Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC - Canon Print Studio Pro - Image/Print resolution issues  (Read 2813 times)

Nick Walker

• www.sportpicturelibrary.com

Canon Print Studio Pro (Lightroom plugin) under its Image Information panel shows the image size as 240 DPI (terminology should be PPI!), taken from an image sitting in Lightroom's Print Module - Tiff or RAW.

I note someone else has highlighted this query - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2090787

I was informed by Canon (UK) that their software only picks up the PPI from Lightroom - all of my images are saved as 300 PPI - save/export Prefs set to 300 PPI in all software apps that I use (Photo Mechanic, Photoshop, Lightroom).

Does Lightroom carry out a PPI conversion from the original file size (RAW or Tiff) at 300 PPI, to 240 PPI, going from the Develop module to the Print Module?

I am trying to tie down if this is a Canon issue, incorrectly defaulting to 240 PPI, or whether Lightroom does change from 300 PPI in the develop module to 240 PPI in the print Module?

PS:Canon should know better, it should be PPI for image size and not DPI.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:32:34 am by N Walker »

Nick Walker

Re: Lightroom CC - Canon Print Studio Pro - Image/Print resolution issues
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 01:34:52 pm »

It appears that Lightroom changes the PPI to 240 in the print module, hence Canon Print Studio Pro plugin showing the PPI as 240 - indicating CPSP is only printing using 240 PPI.

CPSP plugin in Photoshop uses the images PPI.

Test - Tiff file at 300 PPI in Photoshop and Lightroom.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:38:46 pm by N Walker »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:31:00 am »

It appears that Lightroom changes the PPI to 240 in the print module, hence Canon Print Studio Pro plugin showing the PPI as 240 - indicating CPSP is only printing using 240 PPI.

Does 240 PPI correspond to the number of pixels divided by the output size in inches?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Nick Walker

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:49:51 am »

Does 240 PPI correspond to the number of pixels divided by the output size in inches?

Cheers,
Bart

Bart,

Image size is 5472 x 3648 at 300 PPI, plenty big enough for A4 with 10mm white border using 300 PPI.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:31:19 am »

Bart,

Image size is 5472 x 3648 at 300 PPI, plenty big enough for A4 with 10mm white border using 300 PPI.

I see, that's should be enough (depending on cropping) for something like 440 PPI, certainly more than 240 PPI.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up