Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voyance  (Read 2607 times)

Patricia Sheley

Voyance
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:08:57 am »

~
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Voyance
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:30:01 am »

This one is rich with mystery. Minor would love it, too.

Island life seems to be good for your photography, Patricia!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:01:39 am »

Very good, Patricia. I've been trying to teach my group that from the standpoint of art, mere reportage doesn't get the job done. You can make pleasant landscapes until Hell freezes over but most reactions, at least secretly, will be "ho-hum." There's something more here, and that's what we all should be after. Something more.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 05:42:44 pm »

Now an inhabitant of 44 degrees north and surrounded by sea, the other of place, even as one witnesses the powerful effect on a new visitor who pauses to inhale is often overwhelming. I find myself breathing out loud, "I inhale these lives". A painter, moved here years ago from Finland succumbed, Steinbeck found it haunting him after he departed. I rescinded my request for ashes pitched from Monhegan Island the moment this island became home. Iceland, Aran Islands at Galway Bay and home, lives speaking their sagas if we but quiet ourselves enough to hear...
Lumine!
A common woman~

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:58:52 pm »

Absolutely love this image...great mind trip.

Peter

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »

+1. I'm in complete agreement with the earlier comments. Additionally, it wasn't until I enlarged your image that I discovered the Nikon on the table. I like that! Well done for sure.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 02:19:22 pm »

Patricia, did we know one another in an earlier life?

Rob C

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:40:32 pm »

Love this photo.  :)  Partly mysterious (the man) and partly literal & mundane (the camera). Like a still image from a dream.

When I was young my folks & I made a handful of trips to the Bar Harbor area. What I remember most vividly about them is the crisp wind carrying with it the scent of the sea. (The attached pic is from one of those trips, c. mid-1965, taken by my dad on a day when I must've been especially bratty.)

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »

Love this photo.  :)  Partly mysterious (the man) and partly literal & mundane (the camera). Like a still image from a dream.

When I was young my folks & I made a handful of trips to the Bar Harbor area. What I remember most vividly about them is the crisp wind carrying with it the scent of the sea. (The attached pic is from one of those trips, c. mid-1965, taken by my dad on a day when I must've been especially bratty.)

-Dave-

Couldn't do that today: a million PC officers wouldn't see the humour and your Dad would end up on all manner of charges. It's the difference between now and the way we were. I get similar feelings of loss looking at a lot of good olde street work: at least three guys I admire would be in prison - probably in solitary, for snapping kids going about their lives. What is it about today that all we see is the foul extremist in everything? Are there just more foul extremists?

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:11:46 pm »

Patricia, did we know one another in an earlier life?

Rob C

Ah Robert, you've given me the vapors! You are surely toying with me...is it even within the realms of possibility our time so long ago had been so vacuous?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:31:16 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 11:28:19 pm »

[quote author=Telecaster link=topic=113127.msg930282#msg930282 date=147241323
" Like a still image from a dream."
Love this Dave! Time behind the lens feels exactly so...images in dream.

" c. mid-1965, taken by my dad on a day when I must've been especially bratty.)"
Surely your dad missed the mandatory recycling segregation sign! That is a wonderful photo to carry forward. That you have it attests to love passed forward, and for someone of the next generation to cherish it's meaning and import would be the hand on shoulder, the touch of generations past to hopes for future. Good on ya!

Lumine!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:32:29 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 12:14:07 am »

[quote author=RSL " until Hell freezes over but most reactions, at least secretly, will be "ho-hum." There's something more here, and that's what we all should be after. Something more.
"
Thanks for those thoughts Russ. Would like to drift to that event along the way one day, a location where the reflected melts and luminescences gave rise to the shock and awes that meld anatomies/landscapes. There are landscapes and there are landscapes, and heartily agree, the trip is the something other.
A common woman~

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:35 am »

[quote author=petermfiore ..."great mind trip."

Peter, if you had been the one to catch his emanations, I know you would have found them strongly familiar...could've been you~
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:49 am »

Ah Robert, you've given me the vapors! You are surely toying with me...is it even within the realms of possibility our time so long ago had been so vacuous?

