Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plain Robbery  (Read 2256 times)

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
Plain Robbery
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:21:57 pm »

I'm sort of interested in older digital cameras. I'm not a true collector, I've got only a very few of them. I like their style (pictures and camera itself). That's why I browse through second hand offers time by time.
One of our major photography equipment resellers (Megapixel.cz) runs an online second hand camera shop. There's also an online calculator if you want to offer them your camera for repurchasing.

Out of a curiosity I selected an offered camera (Pentax K20D body - full accessories - almost no traces of use) and used it in the repurchase calculator to check what would I get for such a camera.
The repurchase calculator has set the price to CZK 350 ($14). But they sell such a camera, in the same condition for CZK 4900 ($196). That's 14 times more!

Newer/more expensive cameras haven't got such a mad repurchase/reselling prices ratio, but with these old models it's really so insane. I know - they spend time by checking and cleaning repurchased cameras (well, another renowned reseller tried to offer me a Pentax ist*D I was interested in and it was all dirty, sticky and with flat batteries), they pay some taxes, they offer a 6 month warranty to the next owner and they still want to profit. But the price 14 times higher is a plain robbery IMO.

I tried to contact them through their website and ask them if these prices were OK. But they haven't replied and the ratio has been still the same. :(
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Plain Robbery
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:29:40 pm »

Well that is their line of business, to buy low and sell high. Maybe you could find a similar camera from a different source at a better price?
-MattB

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:08:56 am »

Yes it is a free market - nothing wrong with that.  I have an old (2004?) Canon D30 3 Megapixel DSLR.  I should think it's resale value is almost zero.  But it still works and makes very good pictures with a top lens attached.  One day it will be worth a fortune I should think......

Must be very satisfying for a dealer to actually make some real money from selling cameras.  I think they are so screwed down on margins with the new stuff that they probably make more money from selling filters and CF cards than they do even fairly high-end gear.

Jim

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:32:09 am »

they spend time by checking and cleaning repurchased cameras (well, another renowned reseller tried to offer me a Pentax ist*D I was interested in and it was all dirty, sticky and with flat batteries), they pay some taxes, they offer a 6 month warranty to the next owner and they still want to profit.

They also have to store them somewhere, and they run the risk of buying it from you and not selling it, or at the very least paying you now and getting paid themselves god knows when.

But the price 14 times higher is a plain robbery IMO.

I don't think so...

Try to look at absolute numbers, not just "times", and suppose they had a free stock of used Pentaxes... At what price point selling those would be profitable?

Otto Phocus

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 10:20:33 am »

As others have pointed out it is a matter of monetizing risk.

If a store buys a camera and can't sell it.  The camera store can't go back to the original seller and ask to cancel the deal. 

So the store has to sell the camera for

What they paid for it + the monetized risk of not selling it + the costs of storing and selling the camera + profit (and probably a slew of other costs too)

You may not like the price the store is charging, and the price may be unreasonable for the majority of customers.  But it is not robbery in any sense.

It may not be a price you are willing to pay though. And that's OK.

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." -- Leonard Nimoy.  ;D  (Some may claim it is from some guy named Publilius Syrus, but when was the last time he was asked to do a voice over for a video game?)

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:07:36 pm »

I still have my K-20D stowed away in a box somewhere. For US$200 even in 2016 it's a lot of camera.

-Dave-

scyth

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 04:55:45 pm »

I'm sort of interested in older digital cameras. I'm not a true collector, I've got only a very few of them. I like their style (pictures and camera itself). That's why I browse through second hand offers time by time.
One of our major photography equipment resellers (Megapixel.cz) runs an online second hand camera shop. There's also an online calculator if you want to offer them your camera for repurchasing.

Out of a curiosity I selected an offered camera (Pentax K20D body - full accessories - almost no traces of use) and used it in the repurchase calculator to check what would I get for such a camera.
The repurchase calculator has set the price to CZK 350 ($14). But they sell such a camera, in the same condition for CZK 4900 ($196). That's 14 times more!

Newer/more expensive cameras haven't got such a mad repurchase/reselling prices ratio, but with these old models it's really so insane. I know - they spend time by checking and cleaning repurchased cameras (well, another renowned reseller tried to offer me a Pentax ist*D I was interested in and it was all dirty, sticky and with flat batteries), they pay some taxes, they offer a 6 month warranty to the next owner and they still want to profit. But the price 14 times higher is a plain robbery IMO.

I tried to contact them through their website and ask them if these prices were OK. But they haven't replied and the ratio has been still the same. :(

try KEH - a well known business in USA - see what they do

biker