Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any news about Canon's Lucia Pro inks permanece?  (Read 27282 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Any news about Canon's Lucia Pro inks permanece?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 09:24:05 am »

Wow, so in very rough numbers, Lucia PRO is half of HDX which is half of Vivera.

Different conditions produce different relationships, but the encouraging observation for me is that the dark storage numbers are very long-term for all of it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2018, 09:25:38 am »

Still surprised that Wilhelm considers some papers OBA free that are not OBA free.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Is it possible that those spikes could be caused by factors other than OBA presence?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2018, 11:25:27 am »

If print permanence matters to you, B&H and Adorama are both now offering a very competive price ($3,299.00) on the Z3200ps 44 Inch, and ($2,699.00) for the 24”.

As recent test results confirm, and as indicated in WIR statements, the HP Z3200ps printers with Vivera inks remain KING of the HILL.

This is a perfect time to get one - the price has never been lower, and a 5 year warranty is available for purchase. 

Hard to know what HP is actually doing, whether they are letting go of current inventory for eventual EOL of the Z3200ps, or they are pricing to remain competitive.  Either way, there should be a guaranteed 5 year support on printers sold today, and possibly longer. 

HP is not allowing B&H or Adorama to post or advertise the new prices - you have to click on the “price” button to see the actual price. 

The current price for the 24” Z3200ps is the lowest I have ever seen it.

Choose the right papers in combination with the Vivera inkset, and it’s the top most print longevity available today for aqueous color prints. 

And, you can actually see the difference in the prints as well.

When HP hit a home run with the Z Series, they knocked it out of the park, and the Vivera Inks went into the stratosphere and are still in orbit!  20 year old ink color science/technology and still leading the pack.

Why would anyone NOT use the best color technology available today, other than to prioritize speed of printing above print longevity.

Think about it.  HP has done NOTHING to advertise the Z Series.  They have NOT fixed it because it’s not broken. And without trying, without putting ANY energy into changing ANYTHING, the Vivera inkset STILL outperforms EPSON and CANON.

For the individual and studio photographer, this is a NO BRAINER.

When the worldwide head of strategic marketing visited my studio from Barcelona, I told him that HP was still beating Epson and Canon in independent tests.  He grinned and said:  “HP welcomes any and all competition.”

And I asked: “Why haven’t you been promoting the Z Series DesignJet printers?”

“We’ve just been so busy with our Latex and 3D printers, our focus is on them.” 
“The Z Series printers are doing fine - we don’t need to do anything.”

Again, if you’re concerned about print longevity, go to B&H and Adorama and see for yourself.

-Mark L

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2018, 11:52:31 am »

Mark

I liked the HP printers, I have owned them. I just found them to slow for any sort of production work. It would be nice if HP updated the 3200 printer and I would look at it again. Just to slow for me.

Steven

stockjock

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2018, 12:07:02 pm »

I might be misreading these results or simply being a little dense but it appears that Wilhelm tested the new inks for the Canon Pro series of printers as well as the older Lucia inks for the Canon iPF5100 but I don't see anything that specifically references the Lucia Ex inks used in the iPFx400 printers.  Since the results for the Canon Lucia Pro inks are so disappointing I wonder if anyone has any data/opinions about where the Lucia Ex inks fall on the longevity spectrum?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2018, 12:32:38 pm »

................And without trying, without putting ANY energy into changing ANYTHING, the Vivera inkset STILL outperforms EPSON and CANON.

For the individual and studio photographer, this is a NO BRAINER.................

I'm interested in hearing more. If your statement is a general one not only aimed at longevity, could you elaborate more specifically on the other respects in which Vivera outperforms the latest generation of Epson and Canon printers, and what is the underlying evidence showing this up. (Had they made a 17" version I would have been tempted to buy and try.)

As well, I wonder about the sales numbers over the past couple of years of Z3200s relative to say the Epson SC-P7000 or the Canon Pro-2000 in the 24" line for the individual and studio photographer market segment. One hears from various sources that on the whole the printer market could be more buoyant, so the battle for market share is quite intense.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2018, 02:15:48 pm »

I'm interested in hearing more. If your statement is a general one not only aimed at longevity, could you elaborate more specifically on the other respects in which Vivera outperforms the latest generation of Epson and Canon printers, and what is the underlying evidence showing this up. (Had they made a 17" version I would have been tempted to buy and try.)

