Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS L Brackets and cable release?  (Read 4048 times)

Jayhawk

RRS L Brackets and cable release?
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:36:14 am »

If you use a Really Right Stuff L plate with any of the Canon DLSR's, is it possible to mount the camera vertically on the tripod with the electronic cable release attached?  Or, does the cable release prevent you from mounting the camera?  It's a bit unclear from the RRS web site whether there's enough clearance to still mount the camera with a vertical orientation.

francois

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:18:19 am »

If you use a Really Right Stuff L plate with any of the Canon DLSR's, is it possible to mount the camera vertically on the tripod with the electronic cable release attached?  Or, does the cable release prevent you from mounting the camera?  It's a bit unclear from the RRS web site whether there's enough clearance to still mount the camera with a vertical orientation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, it's possible. At least with L-Plates for Canon 1D, Canon 5D and Nikon D2X. I haven't tried with other models.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 10:19:27 am by francois »
Francois

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:23:14 am »

Yes, it's possible. At least with L-Plates for Canon 1D, Canon 5D and Nikon D2X. I haven't tried with other models.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK with the 20D also.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:34:20 am »

If you use a Really Right Stuff L plate with any of the Canon DLSR's, is it possible to mount the camera vertically on the tripod with the electronic cable release attached?  Or, does the cable release prevent you from mounting the camera?  It's a bit unclear from the RRS web site whether there's enough clearance to still mount the camera with a vertical orientation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The answer is a qualified "yes" with both the 10D and 1D MkII.  The RRS L brackets are designed with the clearance to attach the electronic cable release in vertical orientation.  Obviously, you have to attach the release before mounting the camera on your tripod.

The real issue is the rubber/plastic tab on the camera body protecting the cable release connection.  The tab is propped up by the release's connector when attached and "sticks up."

You have to position the tab so that it lies somewhat flat and does not get in the way of the camera plate mounting on your ballhead's clamp.  This is more of a hassle with the 1D Mk II  than the 10D.

Frankly, if exact timing is not necessary (i.e., a static scene with no important moving elements), it's a lot easier to use your camera's custom function to combine mirror lock up with the 2 second self timer.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 10:53:12 am by PaulS »

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 11:07:37 am »

I think that some of the very early rev's of the 1-series L-plate had a clearance problem in that regard.  More recent revs do not.  I don't remember the particulars, but I *think* my two are Rev C and D and they're OK.  But I'm traveling and can't check to confirm.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Paul Sumi

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 11:47:22 am »

I think that some of the very early rev's of the 1-series L-plate had a clearance problem in that regard.  More recent revs do not.  I don't remember the particulars, but I *think* my two are Rev C and D and they're OK.  But I'm traveling and can't check to confirm.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nill,

Thanks for that bit of information.  I just visited the RRS website and saw the animation showing how the L bracket "slides."

[a href=\"http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/body_plates/canon/b57l-animation-sm.gif]http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/body_plate...nimation-sm.gif[/url]

When I got my 1D Mk II's L bracket, I just attached it and didn't notice whether it could slide or not.  I'll have to check that out when I get home.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 11:50:31 am by PaulS »

francois

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 12:37:24 pm »

If I slide my bracket to the extreme right, attaching the cable can be tricky and sometimes the plastic plugs prevents you from attaching the camera to the ballhead (1D MK 2).
I normally leave it "centered" and everything is fine.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:38:11 pm by francois »
Francois

Jayhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 01:20:54 pm »

Cool, thanks for the replies....I use the Rebel XT w/grip, so I think I'll just call RRS and make sure the plate for that body also slides like the 1 series body plates do.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 01:30:37 pm »

Cool, thanks for the replies....I use the Rebel XT w/grip, so I think I'll just call RRS and make sure the plate for that body also slides like the 1 series body plates do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The RRS website doesn't show the "slide" feature for the XT.  But the L bracket design is similar to the 10D's (as is the XT's plug cover design) so there shouldn't be any problems in using the cable release in vertical orientation.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up