Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nostalgic  (Read 1169 times)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Nostalgic
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:17:24 am »

A couple of months ago, at Lorne, Victoria.

Thanks for viewing, CxC welcome

BobDavid

Re: Nostalgic
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:19:10 am »

Interesting color. Maybe the contrast is a bit high. The black hole in the tepee structure is too dark. I'd make the ground parallel to the bottom of the frame.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:15:42 am »

Thanks for your comments Bob. I had (and still have) the dilema of making the ground parallel to the bottom of the frame or leave to its natural slope. Still thinking about it. I'll think also about the inside of the tepee structure (which is a wrecked wooden boat bow) as I my initial intention was to leave it dark, but I'll experiment a bit.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:50:12 am »

A fine shot, Frank. The dog in the background finishes the picture. I don't usually disagree with Bob, but I don't think you need to mess with the ground's shape. It's clear the ground slopes off on the right. It's parallel on the left. But if it were mine I'd surely see if I couldn't find a bit of detail inside the hull of the boat.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »

A fine shot, Frank. The dog in the background finishes the picture. I don't usually disagree with Bob, but I don't think you need to mess with the ground's shape. It's clear the ground slopes off on the right. It's parallel on the left. But if it were mine I'd surely see if I couldn't find a bit of detail inside the hull of the boat.

You're right about the ground. Good catch.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 07:36:58 pm »

Thanks for the comments Russ, I'll look into the detail inside the hull

The dog in the background finishes the picture.

I agree and I have to admit that it was pure luck!

RSL

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »

Cartier-Bresson: "It's always luck. You just have to be receptive, that's all."

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:36:07 pm »

I played a bit with this image. The elements are incredible. Back in the day when I was doing retouching for high-end clients, I'd get assignments to rearrange a picture. I hope I haven't overstepped. If this were a photo journalism picture it would be sinful. Advertising and certain types of fine art photography allow poetic license.  I respect street photography, and I appreciate the amount of practice it takes to be good at it.

What I've done to your picture is different from your intention. I just wanted to demonstrate how malleable photography has become. I think it's wise that Reuters now only accepts jpgs straight from the camera with all exif data intact.

I don't think my interpretation is better than your original. It's just different.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:44:22 pm by BobDavid »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:30:41 pm »

No worries, I like your interpretation too. This is not photojournalism, so poetic license is allowed! I agree that photography has become very malleable, perhaps the key ingredient is doing it with good taste, which unfortunately is not the norm. In this case I think it worked very well, even if as you said it is a different image from mine, where I did not alter any of the elements as taken.

marton

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 07:57:48 pm »

The triangular object on the right is just far too dominant. Same setup, same style, but minus the boat or whatever it is. Feel free to ignore my critique though.

RSL

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 07:17:51 am »

From the standpoint of composition, Bob's revision doesn't help. With the boat in the middle you lose the diagonal line that runs from the dog through the woman and through the boat. You also have the dog leaving the scene rather than entering it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up