As well, I wonder about the sales numbers over the past couple of years of Z3200s relative to say the Epson SC-P7000 or the Canon Pro-2000 in the 24" line for the individual and studio photographer market segment. One hears from various sources that on the whole the printer market could be more buoyant, so the battle for market share is quite intense.

Hi Mark, always good to hear from you, sir. Someone just posted a link to a major WIR permanence update for Canson’s line of fine art papers. The poster noted that Canon’s latest Lucia Pro 11 ink set got tested along with Epson’s latest HDX inks, and the report also includes the HP Vivera and older K3 and LuciaEX ink sets. According to the new WIR test results, HP is indeed still on top!.

I have more information that I can’t discuss, as results aren’t finalized and it’s not my place to publish any findings.  NDA’s, etc.

Consider that several of the top printers here on Lula, Ernst Dinkla, John Dean, Geraldo Garcia, Mark McCormicak Goodhart, and several others all have Z3200 printers.  Of course, both Canon and Epson are faster printers, but does this really matter to the studio photographer looking for ultimate quality in a small studio or in-home environment?  Z-series printers sip inks, the machines don’t clog, and there are no waste tanks or changing from MK to PK inks.  Additionally, the printers come with embedded spectrophotometers standard equipment.

They can’t fit 12 ink carts and the embedded spectrophotometer in a 17” printer as it is just too much and causes the printer to be too wide.  The 24” printer enables multitudes of advantages over the 17” if there was one, particularly the larger cart capacity and the ESP. There’s no question that the build qulity of the Canon 24” and the Epson 24” both are more substantial, but they also weigh a whole lot more, are difficult to move in comparison, and are way more difficult to work on in comparison to the 24” Z3200ps.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all the printers.  They all produce great prints.  It comes down to test results of inks and paper combinations and environmental factors.  All the date that is currently available shows HP Vivera inks to be leading the pack still.  Not what I say, but what Wilhelm says. 

If HP made a 17” model, I’d probably buy it, even though I have 3 Z3200 printers and a Z3100.  Four Z Series printers is enough, but I’d sure be tempted.  But there is so much more that can be done with a 24” printer.

Since the price fora 24” has come down so much, why not try one Mark?  I bet you’d love it!

MarkL
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2018, 03:06:01 pm »

Hi Mark - thanks for getting back on this. Perhaps it should be in another thread, but what I was trying to find out is whether there is much to distinguish these printers print-quality wise, quite apart from longevity. There are first-rate professionals in the "LuLa Family" using one or more of all three brands so that itself just makes it all the more interesting to drill down more on the print quality aspects - but I think you wrapped it up succinctly saying they all make great prints. From all I've seen, I agree.

Nope - not buying another printer any time soon - no space here for 24" models, the value of the CAD means multiplying US prices by 25%, I don't need that big and I've just shed two other printers to recoup some office space, so now sticking with the Epson SC-P5000. It does all I need, it's built like a brick s...house, has tremendous colour gamut, great B&W performance, superb resolution and works just fine. But that said, one is always interested in poking around as opportunity and favorable circumstances warrant.... who knows, one of these days.........  :-)

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:47 pm »

Is it possible that those spikes could be caused by factors other than OBA presence?

Absorption of UV light at the left and a bump at 440nm is a sign of fluorescence caused by UV light. When observed in papers it is 99.9% sure a result of the use of OBAs.
Plus there is evidence delivered by Canson itself; the specs for the Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique say Very Low OBA content and for the Baryta Prestige too.
Baryta Photographique paper white patch is the most color shifted patch (5 DeltaE) of a Z3200 Aardenburg test target at 140 Megalux hours. Which probably says more about the fade resistance of the Vivera pigment inks than of the paper quality. Not a bad paper but it has low OBA content so mention it I would say. The Prestige has actually more and still gets that No OBA content label at W-R. Has not been tested by Aardenburg.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2018, 03:41:48 pm »

OK thanks for confirming Ernst - I thought that was pretty much the case.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:29 pm »

Consider that several of the top printers here on Lula, Ernst Dinkla, John Dean, Geraldo Garcia, Mark McCormicak Goodhart, and several others all have Z3200 printers.  Of course, both Canon and Epson are faster printers, but does this really matter to the studio photographer looking for ultimate quality in a small studio or in-home environment?  Z-series printers sip inks, the machines don’t clog, and there are no waste tanks or changing from MK to PK inks.  Additionally, the printers come with embedded spectrophotometers standard equipment.

