Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 9.2.1 crashes if HeliconFocus tif is in import directory  (Read 3007 times)

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes

I sent 10 IQ350 images to HeliconFocus from Capture One 9.2.1 via "Open With" and HeliconFocus processes them. Then I save the file as a tif. When I go to Capture One to import the saved tif Capture One crashes. When there is a HeliconFocus created tif in the import directory path I get a crash. I don't even get a chance to select the tif. If I take the tif out of the import directory path Capture One is fine. I can open the tif with PS, Preview, and every other program that can ope tif files and they are all fine with the file.
If I create a jpg with HeliconFocus Capture One is fine with it.

A tif created with ZereneStacker is fine and will import into Capture One.

Any ideas? I will open a support case with Phase One but wondering if anyone here has suggestions. They have the crash report.
Thanks Larry
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Capture One 9.2.1 crashes if HeliconFocus tif is in import directory
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:43:56 am »

The only thing I can think of, what properties did Helicon use to save the tif?  Alpha channel, etc.  There are a few options in saving a tif that C1 may not like. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:54:05 am »

The only thing I can think of, what properties did Helicon use to save the tif?  Alpha channel, etc.  There are a few options in saving a tif that C1 may not like.

My initial thoughts as well. Helicon Focus allows to save TIFFs as uncompressed or as LZW compressed. The latter may be less compatible (something Photoshop also warns about).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:07:23 pm »

I got the info on both the HeliconFocus and ZereneStacker and they are the same. But I will go through the Preferences for HeliconFocus and see if anything pops up. Now they all all the defaults.

Compression: uncompressed
Copyright:
Make: Phase One A/S
Model: IQ3 50MP
Photometric Interpretation: RGB
Resolution Unit: inches
X Resolution: 300
Y Resolution: 300
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:21:58 am »

I got the info on both the HeliconFocus and ZereneStacker and they are the same. But I will go through the Preferences for HeliconFocus and see if anything pops up. Now they all all the defaults.

Compression: uncompressed
Copyright:
Make: Phase One A/S
Model: IQ3 50MP
Photometric Interpretation: RGB
Resolution Unit: inches
X Resolution: 300
Y Resolution: 300

Okay, since you are using uncompressed TIFF output, I'm afraid that as good/compatible as it gets. So either Helicon Focus is using a slightly different TIFF library to create those files, or Capture One trips over some of the TIFF tags.

Maybe a good time to raise a support case with Phase One, and let them look at a typical TIFF output from Helicon Focus. Maybe they can find what's causing it, and if it turns out to be something HeliconSoft needs to change, maybe they can do that.

An interim 'solution' could be to let Photoshop open the TIFF (assuming that it opens the files as expected) and immediately save it to a "hot folder" where Capture One will open any file that appears in that Watched folder. Photoshop can create a droplet that files can be dragged to. It's needlessly complicated, but it should work. Best is to have Capture One and HeliconSoft fix the issue between them, they will both benefit from finding a solution.

Cheers,
Bart

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »

I opened a support case with Phase One and sent them the logs and a copy of the photo.

Just a little update.
When I am in Capture One and select the 10 files in the focus stack and do "Open With HeliconFocus" the resulting tif crashes Capture One when I go to import it.

If I bring this file into Adobe Camera raw and make a minor change and then save it the resulting file imports fine.

When I export the 10 files as tif from Capture One and process those and export the result as a tif Capture One imports it fine.

I add this information to the support case and waiting to hear back.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:05:53 am »

I opened a support case with Phase One and sent them the logs and a copy of the photo.

Just a little update.
When I am in Capture One and select the 10 files in the focus stack and do "Open With HeliconFocus" the resulting tif crashes Capture One when I go to import it.

If I bring this file into Adobe Camera raw and make a minor change and then save it the resulting file imports fine.

When I export the 10 files as tif from Capture One and process those and export the result as a tif Capture One imports it fine.

I add this information to the support case and waiting to hear back.

Yes, the Adobe saved TIFFs cause fewer problems for other programs, hence my earlier workaround suggestion of open and save with Photoshop. But it should not be necessary.

TIFF is a very flexible file format, so there are tons of parameters (Tags) that can be used. Apparently some of the Tags from Helicon Focus do not meet the expectations of Capture One. Only Phase One knows what those expectations are, so it seems more logical to start analyzing there, even if ultimately HeliconSoft might need to change something for better TIFF exchange compatibility.

Please let us know if a solution is found. There must be others who run into similar issues and would benefit from having this solved.

Another workaround for dense stacks (very small changes in focus and with wider apertures) is by exporting highest quality JPEGs. The small amount of blending between individual focus layers will create intermediate tones that can then be preserved in the TIFF export.

Cheers,
Bart

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:17:33 am »

I sent 10 IQ350 images to HeliconFocus from Capture One 9.2.1 via "Open With" and HeliconFocus processes them. Then I save the file as a tif. When I go to Capture One to import the saved tif Capture One crashes. When there is a HeliconFocus created tif in the import directory path I get a crash. I don't even get a chance to select the tif. If I take the tif out of the import directory path Capture One is fine. I can open the tif with PS, Preview, and every other program that can ope tif files and they are all fine with the file.
If I create a jpg with HeliconFocus Capture One is fine with it.

A tif created with ZereneStacker is fine and will import into Capture One.

Any ideas? I will open a support case with Phase One but wondering if anyone here has suggestions. They have the crash report.
Thanks Larry

Why are you not using the round trip feature to automate the process?  Select the images, right click and say "Edit With....".  The stacked image will be returned to the same location when you save from HF
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:12:09 am »

Phase One support can not duplicate the problem. They recommended that I delete the Process Queue and reinstall Capture One.

I did delete the Process Queue, deleted the com.captureone9.* files in preferences, removed Capture One 9 and reinstalled it.

Now I can import the resulting .tif file from HeliconFocus after selecting the 10 files and selecting "Edit With".

So somewhere something was wrong and the clean up helped.

If I try and import a HeliconFocus file processed before doing the clean up Capture One crashes as soon as I select the directory the file is in.

David, I did try both Edit With and Open With. Edit With failed.

The 9.2 New Features blog post says, "Round Trip to Helicon Focus"
"And finally, our customers focus stacking with the Phase One XF camera will be able to round trip to Helicon Focus, seeing the result returned to Capture One automatically."

I didn't find that to be the case. I save the file from HeliconFocus into the directory where the originals were and had to import it manually. I saved the resulting .tif with the name HeliconFocus gave it. I might be missing something but the file naming and automatic return is not explained anywhere that I could find. The round tripping to Photo Shop works great since I don't rename the file and the original gets replaced with the Photoshop version. I will continue to look for information on this feature. 

Anyway, great experience and I learned a lot working with support and I thank all of you for your suggestions, knowledge and support.

I am getting a lot out of Luminous Landscape, glad I found it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up