Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Indesign for Portfolio Layout  (Read 1479 times)

Analogue_Rob

• Rob Youngson Photography
Using Indesign for Portfolio Layout
« on: August 28, 2016, 12:52:56 pm »

Hi all,

I'll be posting a fair bit over the coming months as i'm fairly new to printing and am putting together my printed portfolio. So forgive my learning curve and thanks in advance!

I have seen a lot on LL about ImagePrint but I already have Indeisgn and can't spend on more software. I am using it to design and re-design and re-design my layout. So far i'm enjoying that part. However I want to make sure I get the best quality possible, I am exporting from lightroom as TIFFS in to Indesign and plan to print from indesign through my Epson 3880 on to Hahnmuhle Album paper (double sided)

Firstly, is there anything I should watch out for exporting from lightroom and importing in to Indesign.
What might trip me up printing from Indesign (should i somehow export back to lightroom to make use of the print module or something similar?)

Would love to hear others experiences!

Many thanks,

Rob

Rob Youngson - Unit Stills Photographer by Day, Analogue Photographer by Night www.robyoungsonphotography.com - Instagram/Twitter - @unitstillsrob

huluvu

Re: Using Indesign for Portfolio Layout
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 02:55:52 pm »

Hi Rob,

I'm going the exact same route for printing my portfolio: My digital RAW files are edited in LR and then exported as 16bit TIFs in ProPhotoRGB profile at 360ppi. I then arrange the TIFs in my InDesign layout and print from there using my Stylus Pro 7880.

Some random tips:
-be sure to convert your .indd file to ProPhotoRGB too
-in the InDesign printing dialog, deactivate color management for ID and let the printer (driver) do its thing – same as printing from PS
-I found that printing layouts from InDesign based on full res TIFs results in a noticeable loss of sharpness. So I figured the resampling being performed by InDesign seems to add a lot of mushiness. After finalizing a layout, I recommend opening each individual TIF in Photoshop and resize it very closely to the actual printing size

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 03:10:52 pm »

Hi Rob,

I'm going the exact same route for printing my portfolio: My digital RAW files are edited in LR and then exported as 16bit TIFs in ProPhotoRGB profile at 360ppi. I then arrange the TIFs in my InDesign layout and print from there using my Stylus Pro 7880.

Some random tips:
-be sure to convert your .indd file to ProPhotoRGB too
-in the InDesign printing dialog, deactivate color management for ID and let the printer (driver) do its thing – same as printing from PS
-I found that printing layouts from InDesign based on full res TIFs results in a noticeable loss of sharpness. So I figured the resampling being performed by InDesign seems to add a lot of mushiness. After finalizing a layout, I recommend opening each individual TIF in Photoshop and resize it very closely to the actual printing size

Why not turn off color management in the printer driver and turn it on in InDesign? You can use your own profiles or 3rd party that way, have control over rendering intent, use soft proofing in Ps, and you can also choose between at least two color processing engines.

About resizing in Id; I resize in Ps and leave ID at 100%. Same idea as what you're doing, but a different workflow.

Jim

huluvu

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:48 am »

Hi Jim, you're right!

Of course I'm disabling CM in the printer and turning it on in InDesign, I just mixed it up while writing my post :)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:05:15 am »

After finalizing a layout, I recommend opening each individual TIF in Photoshop and resize it very closely to the actual printing size
You'll certainly see benefits from resizing correctly to use in InDesign. The easy way is to use a script* that automatically does it for you, round tripping to PS, it's also worth running a sharpening script to the resized images too, a quick run of Photokit sharpener works well via an action.

*http://dlapaev.wixsite.com/home/resampleprojectimagesen
I think this is the current home of this script although it's been hosted elsewhere too.
I've used top good effect when making Blurb books.
Pages: [1]   Go Up