Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Focusing tilt-shift with fixed LCD, possible?

(1/2) > >>

-chrille-:
I am interested in a 24 mm tilt-shift for Canon and just wonder if it is possible to set plane of focus and small adjustments for nailing the focus using the on camera fixed LCD monitor? Do I need off camera external LCD monitor? What is your recommendation? I am using Canon 6D body and subjects may be landscape, architecture and also wide field close ups of flowers.

Rado:
Yes, use Live View with the 5x-10x zoom function to focus/tilt. Maybe try to rent the lens to see if it's good enough for you?

Bart_van_der_Wolf:

--- Quote from: -chrille- on August 26, 2016, 06:53:07 am ---I am interested in a 24 mm tilt-shift for Canon and just wonder if it is possible to set plane of focus and small adjustments for nailing the focus using the on camera fixed LCD monitor? Do I need off camera external LCD monitor? What is your recommendation? I am using Canon 6D body and subjects may be landscape, architecture and also wide field close ups of flowers.
--- End quote ---

Hi,

Yes it is possible, but not very convenient if you're shooting from a very low (or high) position. For that, an external (tablet) screen is very handy. Canon cameras are usually well supported with wired and wireless (Live View) capabilities and solutions by various sellers.

I use (with a different camera) the DSLR controller and Helicon Remote Apps on Android phones/tablets, and the former has a possibility to add a wireless option with an additional (custom flashed) TP-Link WiFi connection.

Another, preconfigured WiFi option is offered by "CamRanger".

Canon also offers a free App on Android, called "EOS Remote", which is compatible with an EOS 6D (WG)/(W).

Cheers,
Bart

SrMi:
Yes, it is possible. I use the multi-step technique described in Rod Planck's ebook "Field Applications of Nikon PC-E and Other TS Lenses".

-chrille-:
Thats good news, thanks!

BartvanderWolf: By the way and also off topic. I was playing a bit with Canon Remote EOS app on Iphone. Have you tried it? Very easy to use but I miss the 10x zoom mode. I can only zoom in 5x as max. Just tap the screen and it zooms to 5x but not to 10x. The magnifier button on camera body does also only apply 5x as max zoom in the Remote EOS application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version