Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer Suggestions Welcome  (Read 1054 times)

BobDavid

Printer Suggestions Welcome
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:37 am »

I've got an Epson 7890. It is in excellent condition. It rarely requires any head cleaning. The 7890 is far better than the buggy 7900-something about the orange and green inks cause clogging problems. The X900 series is a great solution for high volume printing in a graphic design studio for  matching PMS colors. As for photography, I don't see any benefit.

I no longer print wider than 17." I am thinking about selling the 7890 (lots of fresh ink in the tanks) and replacing it with a 17" printer that will accept rolls of paper. I live in Florida, so there aren't any issues caused by lack of humidity. However, there is a good possibility I will be moving to an arid climate.

I'm looking for suggestions on a 17" printer and wondering how much to sell the 7890 ( with a 90 foot roll of 24" Epson Ultra Premium Lustre paper.

Any ideas?

howardm

Re: Printer Suggestions Welcome
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:28:58 am »

17" roll limits you to 3 models:  Epson P800 w/ optional roll holder or several generations old Canon iPF5100.  There is also the Epson 4900 but so many people have had so many problems w/ it that I can't suggest it.

Honestly, if the 7890 works well and it's not too big, I'd just keep it and feed it 17" rolls

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 12:16:47 pm »

My aging Epson 3800 has been acting cranky after about 7 years (leaking ink out of the PK cartridge, making occasional blobs on margins of prints, filling up the "maintenance cartridge," and emptying the PK cartridge rapidly even though the chip thinks it's still full).

Instead of having it repaired, since I need it for current active projects, I decided it was time to upgrade to the P800. I did so at B&H, because there is a $300 rebate good for purchases made by the end of August. There is also an additional, separate $50 rebate available if you list the serial number of an older Epson printer that you are upgrading from.

The new P800 has sat in my living room for a week and a half now while I crank out prints on the old faithful 3800. So i can't yet vouch for the P800 personally, but all I've read on the LuLa forum suggests that it is a worthy and reliable machine.

I checked Ebay for prices on used 3800s and saw asking prices ranging from $100 to $300.

Oh yes, switching from PK to MK ink and back, as suggested on the LuLa Forum,  seems to have lessened the problem on the 3800. But it is old and is well past normal retirement age.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:34:45 pm »

17" roll limits you to 3 models:  Epson P800 w/ optional roll holder or several generations old Canon iPF5100.  There is also the Epson 4900 but so many people have had so many problems w/ it that I can't suggest it.

Honestly, if the 7890 works well and it's not too big, I'd just keep it and feed it 17" rolls

It's an issue of size. I'd like to have a smaller unit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up