Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirage print software on the PRO-2000  (Read 1710 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Mirage print software on the PRO-2000
« on: August 09, 2016, 08:00:31 am »

During my testing of the PRO-2000 I got to try out Mirage V3.5 to drive the printer.

My initial curiosity was purely due to its ability to print huge images, such as a 6GB 166k pixel wide pano image which caused me considerable hair loss on my iPF8300 a few years ago...

Anyway, a few general notes that may be of interest?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/software/mirage_35.html

I've not looked at any of its proofing features or more advanced print functionality, but there's a 14 day fully functional demo to try...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Mirage print software on the PRO-2000
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:22 am »

Interesting Keith - the thought crossed my mind perusing their website that for about $300 or so one could convert the Canon Pro-1000 to printing whatever length Photoshop can handle. Is that your impression of it?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
No long prints on PRO-1000
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:45:29 am »

Interesting Keith - the thought crossed my mind perusing their website that for about $300 or so one could convert the Canon Pro-1000 to printing whatever length Photoshop can handle. Is that your impression of it?

Sorry but no :-(

I specifically asked about this one... they would love to be able to offer this.

The software is effectively using the Canon driver (via the Canon SDK) so it faces the same limits as anyone else. The 2GB size limit I've come up against before is (I believe) somewhere in PS.  Mirage takes the image data from PS in some other way than the old Canon plugin (which had a 2GB limit).

I've only ever tested this problem up to CS6, but I heard someone else mention it, so I believe it's still there in the rental versions of PS?

My initial query was related to making profiles for the printer and how they would work with Mirage, this was where we got into data handling and of course that PRO-1000 page length limit...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:21:11 am »

Yes, the latest versions of PS also respect the size limitations of the PSD and PSB formats. But that of course is a different matter from the length limitation on the Pro-1000. The wording of the claims on their website could be clarified - in one place they claim saying goodbye to such limitations and in another place they say they support the Pro-1000 printer, so putting the two together, I was raising my hopes that this could be an easy fix. Sorry to hear it isn't. Nor would PrinTao 8 resolve it, because it does not support the new Pro line of Canon printers at all.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:59 am »

Indeed, that's what made me ask.

I should have mentioned specifically that the page length issue for the PRO-1000 is a completely different one to the length issues I've faced in the past with huge files.

The huge file limit is caused by a bottleneck in the print pipeline - this is what they fix.

The PRO-1000 limit awaits a fix from Canon ...or a replacement for the iPF5100, which (here in the UK) is still a current model ;-)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:43:36 am »

The PRO-1000 limit awaits a fix from Canon ....

Their "fix" was to increase the limit from 23.4 inches to 25.5 inches to deal with the aspect ratio for printing "Full Frame" sensor dimensions. I'm not under the impression that there will be further changes to this model, but they are totally well aware of the issue.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:20:07 am »

Their "fix" was to increase the limit from 23.4 inches to 25.5 inches to deal with the aspect ratio for printing "Full Frame" sensor dimensions. I'm not under the impression that there will be further changes to this model, but they are totally well aware of the issue.

'fix' indeed ;-)

As we've discussed before, we each talk to Canon on a different side of the Atlantic...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:24:09 am »

As we've discussed before, we each talk to Canon on a different side of the Atlantic...

Are you getting different vibes on this one than I am?

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 10:50:58 am »

Are you getting different vibes on this one than I am?

Nothing I can pass on, but I believe the issue is appreciated...

I'm aware that it's a relatively niche issue, but if people have concerns, speak up ... it does trickle back to Japan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up