MarkL

Just to add to what Mark L says, The HP Z3200's are really the best choice for anyone that does not print every day, to keep their nozzles clear. I never do nozzle checks before printing, 99% of the time it's perfect. Just keep machine turned on all the time, it does it's thing. VERY stingy on using inks. Print heads seem to last forever--I'm just on my 3rd set in 11 years. And they are very inexpensive ($70 list price/2 colors).

The built-in Spectro is a charm! You can't buy a comparible stand alone spectro for the price of the printer alone.

The gray component removal, of the print engine, means you use the Lt Gray and Gray inks more, but it results in very neutral looking results with less metamerizm (shifting of color balance under different types of viewing lights).

And, if you print B&W, this printer delivers exceptional B&W compared to a stock Epson or Canon. It uses the two grays plus both blacks when printing on art papers. 

Nope, I'm not an HP sales person or dealer, just a VERY satisfied art reproduction printer for many years.

And, the support page the Mark has put up for DIY types is outstanding!!! Thank youi Mark!!!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 11:57:13 pm »

Interesting that Canon has gone substantially backwards in this test.

What doesn't seem to compute to me is the correlation between bare bulb and UV glass.  Epson on Baryta PHotographique rates 64 years, HP rates 56 years, yet  under UV glass the Epson rates >230 years, but the HP comes in at 392 years.  not greater than, but a specific number like that?  and that much greater even though the Epson is slightly better without glass?

Seems illogical.

Also curious why they didn't test the Baryta Prestige on the HP, but did so on the others. (also noticed Canson doesn't provide profiles for the Prestige). 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:25:39 am by Wayne Fox »

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2018, 12:19:35 am »

What doesn't seem to compute to me is the correlation between bare bulb and UV glass.  Epson on Baryta PHotographique rates 64 years, HP rates 56 years, yet  under UV glass the Epson rates >230 years, but the HP comes in at 392 years.  not greater than, but a specific number like that?  and that much greater even though the Epson is slightly better without glass?

I can't tell you exactly what Wilhelm did or what the report means--maybe Mark McCormick can--but the logical implications appear to be:
(1) the HP ink is more vulnerable to full-spectrum light than the Epson ink is, but the the Epson ink is more vulnerable to UV-filtered light than the HP ink is; and
(2) different tests may well be run to different endpoints, so maybe HP commissioned Wilhelm to 'test until it meets the failure criteria' but Epson commissioned Wilhelm only to 'test to a certain light exposure and then extrapolate within the limits of your precision'.

Also, IMO the differences seem relatively small. 56 years is only 12.5% less than 64 years. > 230 years could mean exactly 392 years if the test were extended, or it could be 250 years, or it could mean 400 years--I don't think we can infer much from the quoted figures. Moreover, different test results may show greater or lesser linearities in fade, which make relatively more precise results more or less discernible.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 05:57:05 am »

I can't tell you exactly what Wilhelm did or what the report means--maybe Mark McCormick can--but the logical implications appear to be:
(1) the HP ink is more vulnerable to full-spectrum light than the Epson ink is, but the the Epson ink is more vulnerable to UV-filtered light than the HP ink is; and

Or could it be that with the bare bulb exposure the paper white shift becomes more dominant when the inks themselves survive the torture?  My bet is on that explanation.

