Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromaluxe Aluminum's  (Read 2159 times)

uppy61

• Mark Upfield Photography
Chromaluxe Aluminum's
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:05:47 am »

Hey all, I'm not 100% sure this is allowed to be here if not by all means please remove it.

I have set up a chromaluxe printing lab in the UK and can ship world wide, if interested please get in contact, the website isn't fully complete but will give you an idea

www.simplyfineartprinting.com
The best light comes before, after and during the rain...
www.muphotographiclandscapes.com

marvpelkey

Re: Chromaluxe Aluminum's
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:14:57 pm »

Not sure if this advert is legit or not, but if it is, I would never use a service that puts up a website where, within the first half dozen lines, I came across three spelling errors (one of which is "course" not "coarse" - jeez, seriously??). This latest trend where no-one seems to care about the quality of stuff they put out for public consumption drives me crazy.

Regards,

Marv

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:37:21 pm »

Let alone a spelling error in the topic title.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:40 pm »

Give him a bit of a break and the opportunity to explain himself.  Mark Upfield's landscape photography looks pretty good.
Regards,
Ron

Ian99

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:35:20 pm »

We should be pleased to see a new print lab opening, but I do think that poor spelling and bad grammar significantly detract from a professional appearance.

My pet loathing is the use of the non-word “lense”.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:37:04 pm »

Since he's from the UK perhaps we should let him spell "lense" as an alternative to the more popular "lens".  It is after all ENGLISH.  😀
Regards,
Ron

Ian99

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 07:00:59 pm »

Ron, BS.
As someone who grew up with English as a first language, not American, Oz, or any other type of English I can accommodate variations in spelling.

I have no problem with tire, color, aluminum and other oddities. However there is only one correct way of spelling lens throughout the World and as photographers we should hold precious the most important word in our vocabulary.

Lens is the singular and lenses is the plural for that bit of bent glass that we use so often.

I understand you are just trying to prod me into an entertaining response, but those who use the word lense deserve our scorn.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 08:45:31 pm »

... those who use the word lense deserve our scorn.

As do those who mis-use the apostrophe.  :)

uppy61

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 04:30:45 am »

Firstly let me apologize for the spelling issues that I did not put on the website...

I never said I designed the site and I was just informing people that when the site was up and running that a new print lab is opening!

I have seriously just gone from 100% respect of this site to realizing that some of the people are the same as those over on other forums...

It's funny how I upload some pictures and the comments are "wow", "great work" etc etc etc yet when I'm actually trying to grow the industry and make photography something worth while it gets slated.

I will keep this post running and back my corner on this one, even if I did make the spelling issues on the website whats wrong in a simple "mate, some spelling issues on there need sorting asap"

Rather than... "I would never trust a site like this"

Our industry needs some serious help, who's to say i'm not some 18 year old with no confidence who just lost all interest in a new bussines venture because of some guys on a forum who are better than everyone else.

Seriously guys I can't wait to read the responses.

p.s. cheers for the guys who just spoke like normal humans

uppy61

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 04:33:29 am »

Not sure if this advert is legit or not, but if it is, I would never use a service that puts up a website where, within the first half dozen lines, I came across three spelling errors (one of which is "course" not "coarse" - jeez, seriously??). This latest trend where no-one seems to care about the quality of stuff they put out for public consumption drives me crazy.

Regards,

Marv

I love this...

"This latest trend where no-one seems to care about the quality of stuff they put out for public consumption drives me crazy"

You literally have no idea what I do for a living nor do you care... Read my latest response to the thread I seriously can't be bothered to re type it (mainly because I may spell something wrong ha ha)

uppy61

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 04:36:19 am »

and I do admit defeat on the topic title that was fully my fault from being in a rush

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 02:19:25 pm »

Mark,

The remarks about your site were unnecessarily crudely expressed, which is a shame. However, there is a glimmer of sense in them. I've posted on this topic before here, as it's one which does upset me, a pedant in correct use of English.

