Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour Laser icc profile using Argyll  (Read 1688 times)

johna1954

Colour Laser icc profile using Argyll
« on: August 21, 2016, 07:27:13 am »

Hi Everyone. Just found your forum and look forward to a long relationship with you.
I use an entirely Linux workflow using GIMP and Darktable to produce images for printing and a Color Munki spectrophotometer.
My OKI C931 colour Laser printer does not have a facility in Linux to include ICC profiles but recently became aware that the Darktable print module can. I have previously tried creating a profile using Argyll but not entirely sure what are the best settings are for a Laser printer. The settings I used were:
targen -v -d4 -G -g90 -t -f240 "240_A3"
printtarg -v -iCM -a1.30  -h -b -t300 -P -M9 -pA3 -L "240_A3"

I have looked at several other examples/suggestions online but confused by a lot of the technical information. I would appreciate it if anyone can check and comment on the settings used (I will increase the number of patches once the other settings are correct)

Thanks in advance
John

BradFunkhouser

Re: Colour Laser icc profile using Argyll
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:05:13 am »

You probably want to post this question to the ArgyllCMS mailing list, which is the primary avenue for Argyll support:

http://www.argyllcms.com/mailinglist.html

For your targen command, I'm wondering if the device is actually an RGB device, which would be "-d2" rather than "-d4"

johna1954

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:15:23 am »

Hi BradFunkhouser,  thank you for your reply.  There was a link on the Argyll website to this forum and looking at this website I was struck by the range of topics covered.
Re your comment. I am fairly sure the printer is CMYK but maybe need to try both.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:18:31 am »

they're pretty much all CMYK but their drivers WANT RGB and it'll do the conversion for you.  You want -d2

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:01:01 pm »

they're pretty much all CMYK but their drivers WANT RGB and it'll do the conversion for you.  You want -d2
Depends on the print path. Via an appropriate PostScript RIP they will be CMYK. Via something like the MSWindows print driver, they will be "RGB".

johna1954

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 07:46:05 am »

Thank you howardm and GWGill for your  replies.

I think that I will try both and see what happens. I had tried to install an RGB profile before in colord but it would not recognise it. Using a CMYK did install but there was no change in the quality of the prints.
This time I will be using Darktable's print plugin so should be able to see both profiles and compare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up