Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Head for Medium Format landscape photography  (Read 3351 times)

Ghaag

Tripod Head for Medium Format landscape photography
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:59:35 pm »

I was hoping to get a recommendation for a Tripod Head for Medium Format landscape photography.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Tripod Head for Medium Format landscape photography
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:09:38 pm »

I was hoping to get a recommendation for a Tripod Head for Medium Format landscape photography.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Arca Swiss C1 Cube. Sure, it's expensive. So is your MF camera. But it's a precision tool that's perfect for making fine adjustments rapidly and accurately.

I recommend that you not get the one with the built-in, and now not removable, lever clamp. Stick with the screw-tightening clamp. It's safer, and you won't break fingernails.

Jim

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:44:56 pm »

Hi,

Jim is probably right the C1 Cube. I have the Arca Swiss D4, that is a good one, too. On mine I have replaced the lever type quick release with a lever type clamp from RRS. I like lever type qr-clamps, but the Arca version is to flimsy for my taste.

I have also the RRS BH-55, but almost never use it.

Best regards
Erik

Arca Swiss C1 Cube. Sure, it's expensive. So is your MF camera. But it's a precision tool that's perfect for making fine adjustments rapidly and accurately.

I recommend that you not get the one with the built-in, and now not removable, lever clamp. Stick with the screw-tightening clamp. It's safer, and you won't break fingernails.

Jim
Erik Kaffehr

SrMi

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:00:52 pm »

I own C1, D4 and KPS T5 geared ballheads. All of them are great and have their advantages, all of them are geared, my preference for landscape photography. Currently I use mainly KPS. IMO, C1 is the most precise, KPS the quickest to use. Both D4 and KPS combine the speed of a ballhead with the precision of a geared head.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:26:03 pm »

I would recommend a geared head as it allows for one handed adjustments unlike a bullhead.

I use the D4 geared and love it. I agree with previous comments, DO NOT get the lever release unless you are going to only use one brand of plate on your camera.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:01 pm »

I use the KPS-T5 with an RRS Panorama clamp base on top.

SrMi

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 12:17:36 am »

I use the KPS-T5 with an RRS Panorama clamp base on top.

Same here, as I prefer the RRS lever system to the screw tightening plate of KPS.  The problem is that HTS 1.5 does not work with the RRS Panorama clamp, while it works fine with KPS-T5 original plate. KPS has a new version of T5 which allows an RRS plate to be screwed in directly (no clamp version).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:39:10 am by SrMi »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:12:32 am »

Same here, as I prefer the RRS lever system to the screw tightening plate of KPS.  The problem is that HTS 1.5 does not work with the RRS Panorama clamp, while it works fine with KPS-T5 original plate. KPS has a new version of T5 which allows an RRS plate to be screwed in directly (no clamp version).
I have the one where it mounts directly to the ball stem.  I've had it for a little over a year from the US distributor so it's not that new ;) just newer :)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 08:59:30 am »

Medium format covers quite a range of camera styles, all capable of landscape.  Honestly, geared heads and such I prefer when using a tech cam, or something else that is generally pointed straight ahead and benefits from small adjustments. (not to say other cameras dont)  If I am using an SLR style camera (Hasselblad H body for example) I greatly prefer a ballhead.  At least when I do landscape photography, I am always hunting for little details to go with the landscapes which involves me getting the camera to some odd angles.  I find the ballheads are quicker and more flexible in this regard.  Again, this is just based on my style of working.

I also generally have a nodal slide and panoramic clamp of some sort attached to my setup.  That way I can turn the camera level after locking down the ballhead.  It also allows me to actually center the weight over the tripod.  (yes, and I can make panos too)

I prefer the RRS BH-55 and their pano gear personally. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Herbc

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:36:33 am »

Geared head- D4- C1 is overkill and very heavy 8)

Ghaag

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 02:03:28 pm »

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 06:53:19 pm »

I like the Cullmann Titan heads. Its what I know, and is solid. Other than that , I love my geared heads the Bogen 3263's
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:54:17 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Ghibby

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 12:02:04 pm »

Have a look at the FLM range.  The CB48FTR is rather to 45kg and the CB58FTR is rated to 60kg.

German engineered, they are beautifully made and the PRS function is a very clever system that allows the the ball to rotate in one plane only. It can be added after purchase to many of their heads.

FLM Professional Heads

The updated range of Gitzo Centre balls look good to.  I use one of the older ones (GH2780QR) and it's been through a lot, still as good as new mechanically speaking. Newer ones are supposed to be more durable still.

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up