Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: P1 at Kina?  (Read 5454 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
P1 at Kina?
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »

Following months of media domination by Hassy, any hot P1 rumors for the upcoming Kina?

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: P1 at Kina?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:19:17 pm »

Following months of media domination by Hassy, any hot P1 rumors for the upcoming Kina?

Cheers,
Bernard

I think Phase have decided to purchase the Ferrari license which Hassy have abandoned :)

More seriously, the Kumamoto earthquake has probably delayed the announcements of the next MF cameras from any manufacturer. I wonder whether Pentax will announce.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:56 pm »

I think Phase have decided to purchase the Ferrari license which Hassy have abandoned :)

Yeah... it looks like Hasselblad had a preference towards Aston Martin instead and if Leica/Sinar goes for Lamborchini, I guess that Porsche licence will be acquired by a new comer...

More seriously, the Kumamoto earthquake has probably delayed the announcements of the next MF cameras from any manufacturer. I wonder whether Pentax will announce.

I doubt that... announcements are different to production, they add prestige and (future) sales to the announcer...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:24:01 pm »

Yeah... it looks like Hasselblad had a preference towards Aston Martin instead and if Leica/Sinar goes for Lamborchini, I guess that Porsche licence will be acquired by a new comer...

I doubt that... announcements are different to production, they add prestige and (future) sales to the announcer...

Osborne effect.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

cyron123

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 01:40:29 am »

P1 has no own booth at photokina. They share it with calumet. This info is from my phase one dealer. They need to save some money? Could they invest for a new product?
I think they do not show us a new mirrorless camera because the XF cam sells very good and they have to do a lot to ship it to the customers in an acceptable delivery time ..

Theodoros

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:50:25 am »

I think they do not show us a new mirrorless camera because the XF cam sells very good and they have to do a lot to ship it to the customers in an acceptable delivery time ..

A mirrorless is basically a repacked MFDB with mount in front of the sensor. As with Hasselblad X1D, a mirrorless will be compared directly in price with the respective MFDB available from the same maker (CFV -50c for Hasselblad)... I don't think that Phase One will ever release a mirrorless unless they first revise their pricing policy.... Especially since there are more MF mirrorless expected in the marked at an even lower price level than the X1D coming from mass market makers. Lets not forget that other than Leica, all the rest of the mirrorless are expected to share the same sensor.

Another thing a maker has to consider is the specification of such a camera... MF mirrorless should mean Hi-end video included in the specs and then a capable software to support the feature. In Hasselblad they seem to have realized the importance of Hi-End video presence in the specs and have been working for a long time with other makers (Arri, DJI) as to have access/assistance  to the know-how needed as to get started and ensure a secure future path to the customer...

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:31 am »

The one open place in the market for MF mirrorless would be a 54x40 offering. Phase one could try that at a higher price point. I'm not saying it would or would not sell well, but of all the options open to them it might appear to be the most attractive.

Dave

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 11:11:52 am »

The easiest way to do mirrorless for P1 would be to release an EVF based finder for the current XF camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:49:24 am »

The easiest way to do mirrorless for P1 would be to release an EVF based finder for the current XF camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

+1 on that.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Theodoros

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 12:52:03 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

That could interest some users of the XF platform, but I don't see how it would turn the XF body to mirrorless as the mirror box would still be there or how it could add sales to the XF plarform... Usually what attracts customers to mirrorless (out of advanced photographers) is the reduction in size and the reduced mounting distance which makes the camera compatible with view cameras... an EVF can't do either of those....

IMO, looking to the direct competition of P1 - which undoubtedly is Hasselblad, P1  needs urgently (many) new products as to compete... Lets not forget that (according to the CEO of Hasselblad) "there will be even more surprises at Photokina"....

If one looks and compares between the two firms:

1. P1 has the XF platform and then four backs for it (IQ-1/50, 2/50, 3/50 & 3/100), which are directly competed by Hasselblad H6D-50c & 100c and then at a better price but with additional video features and film compatibility.... All other backs out of P1 are with discontinued CCD sensors (much like the H5D-60) that will no longer be available after stock of sensors expires.

2. Mamiya/Leaf has an outdated plarform (the DF) and only one back (the Credo 50), which again is under specified with respect to H5D-50c which offers additional modulalirity (interchangeable finders), compatibility with film and again, better price.

But in addition, Hasselblad has to offer the X1D (with video), the H5X, the CF-V, the 50MS & 200MS backs, the 50MS & 200MS cameras & the HTS 1.5x adapter...  All in all a much more complete system....

One should therefore expect for P1 to react before even more new products and features are announced from Hasselblad that would expand the handicap further...

william

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 04:35:28 pm »

I'll be delighted when and if Fuji and others join the Hassy X1D with mirrorless MF offerings.  Not because I want one - I very much do not - but because perhaps that will end the incessant "Phase One should release a mirrorless camera" chatter by redirecting those who want such cameras to *actually buying them from those who manufacture them* rather than talking about (again and again and again) why those who don't manufacture them should. 

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 05:23:52 pm »

To my eyes a good EVF based finder for the XF would still have several advantages:
- increase the success ratio when manual focusing (and let's face it, manual focus is currently the only option with the XF as soon as the subjet isn't dead centered/quite distant),
- get rid the of the shake inducing mirror slap
- reduce significantly the noise at release and therefore make the camera much more discrete

The challenges would be battery life and thermal behavior of the sensor when streaming.

Cheers,
Bernard

cyron123

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »

Yes a EVF is cool

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »

If I could snap on a high quality EVF onto my XF and the firmware was updated to give us the advanteges of an EVF (susch as exposure eval/histo before the shot), I'd order one yesterday!!! :D

gagemanning

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 09:33:20 pm »

I believe an EVF finder for P1 if it can be done would be fantastic.  It really needs to be the same quality as the Leica SL though for me to really get excited. 

gage

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 09:40:41 pm »

I believe an EVF finder for P1 if it can be done would be fantastic.  It really needs to be the same quality as the Leica SL though for me to really get excited. 

I guess that it could be at least as good as the image shown in live view on the IQ3-100 screen. The limiting factor doesn't appear to be the EVF itself, it is more the ability of the sensor to stream in high enough resolution/high enough frame per sec.

cheers,
Bernard

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:35 pm »

I guess that it could be at least as good as the image shown in live view on the IQ3-100 screen. The limiting factor doesn't appear to be the EVF itself, it is more the ability of the sensor to stream in high enough resolution/high enough frame per sec.

cheers,
Bernard
It's able to stream a pretty decent looking image to Capture Pilot relative to what you see on the rear LCD in Live View, at least to my eyes, so I have higher hopes for the EVF quality than merely what you see on the rear screen.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 11:14:56 pm »

It's able to stream a pretty decent looking image to Capture Pilot relative to what you see on the rear LCD in Live View, at least to my eyes, so I have higher hopes for the EVF quality than merely what you see on the rear screen.

That's good news!

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:29:51 pm by BernardLanguillier »

gmfotografie

• gmfotografie
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 11:20:44 pm »

does anybody belive in new backs - maybe with 60 or 80 cmos sensor?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 11:36:11 pm »

Nope, my guess is first Sony will release their own 75mp FF chip in a aX and then next year perhaps their will be a 80-100 cropped and if there is a marked 120-140 MF FF sensor.

It all depends on how well ALL MF companies can move sensors. They certainly agreed to some amount to Sony. Before that is sold not much new stuff is coming.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up