Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight, small tripod  (Read 3044 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Lightweight, small tripod
« on: June 21, 2006, 04:10:23 am »

Hi,

I would like some recommendations for a lightweight tripod which will be pretty small when collapsed (ideally small enough to fit in airline hand baggage). It will be used with a 20D, either 17-85 or 75-300 IS lens. I already have a sturdy, heavy tripod (which I can't take with me), so this is very much a backup. The holiday is mainly a safari.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy

jamie_m_

• http://www.mymoodphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:26:33 am »

I use a Manfrotto 190MF3 (3 section carbon fiber), very light and easy to use not sure if it will fit in an airline carry on (I put it in checked luggage) but I remeber that when I was looking at tripods the 4 section version was only slightly more expensive and would have fitted in a carry on bag, but of course slightly more fiddly to use.
MyMoodPhotography
[url=http://www.mymood

nma

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 07:12:22 am »

Hi,

I would like some recommendations for a lightweight tripod which will be pretty small when collapsed (ideally small enough to fit in airline hand baggage). It will be used with a 20D, either 17-85 or 75-300 IS lens. I already have a sturdy, heavy tripod (which I can't take with me), so this is very much a backup. The holiday is mainly a safari.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Consider the Feisol 3401, a lightweight 4-section carbon fiber tripod. The legs cost less than $200 and may be purchased either direct from Taiwan via eBay or through a US distributer. My purchase came from Taiwan and the delivery was very prompt (4 days!), including an email with a photo of the shipping label. You will also need a ball head and mountng plate for your camera body. Do not skimp on the quick release mounting plate, as this is a key element in obtaining a setup that does not droop or move.  Don't even think of anything other than the ARCA-Swiss style. Best is one designed specifically for your camera model.

The 3401 comes with a carry bag. With a ball head mounted it will fit in a standard checked luggage (not the carry on) suit case. When extended without raising the center column, it is fine for me and i am ~ 6' 1'' tall. It is very stable, with twist and screw leg adjustments. It has good construction, though it does not reach the level of a Gitzo. I successfully have used the 3401 in all kinds of conditions, including snow, sand, rivers, mud, and cold weather. Feisol has gained a lot of ground during the last year. There are now many testamonials that you can find with a Google search.

Hope this helps

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 11:09:49 pm »

My small, lightweight tripod is a Gitzo 1128 with Really Right Stuff 25mm ballhead, and I've been very pleased with it when I'm not able to use my Gitzo 1348 with RRS 40mm ballhead.

Subtracting the weight of the ballhead from the capacity of the tripod, it will still support 10.5 pounds (4.8 Kg), which has proved to be plenty for my 5D with any lens I own. My heaviest combination is a 300mm f/4 L IS with 1.4x teleconverter on a 5D: 5.1 pounds (2.3 Kg). The tripod with ballhead weighs 3.1 pounds (1.4 Kg), collapses to 21.6 inches (55 cm), and extends up to 57.6 inches (146 cm). If you remove the ballhead for travel it collapses to 19 inches (48 cm).

The newer small Gitzo, the 1157, collapses a wee bit smaller (18.9 inches vs 19) and weighs a bit less (2.3 pounds vs 2.6), but supports a pound less weight (9.9 vs 11) and extends to 2 inches less height (53 inches vs 55). All of these measurements are the tripods only and don't include the head. The slightly lower capacity and weight are insignificant for my needs, but two inches lower at full extension would be a deal-breaker for me since I'm 6 feet tall (185 cm).
Pages: [1]   Go Up