Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Start at the top" vs. "Work your way up"  (Read 4626 times)

BrownBear

Re: "Start at the top" vs. "Work your way up"
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »

There are also the short- and long-term views of "need."

If you just need more money for more toys today, you're probably not going to make a career of it. Ask yourself the question "Where do I want to be 30 years from now?"

That includes things like owning your home, having sufficient retirement income, and even an exit strategy from the business: Do you simply fold up shop and store your cameras and portfolio, or have you generated a business that can be sold as a unit to add to your retirement resources?

When we retired a few years back, we sold the business and equipment. We sold a paid-for commercial property. We lived in a paid-for house. And we had a substantial retirement savings account. Over the course of our careers, those were the "toys" we prioritized and committed our funds to. No, we didn't shoot the latest photo equipment. No, we didn't renew our computers every year, much less even every 3 years. No we didn't drive nice cars. But we DID budget carefully and always include payments to the resources that would help us retire, setting our rates accordingly. Not very glamorous I know, but who needs glamour in exchange for a comfortable retirement?

casagli

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »

Here's a list I've curated for a local Facebook group of business resources you might find handy.

Sorry Douglas, but all the links in that list are truncated and near impossible to find, can we get the source? Thanks.

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »

Here is a PDF you can download and then copy and paste from

http://douglaslevy.zenfolio.com/photo-business-links.pdf
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up