Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lexington Horse Farms  (Read 4108 times)

SeanBK

Lexington Horse Farms
« on: June 20, 2006, 11:40:44 am »

Hi, I am planning on going over 4th to Lexington, Kentucky area for early morning landscape & general Horse Farms landscape shots. Any & all suggestions (mainly locations) would be highly appreciated.
   I hope to shoot with D2X, 17-55 & 80-400, with my R.R.S QTVR panoramic & M.F camera.
   Thanks for suggestions.

Bill in WV

Lexington Horse Farms
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:07:04 pm »

Hi, I am planning on going over 4th to Lexington, Kentucky area for early morning landscape & general Horse Farms landscape shots. Any & all suggestions (mainly locations) would be highly appreciated.
   I hope to shoot with D2X, 17-55 & 80-400, with my R.R.S QTVR panoramic & M.F camera.
   Thanks for suggestions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
New Circle Road at Versailles Road is a good place to start. That is the Calumet Farm and probably one of the most famous. However, picking up a guide to the horse farms and levels of access would probably be an excellent idea. Security has even hit the horse farms. You might also try Keeneland Race Track, also on Versailles Road, it's not meet time, but somebody might be exercising horses out there. And it is a beautiful place too.
The highest recommendation I could give would be, be sure to go to the Kentucky Horse Park. It is gorgeous!

Bill in WV ( Formerly of Lexington.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:10:16 pm by Bill in WV »
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

SeanBK

Lexington Horse Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 07:43:46 am »

Bill, Thanks for your precise advise. I did contact few private tour operators. They all seems to be very nice & helpful. They did say pretty much what you are recommending. Calumet... but someone suggested there is a multi-million $, stables with limestone coins, cupolas, brick walk and real elegant stables, not the real old barn/classic but more elegant, but could not get the name of the Farm out of him. Do you have any ideas what he might be referring to?
 Thank you for your suggestions. I can't wait for the trip.

Bill in WV

Lexington Horse Farms
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:13:00 am »

Bill, Thanks for your precise advise. I did contact few private tour operators. They all seems to be very nice & helpful. They did say pretty much what you are recommending. Calumet... but someone suggested there is a multi-million $, stables with limestone coins, cupolas, brick walk and real elegant stables, not the real old barn/classic but more elegant, but could not get the name of the Farm out of him. Do you have any ideas what he might be referring to?
 Thank you for your suggestions. I can't wait for the trip.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry, can't help with that one. The farms have become very security minded over the last few years. It used to be most of them were open and welcomed visitors. I can tell you, those horses live better than most of us do. As I said, the Horse Park is easy to find, wide open and just beautiful. Might be a good starting point. There are visitor guides available so visit Joseph Beth Booksellers in Lexington Green Shopping Center (it's worth a visit anyway!) for local guide books. (New Circle Road at Nicholasville Road, looks like Churchill Downs with a green roof, can't miss it.)
I'm kind of out of contact in Lexington right now, my in-laws live there but we seldom go anywhere with them. Lexington has a web page which should serve as a good starting point: [a href=\"http://www.visitlex.com/]http://www.visitlex.com/[/url]
Check it out and enjoy a really great town.  

Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Lexington Horse Farms
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 08:38:44 pm »

Hopefully our current heat wave will have abated by the time you get here (I'm in the Louisville area, 60 miles west on I-64.)

Keeneland is a much more picturesque spot than Churchill Downs, which gets all the attention OUTSIDE of Kentucky. If you ever have the chance to attend Keeneland's fall meet or its horse sales (? fall I think?) you should do it. Fall is our nicest season--just gorgeous here then.

Me, I consider horses to be half-ton bringers of pain equipped with walnut-sized brains, and therefore to be regarded with the degree of vigilance and mistrust due any large, dimwitted, and unpredictable beast armed with hoof-tipped flailing limbs and a panicky worldview. I am now awaiting the wrath of my equinophile fellow LL-ers, but I consider cowardice to be one's primary survival skill.

As our chamber of commerce would surely say, we bid you welcome to our fair state and hope you stay (and spend) a while!
michael sebast

SeanBK

Lexington Horse Farms
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:49:12 am »

Thank you guys for your advise. I had a wonderful time. Horse Farms are real gorgeous. Like you guys said impossible to get in, due to security concerns. Kentucky Horse Park IS gorgeous. Keenland demands another visit in the fall. With the heat wave grass was a little yellow, probably a fall trip would be perfect. Calumet Farm looked real nice. Overall loved the trip and thanks for your suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up