Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gray market  (Read 5481 times)

bluekorn

gray market
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:33:14 pm »

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience dealing with a firm known as Quickndone, a top rated Ebay seller out of Canada. They are selling the Panasonic 12-35 and the 35-100 at very attractive prices for the pair, some $600.00 less than B&H. Has anyone purchased from the grey market that might have insights? Thank you.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: gray market
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 01:13:41 pm »

The problem with grey market it getting warranty service and sometimes even just regular service. Grey market means it was destined for a different location and the company may or may not service it, you may have to send it back to whomever you bought it from. I have bought grey market from B&H before because they would get it serviced, but I am usually very reluctant to buy grey market in general. I would rather have the warranty if needed.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 04:00:38 pm »

I have never had a problem with grey market purchases but that is not to say I won't in the future.  You Pays your money and take your chance.

Brian
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:18:43 pm by brianrybolt »

chez

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 10:09:27 am »

The problem with grey market it getting warranty service and sometimes even just regular service. Grey market means it was destined for a different location and the company may or may not service it, you may have to send it back to whomever you bought it from. I have bought grey market from B&H before because they would get it serviced, but I am usually very reluctant to buy grey market in general. I would rather have the warranty if needed.

Alan

In the example it's a $600 savings which goes a long way to pay for any warranty work. Over the 40 years I've been photographing and uncountable number of cameras and lenses, I only had twice a need for warranty work. I would think if I purchased all my gear as grey market, financially I'd be way ahead even if I had to pay out of pocket for my two warranty cases.

bluekorn

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 04:07:46 pm »

Very happy to get this feedback. Thank you all. I'm wondering Alan, as you noted that the product may be destined for somewhere else, if the quality control might differ on products released for the gray market? Might the lenses be seconds or returns? And thank you again.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:27:05 am »

I think the initial QC would be the same, what the vendor is selling is hard to say, is it straight from the factory? Is it an open box item? Floor sample? I am a cautious person and something like this with a $600 differential would concern me, usually the difference is not that great, which is why I stay away from grey market items. I guess it comes down to the vendor reliability and reputation. There might be nothing wrong with it and may be a bargain, or it may not, a gamble and you can decide if you want to do it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:24:52 pm »

This article (even though it's Nikon-specific) might help you understand few things about what gray market means and what are you probably going to deal with:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-articles/should-i-buy-a-gray-market.html

Speaking of my own experience: buying original Canon 5D from authorized dealer in Russia saved me $3,300. It broke twice during its 2-year warranty period, both times it was the same thing: motherboard failure. First repair took almost two months (with all that "expertise" stuff and such), and even though by the time of second failure I was in fact few weeks beyond (!) 2 years since purchase, warranty period got automatically extended by those two months the first repair took. Since is was the same failure, I got an option to get full refund, which I gladly used -- 5Dmk2 was already out :)

YMMV, as always.

vulture

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 02:31:01 am »

"Gray market" can mean different things depending where you are located and where you are buying from.
I acquired camera bodies from the US market via dealers in Europe saving up to € 1.000,00. Was I buying from grey market?
No problems with warranty if you buy products from manufacturers with worldwide warranty.
Exchange rates and different price tags for different markets come into play.
The big producers use specific pricing for different markets AND exchange rates to their advantage, why shouldn't we do it?

bluekorn

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 07:00:50 pm »

Again, I thank those who responded. I never had to to think through the risk assessment as Panasonic re-established the discounts on the 12-35 and the 35-100 after suspending them for just one week. Presently you can enjoy $200 off on the 12-35 and $400 off on the 35-100 at both Adorama and B&H. I took advantage of the discount and also received $250.00 in gift cards. These savings actually brought the items into line with the gray market prices I was looking at. Thanks again. There is much to refer to here the next time.
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up