Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phase one P30 on LF camera  (Read 2999 times)

Endeavour

phase one P30 on LF camera
« on: August 28, 2016, 01:14:28 pm »

I have a shen-hao 4x5 camera and wondered if its possible to use my P30+ back with it?

I'm not looking for a pro solution that will cost me hundreds in adapters. I was wondered if I could DIY something myself. I have the cables to fire the p30 (either from a shutter release and/or from the copal lens)

I did a couple of bodge tests, where I fitted the p30 in a light tight box with the lens projecting a reasonably sharp image onto the sensor plane, but even though I could trigger an exposure - the p30 didnt actually record anything in the image, if I bumped up the iso to 1600 I get a lot of sensor noise, and lines, but no image detail

putting the complexities of achieving focus to one side for a moment is there something specific I need to do with the back to get it to record the image projected on the sensor?
I have set the capture mode to 'normal' (dont really understand mode 1 or 2 - the docs are scant) and the latency is set to long.

Do I need to do anything with the mount contacts or should it 'just work' with all the parts in the correct locations?

thanks

Theodoros

Re: phase one P30 on LF camera
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »

Much better off, if you use a "fat pixel" 22mp Kodak sensor back on a view camera... P30 is a back with microlenses aimed primarily for fashion photography.

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:22:02 pm »

Thanks, but thats not at all what I asked.

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:28:27 pm »

Are you using an "one-shot" cable? P1 backs don't sync "directly" as Imacon/Hasselblad and Sinarbacks do...

jng

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »

I have set the capture mode to 'normal' (dont really understand mode 1 or 2 - the docs are scant) and the latency is set to long.

I think you'll need a one-shot cable release to wake up the back prior to the actual exposure, and set the latency to short (see here). On the later generation Phase One backs there is a "zero latency" setting which side-steps the need for a one-shot cable when shooting on tech cams etc. From a quick Google search I don't think your back gives you that option.

- John

Ray R

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:11:29 am »

What fitting is the P30.

I have a P45 V fitting and some years ago I bought a cheap sliding adapter to try it on a Horseman 5x4.
(edited) to remove item about focusing.

I think on a P30+ you can focus using the screen.

You need a cable to connect the lens to the back, and (on the P45) you can activate the shutter to wake up the back, reset it and then activate it again to take the image. You need to do this wishing 4-5 seconds.
It is more convienient with a one shot cable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:37:52 am by Ray R »

Ray R

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:39:28 am »

I know that you don't want to spend hundreds on adapters, but here is a link to something to consider - this was the first one I found.
https://www.amazon.com/Hasselblad-Adapter-Linhof-Horseman-Camera/dp/B00RL0E2O2

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »

Yea, what Ray says.  Sounds like a wake up issue, so shoot, recock, shoot and the second shot should be what you capture.

http://www.kapturegroup.com/phase/phase.html#4x4one_a
t: @PNWMF

Endeavour

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 01:33:43 pm »

thanks, that's what I was doing.

I trigger a shot which wakes the back up, then need to take the real shot within 5 seconds.

triggering isnt the issue, the issue is the sensor isnt recording the light which is thrown onto it, it just records nothing. unless it's connected to my H1

Ray R

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 02:36:43 pm »

I have just tried my P45.

Using the single shot cable, and the protective plate, I pressed the shutter to wake the back up. Then pressed it a second time. (pressing a third time causes a Image exposed during sensor readout.

I then took the plate off and tried again.

The back seems to set the exposure time, and the result was no exposure - although I did get what appears to be interference recorded. I tried 100 and 400 ISO. And also pointing at a bright light.

Ray

Endeavour

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 02:49:18 pm »

I have just tried my P45.

Using the single shot cable, and the protective plate, I pressed the shutter to wake the back up. Then pressed it a second time. (pressing a third time causes a Image exposed during sensor readout.

I then took the plate off and tried again.

The back seems to set the exposure time, and the result was no exposure - although I did get what appears to be interference recorded. I tried 100 and 400 ISO. And also pointing at a bright light.

Ray

sounds like what I am seeing (or not seeing as the case may be)

Ray R

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 04:15:26 pm »

I have the P45 on a Fotoman Dmini - there are no connections from the camera to the back other than the physical attachments.

Other than to suggest you buy an adapter plate that will fit the camera and the back, I don't have any other ideas.

You may find one at a good price as some people don't know what they are (I had a Mamiya RB adapter attached to the camera at  good price because the 2 were jammed together, got them apart and sold the adapter for double) so just keep looking.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasselblad-H-adapter-to-linhof-sinar-toyo-horseman-wista-4x5-camera-/182211788630?hash=item2a6cab3f56:g:wegAAOSwDNdV2~BH

As for the one shot cable I don't have the Kapture one, but it wasn't cheap, but to begin with I would just activate the shutter twice.

I gave up with the Horseman, but only because I couldn't use my back to focus and had to use a small screen.. When it worked it produced some good images.

Good Luck

Ray
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:26:23 pm by Ray R »

Endeavour

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »

thanks

If it needs an adapter plate then that suggests some electrical contact needs to be made doesnt it? (or mechanical,  via the lock mechanism)

I'm now wondering what the 4 silver metal contacts are above and below the sensor - anyone know?

Ray R

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 03:33:11 am »

thanks

If it needs an adapter plate then that suggests some electrical contact needs to be made doesnt it? (or mechanical,  via the lock mechanism)

I'm now wondering what the 4 silver metal contacts are above and below the sensor - anyone know?

All the adapter plate does is mechanically fit the back to the camera.

I have the Fotoman Dmini,a plate for a Mamiya RB and an adapter for a Horseman 5x4.  The Fotoman and the Horseman only allow a physical fit to the camera with NO other connections. The shutter is connected by a cable from the flash sync.

The Mamiya allows for the camera to activate the back when the shutter is pressed but a PC Sync cable is still required. But a one shot cable is not required.

No electrical contact is required and I don't know what they are for.

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up