While writing my thoughts on that, more and more of WIR's testing report showed the flaws I get used too. This industry has paper manufacturers that are not so consistent in their production and in the labeling of their products. We have seen it with Ilford and it shows here with Canson. Tests like these are like shooting at moving targets. So I checked whether I still had the older WIR Canson/inks report and it was there, the one of 2012. The "new" test result figures of WIR pages 3, 4, and 5, with the older inks, are exactly the same for the respective 11 papers tested then but the paper names are different. More than 11 papers were tested in 2012 though. Today's names represent the relabeling after Canson lost the rights to use the Arches names. I can not proof changes happened too in the paper qualities themselves but we have seen enough messages in this forum that consistency has not been very high. I doubt the old production runs of the first test papers were stored for the new inks tests. That Wilhelm went along with the relabeling of the papers for the copy of the 2012 test results in the 2018 PDF is strange. There also should have been an indication that the tests were done in different periods. Interesting screen grabs below of the 2012 and 2018 test for Baryta Photographique and Platine Fibre, Canon older ink sets, similar thing happened for the other older inks.

I take a bare bulb test average of resp 9 paper samples in the first and 11 paper samples in the second group. Highest scoring at the top.

1 HP Vivera       (test ended 2012) 11 samples, average 74.    100%
2 Epson HDX       (test ended 2018)  9 samples, average 66.    89%
3 Canon Lucia old (test ended 2012) 11 samples, average 57.  77%
4 Epson K3        (test ended 2012) 11 samples, average 36.      49%
5 Canon Lucia Pro (test ended 2018)  9 samples, average 33.   45%

I mention the flaws in the testing; the paper samples number 9-11 are different, the RC paper in the 9 samples test is not present among the 3 RCs in the 11 papers tests and where the papers ought to be the same, but relabeled, I have my doubts on their consistency. The reason why I threw all samples together for each test period and took the average. That Wilhelm is also neglecting Low OBA content in some papers is not that important for this either. The Baryta Prestige (2018) with OBA can be seen as a replacement for the two extra RCs with OBA in the 2012 group.

Despite that I think you can see that the "best in general" testing inks are also at the top in bare bulb exposure but closer to one another as the limitation is in the paper white shifting by the bare bulb exposure, IMHO. Improving inks more and the papers not will bring the numbers closer at some point.

Compare WIR pages 3, 4 and 5 to one another and remember that the same inks are still available but the papers could have changed in properties. Compare pages 1 and 2, inks are not changed and hope that nothing happened/happens with the papers since that test. The Ilford test also present on the WIR index page has the same limitations, paper white spectral plots I made winter 2014/2015 differ from older ones but maybe two that are more alike. Ilford's labels were not changed accordingly.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:28:20 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2018, 09:51:35 am »

Or it could be that given inherent limitations of the testing methodology that surely exist but we don't know much about, perhaps we should treat all these numbers as indicative and not fret over fine differences, or depending on context even some large ones, between them. To me, whether the number is 43 or 56 doesn't matter - it just tells me that deterioration shouldn't begin under those display conditions until roughly half a century has passed. Again to me, whether a dark storage number is 200 or 300 doesn't matter because my grand-children will be long gone before the lower limit kicks in - and when it does, what will be the rate and character of deterioration? Who knows. Maybe those of us who have been playing with numbers and forecasts for many decades just become a bit jaded and circumspect about how much precision we should impute to them, especially when we have the opportunity to find out how wrong they've been. Sorry if this sounds a bit dismissive, but you know, there comes a point when common sense and a healthy dose of circumspection must intrude on pseudo-precision just because "the numbers come out that way". I expect opprobrium will come crashing down on me for making such suggestions, but I'll still remain skeptical about the merit of obsessing whether my prints will remain unaffected over generous ranges of these estimates emerging from the tests, useful as they are for indicative purposes.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »

Mark:
I believe all this testing should be taken with a grain of salt. In the end, it's all "comparative". The pigmented color inks from all three printer brands greatly outlast what Kodak was delivering to us in the 1960's, 70's, 80's.

I'm fond of saying that the prints I make today will last to the day, they are thrown into the land fill. :) But it's good to know, that if properly taken care of, they will last easily into the 2100's. And if a digital file is saved, they can last as long as art lovers still enjoy viewing a print as opposed to a digital display and there are still printing processes around.

