Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Exposing for B&W digital?

(1/4) > >>

jwnova1:
I recently started making B&W files from my color files (JPEGS) using Adobe Photoshop Elements 12. Not overwhelmed with my results. Would shooting RAW be better for producing quality B&W files for printing? Any other suggestions for AP Element 12 users?

Alan Klein:
Try NIK software now owned by GOogle. All software is free including Silver Efex Pro which is for BW editing.  It links with Elements, Lightroom. Photoshop.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

jwnova1:
Thanks. I will look into these. Any thoughts about whether shooting RAW instead of JPEG might help?

Petrus:

--- Quote from: jwnova1 on August 13, 2016, 04:42:40 pm ---Thanks. I will look into these. Any thoughts about whether shooting RAW instead of JPEG might help?

--- End quote ---

Of course, gives more latitude in making the "master" from which the B&W conversion is made from.

NIK Silver Effex is a wonderful tool to make conversions. Wide collection of ready made styles which can all be fully adjusted and combined. Of course all the true professional Photoshop wizards detest them, but NIK surely makes the life of a lowly amateur much more enjoyable...

Telecaster:
Go RAW. It'll give you more tonal detail, finer gradation, to work with.

-Dave-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version