Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Way To store Old Prints  (Read 1320 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Best Way To store Old Prints
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:51:47 am »

Hi guys, a friend has come across some fairly old family photos. Many are 8x10 prints. She wants to preserve them for her daughter, what is the best way to store them as far as wrappings, cases, storage method, etc. are concerned? I've already recommended that she bring them to me to be scanned but she really wants to preserve the originals for the future.
\ Thanks!!

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Best Way To store Old Prints
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:10:16 am »

Hi guys, a friend has come across some fairly old family photos. Many are 8x10 prints. She wants to preserve them for her daughter, what is the best way to store them as far as wrappings, cases, storage method, etc. are concerned? I've already recommended that she bring them to me to be scanned but she really wants to preserve the originals for the future.
\ Thanks!!

Kevin in CT

I think the most important thing is the storage environment - not too warm or humid (no basements or attics, air conditioned if possible). At a minimum, pile them up in an archival storage box like this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=442199&gclid=Cj0KEQjw57W9BRDM9_a-2vWJ68EBEiQAwPNFK9BD3tm9SHFqaGohduLNtXFffkvREMgSnTMHc4MIEHAaAgPM8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q=

For an extra level of physical protection, each individual print can be put in its own archival sleeve. Then just put the box on a closet shelf. It's not nearly as complicated as some make out.

Your friend might consider including brief notes identifying each photo just in case. My sister and I waited too long and by the time we thought to deal with a dozen albums of family photos from the 1920s to the 1960s, Dad was dead and Mom was demented.

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:44:24 am »

\ Thanks!!

Kevin in CT

Even though she wants the originals which is laudable, a back-up SHOULD be made in case anything should go awry - fire, water leak, etc., etc.

Brian

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 03:01:42 pm »

Hi guys, thanks to you both for your help!

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up