earthly existence. If there were no market, there would not be an effort to offer the product for monetary compensation by the producer. The ease of which to produce that product is purely inconsequential to the matter as it pertains to honesty.

scyth

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2016, 11:06:25 am »

Absurd, unproven.

now that's an argument (as in reasoning, justification, explanation, rationalization)  ;D

Explain all the work in software activation by Adobe and other's to cease the pirating of software.

sure - Adobe makes it reasonably difficult for people who 1) contemplate the stealing, but 2) not too bright ... it is a valid strategy where Adobe strikes the right balance, to gently push sufficient amount of people into buying the product, yet do not create any serious trouble for others

Market share from pirated software doesn't equal income let alone profit.

oh, dear... somebody using a pirated LR is still a good thing, even there is no immediate money to make - first of all it is free advertisement (yes, it is) for Adobe (they are part of ecosystem), then it is a profit denied to competition, then it is usage denied to a free/opensource product, then there is chance that if circumstances will lead to that person buying then he/she will buy Adobe's product, etc, etc -

You a pro photographer?

do I beat my wife also ?

I have to ask as you've got zero transparency about yourself. It's OK if I take your images and sell them (assuming they are sale-able) while I keep the profits?

by all means, I can even assign "C" to you  ;D

scyth

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 11:08:55 am »

Yes, but this is not at all piracy.

of course not at all

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 11:33:04 am »

do I beat my wife also ?
With your lack of transparency, I'll take that as no, you're not a pro photographer or sell anything you produce. As such, it's not unreasonable that you wouldn't believe in the concept that people who create something deserve compensation for their efforts (and no, making a preset isn't creating something but as illustrated, taking the income from those who did; Adobe).

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »

no, making a preset isn't creating something
That could be debatable.
taking the income from those who did; Adobe).
I assume you're talking about the specific case of a chargeable preset that uses CC only features ?
Again debatable. I've downloaded the free Prolost set to see whether they're any good, but in no way will that lose Adobe any income. I will NOT buy a subscription to LR, but I will keep upgrading my copy whilst Adobe offer upgrades (and there's nothing that suits be better).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 12:15:46 pm »

That could be debatable.I assume you're talking about the specific case of a chargeable preset that uses CC only features ?
Yes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up