I see web sites with spelling and grammatical mistakes all the time. Mostly, I just sigh and ignore them. But if that site is trying to sell me a product, whatever it may be, that requires care and skill to get right, and with which I shall be unhappy if it's not right, I can think of only two reactions to such errors.

One is that the chap running the site is so good, and hence so busy, that he just doesn't have time to care about the state of the site. Will I use him? Maybe, but with reservations.

The other is that he just doesn't care about detail, and that the sloppy site reflects his approach to his work in general. Will I use him? Not a chance.

It's like a job application. Each year, colleagues of mine (happily, not me, at least not yet) have to sift through hundreds of applications to join us. Those with poorly-drafted covering letters just go straight into the bin. Presentation matters. Grammar, punctuation (which on your site is pretty bad, I'm afraid), spelling and the like do matter. You may think that's unfair, or wrong, but it's true nevertheless.

Jeremy

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »

Hey all, I'm not 100% sure this is allowed to be here if not by all means please remove it.

I have set up a chromaluxe printing lab in the UK and can ship world wide, if interested please get in contact, the website isn't fully complete but will give you an idea

www.simplyfineartprinting.com

With regard to web ethics it's usually looked upon as bad form for newbies to introduce them self on a forum discussion site by posting a website link to a new business they just started but feel slighted by those who are suspicious of its legitimacy due to its small errors and anemic site design considering the amount of competition for online print services. A person speaks volumes about them self by the decisions they make which can show how well they can conduct business especially with financial transactions with stranger's across the globe.

You already told everyone you already know this may be bad form with this line...

"Hey all, I'm not 100% sure this is allowed to be here if not by all means please remove it."

Do you think you are showing good decision making as a business person by posting and reacting to others the way you're doing?

If you are learning as you go do you think you've convinced folks here here to fork over their hard earned money for your prints?

I can tell you right now just on the way you went about promoting your business, I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole.

enduser

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:58 pm »

Hey,Uppy.  A great location - do you get to do any sailing?  Some photos of your premises might help build confidence for buyers.

We run an online business, not related to photography or printing, and Ithink it's worth your while to re-open with a better website.  The easiest way to sell online is to use a shopping cart.  There's two kinds, a fully hosted one like Shopify, or free ones like NopCommerce who supply templates and you arrange hosting your self. Both methods work and are easy to set-up and get running, but the fully hosted systems cost more to run.

Trust is what you get over time as your customers see you are reliable, (and they value delivery time very highly).

As you get a few sales you might give customers a 10% price cut if they review your business on "Womo", (https://www.wordofmouth.com.au/)  a word-of-mouth review site. It's Australian but there are UK and US equivalents in your case.

These days Facebook and other social media sources are the future.  We get more business from Facebook than any other source.  The thing about exposing your business to LULA is that a lot of the members are practitioners in the art, and few will be buyers.  A much more "general" buying public is your real target market.

Good luck.

marvpelkey

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 10:36:45 pm »

Mark,

I stand by my initial comments, for the following reasons:

In my humble opinion, anyone who offers a service and puts out a site to solicit business from the public, especially those who infer a professional, quality product, are judged by the potential customer right from the word go.

When I visit that site and, within seconds, find less than a professional presentation, my first thought is "Why would I take a chance on this service provider when there are so many other similar services, who have the most professional high quality site and a stellar track record?

As to my harshness and why I merely didn't suggest "mate, some spelling mistakes....". I was going to do just that, but I took the time to click the link in your signature to actually see what kind of guy you were and, in checking your "About" page, found another bunch of errors (It's "he grew up" not "he grow up", it's "tuitions" not "tuition's", it's "Fine art prints" not "Fine art pints").

So, based on all that, I made an assumption that you are related to two sites in which you don't appear to care enough about the "details". And caring about the "details" is something I would look for when seeking a service offering high end printing. And to me, it doesn't matter what your age or background are if you decide to throw yourself out there and offer a quality, detail-oriented service. You're judged right from the word go.

Just my two cents,

Marv
Pages: [1]   Go Up