Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to improve on Lee Filters  (Read 4269 times)

Avalanche

• Antarctica 2016
Trying to improve on Lee Filters
« on: August 22, 2016, 04:32:45 am »

I'm looking for experiences with ND filters. I'm trying to improve on my current 100mm Lee setup.

I have used them with great success in the last ten years in all but two situations:
1. Heavy rain
2. Wide angle shots (17-24mm)

I suppose, you really can't do anything about #1 but I really would like to improve on #2.

I have dark corners in some of my 17mm shots and I'm wondering if there are other solutions out there that do not have this problem. Also, polarizers don't really go well with the filter holder. The Lee screw on polarizer is very expensive because of its size and also causes dark corners in some situations.

Has anyone experience with the Lee 150mm system or other manufacturers? I'm hoping that the 150mm system can help because of the wider filters. Maybe other manufacturers help with the polarizer situation. So, what are your experiences?

Thanks!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Trying to improve on Lee Filters
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:06:10 am »

I'm looking for experiences with ND filters. I'm trying to improve on my current 100mm Lee setup.

I have used them with great success in the last ten years in all but two situations:
1. Heavy rain
2. Wide angle shots (17-24mm)

I suppose, you really can't do anything about #1 but I really would like to improve on #2.

I have dark corners in some of my 17mm shots and I'm wondering if there are other solutions out there that do not have this problem. Also, polarizers don't really go well with the filter holder. The Lee screw on polarizer is very expensive because of its size and also causes dark corners in some situations.

Has anyone experience with the Lee 150mm system or other manufacturers? I'm hoping that the 150mm system can help because of the wider filters. Maybe other manufacturers help with the polarizer situation. So, what are your experiences?

Hi,

The vignetting you have noticed, is caused by the thickness of the filter. That thickness will cause very oblique rays (as in Wide-angle shots towards the corners) having to travel a longer distance through the filter medium, thus attenuating the light that gets through more than in the image center.

So the only solution is to use a thinner filter, which is an issue for large glass filters.

Using polarizers on wide-angle lenses is rarely successful, because the amount of polarized light changes with the angle to the sun or to surfaces. That will guarantee a difference across the Field-of View. So there I'd suggest to look for other solutions (if possible, which it sometimes isn't). If the Pol-filter is just used for darkening the blue sky, then that can also be achieved in postprocessing by reducing the Lightness of Blue with an HSL filter. If the pol-filter is used to reduce glare or reflections, then that will only be possible with such a filter and Wide-angle lenses will keep causing issues. One can try boosting local saturation on foliage, and reducing the Lightness a bit to mimic the effect of the pol-filter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Avalanche

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:28:41 pm »

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure that this is caused by differences in light attenuation, though. Frequently, this affects only one or two corners and I also have them on photos without direct sunlight. Here's an example:

I guess the reason for this is that the holder is too thick or the filters not wide enough.

I am aware of the postprocessing options and would like to avoid those as much as possible. Reflections on water are one of the things that you can't really remove in post. So this part of my question is more of a mechanical thing (i.e. is there a system that has a better way of mounting the polarizer).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 02:14:17 pm »

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure that this is caused by differences in light attenuation, though. Frequently, this affects only one or two corners and I also have them on photos without direct sunlight. Here's an example:

I guess the reason for this is that the holder is too thick or the filters not wide enough.

Yes, that's mechanical vignetting, the filter is not large enough or too far away from the lens. The filter thickness is just adding onto that, but that effect is more gradual.

I am aware of the postprocessing options and would like to avoid those as much as possible. Reflections on water are one of the things that you can't really remove in post. So this part of my question is more of a mechanical thing (i.e. is there a system that has a better way of mounting the polarizer).

Lee also have Wide-angle adapter rings, is that what you're using? Check with them if there is something for your particular lens. Some lenses require a custom made version.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Avalanche

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:59 am »

I'm already using the wide angle adaptors and do have the special ring for the 17TSE. That's why I'm wondering if anybody has experience with their 150mm system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up