Patricia, it's entirely possible: my life has been a sentence of varnishing, and lived almost entirely within its heady vapours - so yeah, perhaps yours come from within the same pot? I always knew there was a sound, explosive reason that I gave up cigarettes. I used to like hunting out suppliers of Chesterfield... they had nice packs. I didn't sniff at Luck Strike, either, because I knew that "Lucky Strike means Fine Tobacco". P. Morris also smelled delightful consumed with panache within the darkness of a cinema's back row. They were all a bit difficult to find in a deprived city, which gave them that added je ne sais quoi. Who says design in advertising doesn't pay? Funny thing: I had more friends when I smoked them. In Britain there ran a campaign illustrated by some Sinatra look-alive standing under a lamp post, lighting up a cigarette. The slogan read along the lines of 'you're never alone with a Strand' but I don't think that worked very well or even for long. Perhaps it worked in Liverpool. There, they have an obsessive fear of being alone. How many people does anyone need?

Why is it, or how can it be that shutters that have had at least thirty-plus years of coats of the stuff applied to them - marine varnish, I'll remind you, not cheap domestic trash - still manage to lose their virginity and harbour the seeds of black rottenness underneath some of those multiple layers of protective skin? It's not like they are even dipped in the ocean, which is what marine varnish is designed (it says on the tin) to withstand. Flash thought: perhaps they need the sea to cure them! After all, people do season timbers by sticking them into the sea for months at a time.

Clearly, I'm a fish out of water.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:45:29 am by Rob C »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 07:26:15 am »

Like it too. It keeps you wondering about the what and the how?

Cheers,
Bernard

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 11:23:33 am »

"those multiple layers of protective skin? It's not like they are even dipped in the ocean, which is what marine varnish is designed (it says on the tin"

Rob,
When you say "marine", equating to Spar Varnish? Keep in mind that adding a layer without having first sanded for new tooth overall to which the new layer will adhere to and seal properly, simply the laborious enough work of adding a layer without sanding provides the guaranteed sites for delamination of the layers and moisture intrusion (and also in your climes, bacteria to provide the dark you describe)

Many have no problem living with their spars blacksome with age and layers, but those seeking the brilliant life of the original grains and color of air dried wood know that the sanding and re-sanding is the price extracted. ;)
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:55 pm »

"those multiple layers of protective skin? It's not like they are even dipped in the ocean, which is what marine varnish is designed (it says on the tin"

Rob,
When you say "marine", equating to Spar Varnish? Keep in mind that adding a layer without having first sanded for new tooth overall to which the new layer will adhere to and seal properly, simply the laborious enough work of adding a layer without sanding provides the guaranteed sites for delamination of the layers and moisture intrusion (and also in your climes, bacteria to provide the dark you describe)

Many have no problem living with their spars blacksome with age and layers, but those seeking the brilliant life of the original grains and color of air dried wood know that the sanding and re-sanding is the price extracted. ;)

Hi Patricia,

Don't know anything about Spar - use a product by Titan which always worked well in the past.

I know, sanding is the way to go, but you can't sand the blades of a shutter - it would take you a lifetime or two per shutter, and mine are legion (shutters - jury still pondering a verdict on lifetimes - mine).

I think you are actually right about the dampness. The weather has definitely changed here for the worse: the rain and lightning/thunder storms of the 80s are no more; instead it's not even all that rainy in winter - so we are having water problems in parts of the island. But, in its place, we get a lot more humidity from very hot but cloudy days that seldom bring the aquatic pay-off.

The blackness is a product of the last two or three years - no further back than that - so I can't really blame technique as it's always done by the same guy: me. The other thing that crossed my mind was animal urine - we have a lot of wildlife just across in the field that used to be a farm but is now turing back into pine forest. I do see the odd cat come up onto the terrace to drink from the watering can I keep there for the potted plants - we used to have around twenty-three or twenty-five cats about twenty years ago - all from a litter of two abandoned females whose mother walked them along the edge of the farm, looked up at our Alsabrador trying to be fierce, and promptly decided they'd be safe with us and off her hands. So she dumped them. How quickly cats breed! But they never peed on the premises. Perhaps only strays do that to try and claim territory, but no, I can't say I detect that distinct smell at all. So I guess it has to come down to 'natural' dampness after all.

There is always the alternative of aluminium shutters, but having bought the real deal, no way I'd go digital on wood! Varnished pine looks beautiful as long as you keep the honey tones. That's how the terrace looks, but the outer ones on the windows have had to be done in a much darker varnish to hide the discolouration from weathering. That varnish is then fnished with a coat of straight marine.

Which was our little lesson for the day; even I feel better for the telling.

;-)

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up