Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SpectraView Profiler and Multisync monitors  (Read 4407 times)

josemsubcn

SpectraView Profiler and Multisync monitors
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:08:55 pm »

I bought some days ago a NEC Multisync LCD1990SXi, but this monitor does not allow the hardware calibration with the european software (basiccolor). Some people says that is posible to works OK with SpectraView Profiler but I'm not sure. I can buy this software but it does not work would be a lost purchase.

Somebody who it has this software could make me arrive a copy to evaluate it? Is very important for me.

I think that Multisync monitor is the same monitor that the SpectraView series, but without the hood and software, and its possible the firmware. But I need to probe.

Somebody could help me?

Thanks and sorry for my English.

Jose
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:44:26 pm by josemsubcn »

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:04:19 pm »

I have read somewhere that the Euro models have something in firmware that will not allow Spectraview to work with the non-SV models.  I don't know yet whether this also applies to US models, but for a Euro model I'm pretty sure you'd be wasting your time (and money) with Spectraview.

I should add though that my 2090uxi calibrates beautifully with Eye One Display 2.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:07:14 pm by Nill Toulme »

Stephen Best

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 02:14:53 am »

I bought some days ago a NEC Multisync LCD1990SXi, but this monitor does not allow the hardware calibration with the european software (basiccolor).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might want to try the following first (if you haven't already done so) to see if you really need hardware calibration. The manual that came with my 2090UXi doesn't exactly spell out how to set it up for optimum use.

1. If you're happy with 6500K/2.2, just leave the monitor on the Native setting. Otherwise set the desired colour temperature and gamma. I set mine to 5000K/2.2. It's actually closer to 5100K but this is near enough for my purposes.

2. Turn on the ColorComp feature and adjust the level until the display is dead even. The higher the level, the better it should look. This will drop the maximum luminance achievable but there should still be plenty of headroom. You may have to turn on Advanced menus (power up the monitor while holding down the "Select" button for one second).

3. Now set the luminance ("Brightness") to whatever you want. I aim for 110 cd/m2 but this will depend on your ambient light levels, personal preferences etc. The actual set value is related to the ColorComp level above so if you change this you'll have readjust luminance. Leave the Contrast and Black Level at their default values of 50%. These don't appear to do anything constructive.

4. Leave the saturation/offset values for the individual primaries at their zero values. These can extend the gamut slightly but at the expense of linearity.

5. Depending on your profiling package, set both the temperature and gamma to "native". This will flatline the LUT in your video card. If you have the option, set a preference for table-based rather than matrix profile generation.

6. Test the result with a gray ramp image, something like the Lab_ramp.tif available from here:

[a href=\"http://www.hutchcolor.com/Images_and_targets.html]http://www.hutchcolor.com/Images_and_targets.html[/url]

If nothing else, the above will give you a good base to evaluate the strengths (or otherwise) of alternative profiling options and hardware calibration (should you manage to find something that works with your monitor). After much playing around with L* I've fallen back on Eye-One Match 3.6 as giving the cleanest gray ramp, especially in the shadows.

Good luck!

josemsubcn

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 05:26:15 pm »

You might want to try the following first (if you haven't already done so)

If nothing else, the above will give you a good base to evaluate the strengths (or otherwise) of alternative profiling options and hardware calibration (should you manage
Good luck!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My Got!!! Stephen, your explanation is very complicated for my, specially what it talks about ColorComp, I understand that you speak to manual calibration with  ColorComp and OSD, this is step is similar as hardware calibration?, and then profilin with my Eye ONe 2 (this is my colour package), not calibrate with EO2 and only profiling. Not?

Colorcomp can write in the monitor the 12 bits LUT table, then is not necessary to write in the graphic card the 8 bit LUT, for this reason then only is necessary to profile with Eye One 2, but not calibrate. Not?. But I think that the actual version of ColorComp noly works with 10 bits monitor, and 1990 SXi is 12 bits.

Thanks a lot Stephen,

Jose
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 05:37:37 pm by josemsubcn »

Stephen Best

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 07:08:58 pm »

Colorcomp can write in the monitor the 12 bits LUT table, then is not necessary to write in the graphic card the 8 bit LUT, for this reason then only is necessary to profile with Eye One 2, but not calibrate. Not?. But I think that the actual version of ColorComp noly works with 10 bits monitor, and 1990 SXi is 12 bits.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ColorComp is supported on the 1990, 2090 and 2190. Basically they measure each panel in the factory for evenness in luminance/colour and burn the differences into ROM. When you turn on ColorComp it will apply these adjustments. There was some suggestion that this uses data (discrete luminance levels?) and maybe looking closely there is some highlight compression, it's hard for me to tell. On balance, I think it's a positive feature. Certainly with this enabled and the procedure I outlined above you can get very good results, good enough to question the need for full hardware calibration.

Stephen Best

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 12:27:23 am »

There was some suggestion that this uses data (discrete luminance levels?) and maybe looking closely there is some highlight compression, it's hard for me to tell.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I think I was wrong and the Contrast setting is useful after all. I originally fought against this as it must be done in data. Looking closely at the highlights, separation isn't a problem but the jump from L* of 100 to 98 was maybe too much. I just dropped the contrast slightly and it now seems more linear. There's a lot to be said for one button calibration ...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:30:05 am by Stephen Best »
Pages: [1]   Go Up