Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QTR Curves for Epson R2400  (Read 3942 times)

N80

QTR Curves for Epson R2400
« on: August 26, 2016, 04:13:33 pm »

I am going to explore printing with QTR on my Epson R2400 with the Epson UC K3 inks. I do not have the hardware to do my own printer profiles. QTR comes with a few, but very few, profiles for the photo black ink. I do not plan on printing on matte or watercolor paper. So I have several questions:

Is it possible that there are curves that other individuals have made for this printer that they would share or make available for purchase? If so, where?

Also, the cure/profile names are a bit cryptic. I can figure out a few of them. Where could I get a 'key' to these names? Or possibly would someone here know what they meant? Examples:

UCpk-IlfordSmooth-neut. Obviously this is Ultra Chrome photo black on Alford Smooth neutral tone. But which Ilford Smooth? There are 4 'smooth' papers in their Galerie Prestige line. Can I assume it is the Smooth Gloss?

Then:

UCpk-raw-neut. Is this just a generic curve? If so, would a generic QTR curve give me any better results than Epson ABW or system level color management?

The only other curve is for Museo Silver Rag, so just a total of three (each with 4 tones).

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Just a novice trying to work my way up. Thanks.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

N80

Re: QTR Curves for Epson R2400
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:34:45 pm »

I've asked this question in the Yahoo QTR forums and have gotten no answer there either. Tried making a print with one of the provided generic curves (labeled as 'raw neutral') and got no better results than with Epson ABW. A good bit worse in fact.

So this means that if there are no shared or tradable curves out there for the R2400 for various photo papers then QTR will not be of much value without the ability to make my own curves.
George

N80

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:38:01 pm »

Okay, I know I'm the only one in this discussion but here is what Roy Harrington had to say in the Yahoo QTR forum:

"You'll probably be fine using the existing curves. The ilfordsmooth for most photo papers. Silver rag for baryta papers."

Another member also said:

"I have found that the Ilford smooth curve works very well for IGFS on most of the printers that I've tried it on."

This does not reassure me that I will do any better with QTR than with ABW. But QTR is shareware. I'll try these two curves out and see how they compare to Epson ABW and if they do well I'll purchase QTR.

I'm not knocking QTR but if you cannot make your own curves and if there isn't a database of curves out there for you to choose from then QTR does not add too much capability for an older model prosumer level printer like the R2400.
George

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:26:08 am »

I am in Windows, where the situation is a bit worse for QTR than on a Mac.

I stopped using QTR as a driver years ago. I continued to use it to make ICC profiles for ABW, allowing me to softproof and to have better control of the shadows, mainly.

Now I just print in colour using profiles I make with ArgyllCMS. The B&W results measure very, very close to ABW for neutral files. I can now use toning in my photo editor and get much more predictable results.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

Peter Langham

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »

For me, the ability to split tone and/ or blend the various curves alone is worth it.  Easier to find the tone you want and split toning adds a whole other level.  I also believe that the QTR curves try to use less color ink then ABW and/or print in color with profiles.  I scanned and enlarged test prints years ago, and as I recall, it was easy to see when you enlarged enough to see the individual dots. This should in theory lead to less tone shift in the future.   I have always used one of the existing curves and relinearized for the paper I was using, but the reality is that the changes I ended up making were frequently quite small.  I think you would be fine using existing curves most of the time.  If you are looking for huge differences in print quality between QTR and ABW, you may be disappointed.  For me it is more subtle, but real.  In addition, the ability to get "under the hood" in various ways has been useful for me, but perhaps less for others.

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »

For all QTR quality assessments, it is important to say if it is on Mac or on Windows. It doesn't work the same on both platforms.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen
Pages: [1]   Go Up