Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: handling of scanned files in Lightroom  (Read 1387 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
handling of scanned files in Lightroom
« on: August 24, 2016, 08:52:17 am »

Hello,

as I already mentioned in a different thread, 'm currently scanning many slides into tif for importing and preparing into Lightroom. The slides are scanned with 2400Dp, as they are ment to end up as small prints or photobooks ( as also stated before, the slides show familily vacation of the 70 / 80ies with just memo value )

I wonder if the sharpening of a scanned tif will be the same as capture sharpening of raw files ? Does this also apply to noise reduction ? Or is there any better way to do so ?

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

sandymc

Re: handling of scanned files in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:38:26 am »

I've recently completed the process of scanning a large number of transparencies and negatives using a Nikon scanner. After experimenting with various workflows, I ended up scanning to Nikon NEF, then converting to DNG in batch via DNG converter, then importing into LR. I chose to go that way largely because of it was the easiest way to efficiently add metadata, and because I could convert to compressed DNGs. A lot of scans take up a LOT of storage. I did experiment with adjustments, including sharpening. I noticed no difference between importing TIFF format scans, Nikon NEF format scans, or converted DNG scans.

Sandy
Pages: [1]   Go Up