Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Shift in C1  (Read 1348 times)

JoeKitchen

Recording Shift in C1
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:22:19 pm »

In Capture One you can record the movements, however I am not sure the + and - means?

For the x movements, what does the + imply?  Does + imply that the back moves up or down? 

Same for the y movements?  Does + imply that the back moves left or right? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Recording Shift in C1
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:26:36 pm »

I'm not sure what all that serves.  You can't even enter your focal length.  I was at a P1 event in Chicago a few weeks ago and put in a request for an editable focal length field... we'll see.

But then, I'd given up on the MFDB tech camera route months ago.  I just feel like those fields are diverging as the technology evolves.

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:13 pm »

On all cameras I know, + is up & right and - is down & left. However, one has to mind that if the shifts are combined with tilts, the same values on a different camera with the same lens used, won't have the same result as the first frame...

But then, I'd given up on the MFDB tech camera route months ago.  I just feel like those fields are diverging as the technology evolves.

I have the exact same feeling... If it wasn't for multishot captures quality, I would have dropped using my MFDBs on a view camera altogether... I also expect to do so as soon as a multishot capable FF mirrorless will appear on the market... Right now I have to follow both roads... Sony A7 with Contax 645 lenses for when multishot isn't required and then Sinarback 54H & Hasselblad CF-39MS with Rollei control S & Rollei shutter for the WAs and FUJI GX-680 lenses with exterior electronic lens control interface from 65mm lens and longer.

jng

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:18:41 pm »

Joe,

I raised this very same question on the Capture One sub-forum back in April. The info I received back can be found in this thread: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=109656.0.

As for lens-specific corrections, there's a drop down menu that provides profiles for a pretty long list of lenses (Murphy's Law be damned), including e.g. the Rodie 23, 32, 35, 40, 50 and 70 plus a few Hassy V system lenses which makes me happy. I've used the C1 profile for my V system 40/4 IF (with and without shifts) and it seems to work pretty well.

John

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 12:08:53 am »

Yeah, I think this can get really confusing...

ie, is a fall of the back (or a rise of the lens) a '+' or a '-'

and then we are told that when you flip your back to portrait mode, you need to switch your X and Y coords.

To me, it doesn't actually seem to be working consistently - well at least with the Rod 32.  On one capture (portrait), I flipped the X and Y's and used a negative for the fall (so on the X) and everything was perfect.
On different capture, with almost exactly the same movements, it was all wrong like this.  I returned to the Fall being a - on the Y and things look pretty correct, but not perfect.

Buildings aren't forgiving, so you can see if the distortion correction isn't working.

I don't think Phase have dialed this in yet, and I'm personally getting a little frustrated - I might just go back to the Alpa plug in and do that as a last step I think.

Has anyone else had experiences like this?

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:02:59 am by alatreille »
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 06:25:55 am »

Yes, I have been a little confused about whether we are talking fall on the back is - or if C1 sees that as the view shifting up, so it is +. 

I am going to go with fall on the back being a - movement. 

Insofar as entering a focal length, not something that concerns me right now since my lenses are near distortion free.  I just need C1 to adjust the placement of the center of the image circle is, which will change how the perspective adjustments are applied.  This is my primary use right now. 

In the future I thinking about getting a Rodie 32 & 40, and then I will have to worry about distortion too. 

I did notice that the 32mm is kind of wonky with its distortion and the shift does effect the look of the image. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 07:47:45 am »

Yes, I have been a little confused about whether we are talking fall on the back is - or if C1 sees that as the view shifting up, so it is +. 

I am going to go with fall on the back being a - movement. 

Insofar as entering a focal length, not something that concerns me right now since my lenses are near distortion free.  I just need C1 to adjust the placement of the center of the image circle is, which will change how the perspective adjustments are applied.  This is my primary use right now.

Hi Joe,

I agree it's not always obvious, but there is no need to guess.

Since you are using shift, you are also most likely using LCCs. Just use an LCC, crank-up contrast and levels, etc. so the vignetting is exagerated and easy to see. Now tweak the shift amounts to more or less center the vignetting. You can then use the LCC for what it's intended for.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up