Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Printer quality

(1/6) > >>

wmchauncey:
Televisions/monitors are improving on a daily basis in terms of HDR/4K/whatnot...why are we not seeing a comparable improvement in printers?

rdonson:
I'm not sure what kind of improvements you're looking for.

I only print for my own work but over the last 15 years I've seen tremendous improvements. From my Epson 2200 to my HP Z3100 to my Epson SC P800 I think the advances in printers, inks and paper have been very significant.

DeanChriss:

--- Quote from: rdonson on August 23, 2016, 08:53:22 am ---I'm not sure what kind of improvements you're looking for.

I only print for my own work but over the last 15 years I've seen tremendous improvements. From my Epson 2200 to my HP Z3100 to my Epson SC P800 I think the advances in printers, inks and paper have been very significant.

--- End quote ---

I'd agree with that. I'd also mention that the latest 4K monitors in the 27-30 inch size range still lag behind 15 year old printers in terms of maximum possible resolution. At the same time, given human sight capabilities there's not much point in increasing printer resolution, so they have improved in other areas like color gamut and things like gloss differential and bronzing that apply exclusively to reflective media.

Peter McLennan:
Once you've seen an 80" 4K monitor, you might wonder about the future necessity of printers.  8)

rdonson:

--- Quote from: Peter McLennan on August 23, 2016, 12:00:58 pm ---Once you've seen an 80" 4K monitor, you might wonder about the future necessity of printers.  8)

--- End quote ---

For certain things perhaps. 

From my perspective my prints will last much longer and be viewed by my surviving relatives and friends much longer than a monitor. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version