Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new to printing eps files from within illustrator  (Read 1069 times)

John V.

new to printing eps files from within illustrator
« on: August 18, 2016, 04:24:19 pm »

I have someone wanting to print some of their digital art, eps files. I'm not familiar with color management in the illustrator environment at all. I'm actively looking for info. I've found a few posts around here, but it's all still not very clear to me.

My typical workflow is nothing out of the ordinary. tiff/jpeg/psd>Photoshop>photoshop manages colors>relative colorimetric>custom paper profile created by a colormunki.

Is this going to be the process I use when printing these eps files? My colormonki profiles will still do their job correctly when printing from within Illustrator?

The client hasnt even sent me any files yet, so I don't even know if she's working in CMYK or what. I have access to a machine with illustrator installed on it, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

I don't mind extra work, more concerned about a clean and proper process. These will all be printed on an Epson 11880.

John

John V.

Re: new to printing eps files from within illustrator
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »

My understanding is that I want to be sending rgb documents to the printer (the epson 11880). I appears that printing a cmyk document from within Illustrator will convert to rgb and I can use my paper profiles, business as usual.

So if I wanted to be printing from within Photoshop, I would resize and export the eps file from within Illustrator as a big tiff, and then derive the desired print image sizes from that source file.

Looks like the key thing here is to convert the cmyk document into rgb correctly within illustrator. I'm assuming converting from cmyk to rgb isn't as big of an issue compared to converting rgb to cmyk, as far as retaining colors.

Sorry if this is old news. There's still a few gaps in my understanding. Any and all advice appreciated so I don't blow this thing up.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: new to printing eps files from within illustrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:48:45 am »

My understanding is that I want to be sending rgb documents to the printer (the epson 11880).
Just use Photoshop to RIP this to an RGB doc at a size and color space (probably sRGB as a start), then print it as you would anything else.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up