Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L Bracket on Mamiya 645AF and Leaf Aptus back  (Read 4912 times)

oscar falero

L Bracket on Mamiya 645AF and Leaf Aptus back
« on: June 19, 2006, 11:33:00 am »

Is anyone using an L bracket with Mamiya 645AFII and a Leaf Aptus back combination? The L plate should work on the Arca ballhead.

In the past I have used the L bracket from Really Right Stuff on my Canon 1Ds MK2, but they do not make one for the Mamiya 645.

Thanks,
Oscar Falero
www.oscarfalero.com

paulhu

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 11:32:15 am »

I have a Mamiya 645AFD II connected to Kodak DSC Pro Digital back.  I am also looking for a L-plate.  So far from both Really Right Stuff and Kirk all I can find is the camera plate for tripod mounting.  Another solution is probably look for a wrist support, that attatches one end to the camera tripod thread socket and the other end to the camera strap attachment loop on the side of the camera.

Graham Welland

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 10:09:16 am »

I have a Mamiya 645AFD II connected to Kodak DSC Pro Digital back.  I am also looking for a L-plate.  So far from both Really Right Stuff and Kirk all I can find is the camera plate for tripod mounting.  Another solution is probably look for a wrist support, that attatches one end to the camera tripod thread socket and the other end to the camera strap attachment loop on the side of the camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul,

I have the same combination (although AFD not AFD II). I successfully use the Tripod-NII adaptor and then mount an arca plate on the bottom. This provides clearance for the battery on the Kodak when mounting on an Arca style plate.

As regards L brackets for the AFD - I used to use a Kirk L bracket - this works ok so long as you don't want to use mirror lock up when mounted vertically.

The other approach is to use the RRS Universal L bracket with a standard plate on the bottom of the camera. This allows you to mount the camera either left or right side down and hence still use mirror lock up if you need it.

Just a thought: Why would you want an L Bracket when the DCS Pro Back shoots a square image anyway? That's why I don't bother any more. If I were using a wider imager or film occasionally then maybe it would make sense, otherwise it's a waste of time.
Graham

heyandy

• http://about.me/andyfranck
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 02:38:13 pm »

I've been using an Aptus on a 645AFDII with the Mamiya rota-cam.  It's great for being able to quickly switch from horizontal to vertical, but it's a large, heavy addition to the tripod... and though well-built there is enough play in the mechanism that I need to use mirror lock-up more than I'd like.  Been thinking about going with the Kirk bracket - the AFDII has moved the mirror lock-up from the side of the body to the top.  

The only potential problem I see with the Aptus is that the vertical mount side of the bracket is offset towards the rear of the camera.  If your tripod head has a large mounting area, it could block access to the CF door.  

-Andy

Is anyone using an L bracket with Mamiya 645AFII and a Leaf Aptus back combination? The L plate should work on the Arca ballhead.

In the past I have used the L bracket from Really Right Stuff on my Canon 1Ds MK2, but they do not make one for the Mamiya 645.

Thanks,
Oscar Falero
www.oscarfalero.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]