The one thing I would note, the HP inkset seens to have the most "linear" rate of fade, compared to Epson & Canon, which is probably the reason it scores considerably better in fade resistance.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2018, 12:36:30 pm »

Or it could be that given inherent limitations of the testing methodology that surely exist but we don't know much about, perhaps we should treat all these numbers as indicative and not fret over fine differences, or depending on context even some large ones, between them. To me, whether the number is 43 or 56 doesn't matter - it just tells me that deterioration shouldn't begin under those display conditions until roughly half a century has passed. Again to me, whether a dark storage number is 200 or 300 doesn't matter because my grand-children will be long gone before the lower limit kicks in - and when it does, what will be the rate and character of deterioration? Who knows. Maybe those of us who have been playing with numbers and forecasts for many decades just become a bit jaded and circumspect about how much precision we should impute to them, especially when we have the opportunity to find out how wrong they've been. Sorry if this sounds a bit dismissive, but you know, there comes a point when common sense and a healthy dose of circumspection must intrude on pseudo-precision just because "the numbers come out that way". I expect opprobrium will come crashing down on me for making such suggestions, but I'll still remain skeptical about the merit of obsessing whether my prints will remain unaffected over generous ranges of these estimates emerging from the tests, useful as they are for indicative purposes.

I can see how you might take that attitude Mark, however, without any "opprobrium" or whatever intended, I respectfully disagree.  Looking at Ernst's compiled numbers:

1 HP Vivera       (test ended 2012) 11 samples, average 74.
2 Epson HDX       (test ended 2018)  9 samples, average 66.
3 Canon Lucia old (test ended 2012) 11 samples, average 57.
4 Epson K3        (test ended 2012) 11 samples, average 36.
5 Canon Lucia Pro (test ended 2018)  9 samples, average 33.

There is certainly a huge disparity between Canon Lucia Pro (33), Canon Lucia Old (57) and HP Vivera's stellar 74.  No contest actually.

Same with Epson Vs. Vivera.

I disagree that deterioration won't occur until half a century has passed.  Given that there is no equality in how prints are stored whether archival, or not, framed archival, or not, or hung in ideal conditions or not, will significantly impact the longevity of the print, and most pointedly will impact the speed and manner in which the print begins to fade.

One of the most important aspects of fading that Mark McCormick of Aardenburg Imaging has been discussing is the manner in which the print declines and how some ink/paper combinations decline or fade gracefully as opposed to how other ink/paper combinations reach a point and just drop off a cliff declining terribly.  It's not pseudo-precision regarding numbers, mainly because they indicate fading under in many ways the best of conditions as opposed to real life conditions that intrude upon the projections.  When the numbers reflect comparative realities, they indicate the same proportions under the most adverse conditions.

So actually, I believe we should be much more concerned about whether our prints age gracefully or they drop dead like flashlight batteries.

And also, to be considered is whether the prints are viewed in the context of typical average ownership or in a museum context, and all in-situ scenarios in between.

We don't have those facts and figures in front of us, but as long as we're pseudo-extrapolating, perhaps we should look to someone who has a handle on those projections for answers.

Just my perspective, sir, YMMV of course.

As for me, I'll stick with Vivera, and the highest numbers, top scores, and prints that I believe look the best to my eye, comparitively.

Mark

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2018, 12:37:31 pm »

John, yes, you're even going a bit further than I did but that's fine. As for linearity of fade - interesting point, but I don't think Wilhelm's published information tells us about that. Perhaps Aardenburg's does - Mark MG would have to educate at least me on that one. The inconvenience of fade of course is that if different colours fade at different rates the colour balance of the photos goes out the window, which is what we are accustomed to seeing with many of our decades-old C-41 media.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2018, 12:43:12 pm »

So actually, I believe we should be much more concerned about whether our prints age gracefully or they drop dead like flashlight batteries.

Mark

The extracted statement I agree with, and I agree it would be good to hear from Mark MG on the predictive reliability of the testing methodology at least that he's using.

Like you, I too prefer longer-lasting than shorter-lasting. I'm just concerned about how much reliance/significance to impute to spot estimates.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2018, 01:19:55 pm »

As for linearity of fade - interesting point, but I don't think Wilhelm's published information tells us about that. Perhaps Aardenburg's does - Mark MG would have to educate at least me on that one. The inconvenience of fade of course is that if different colours fade at different rates the colour balance of the photos goes out the window, which is what we are accustomed to seeing with many of our decades-old C-41 media.
Aardenburg's data does allow one to see how the various colors change over time.  Just look at any one of the completed tests and you will see all the relevant data.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up