Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Article: Fail Forward And Fail Hard  (Read 13414 times)

robertfields

Article: Fail Forward And Fail Hard
« on: August 07, 2016, 12:28:02 pm »

Regarding the article/essay "Fail Forward and Fail Hard" I disagree with 90% of what he has to say, and his images are...well...odd, IMHO; the links to his website don't work.  This is the kind of new age touchy-feely drivel a lot of kids get in school today.  Don't worry if you fail the test kids.  We'll give you an "A" to make you feel good.  In my 50-year career (not photography) I learned what was right and what was wrong from those who were smart and those who were stupid, respectfully.  I always tried very hard to not make mistakes.

adias

Re: Article: Fail Forward And Fail Hard
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 01:50:48 pm »

Regarding the article/essay "Fail Forward and Fail Hard" I disagree with 90% of what he has to say, and his images are...well...odd, IMHO; the links to his website don't work.  This is the kind of new age touchy-feely drivel a lot of kids get in school today.  Don't worry if you fail the test kids.  We'll give you an "A" to make you feel good.  In my 50-year career (not photography) I learned what was right and what was wrong from those who were smart and those who were stupid, respectfully.  I always tried very hard to not make mistakes.

The article is another 'enlightened' essay, as you well pointed out reflecting the moral relativism corroding society.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 03:41:56 pm »

Grumpy Gus alert!  ::)

-Dave-

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 04:17:17 pm »

I think he just said "try stuff."
Can't really argue.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:55:16 pm »

I think he just said "try stuff."
Can't really argue.

Exactly! Art school 101...take lots of chances. It's the only way for true creativity.

Peter

graeme

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 05:10:53 pm »

No right or wrong in the creative aspects of the visual arts, Robert.

Would be interested to see some of your photos.

graeme

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 05:11:54 pm »

The article is another 'enlightened' essay, as you well pointed out reflecting the moral relativism corroding society.

Er, what had this article to do with morality?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 06:48:35 pm »

Sorry about the link for the web page.  I have made the corrections on it.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

adias

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 10:20:28 pm »

Er, what had this article to do with morality?

"Moral Relativism" has nothing to do with morality. It has to do with political correctness and utopian results equality.

graeme

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:03 am »

"Moral Relativism" has nothing to do with morality. It has to do with political correctness and utopian results equality.

The article had nothing to do with any of that stuff - it was about personal artistic development ( from my reading anyway ).

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:32:04 am »

Looks like the article itself is a failure. Then again, in the author's world, it means success, no? ;)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 06:22:28 am »

I think many of you are being a bit harsh.  Seems to me most of what the writer says is common sense.

While I agree that with art (photography) making mistakes is fine and they are the way you often learn and get to try new ideas.  What I don't necessarily agree with his the author carrying that on into everyday life and the assertion that we could ban the words 'failure' and 'mistake'.  There are lots of areas of life where failure or mistake are catastrophic, and to be trained to avoid failure or mistakes is absolutely correct.

Jim

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 01:12:31 am »

I think many of you are being a bit harsh.  Seems to me most of what the writer says is common sense.

While I agree that with art (photography) making mistakes is fine and they are the way you often learn and get to try new ideas.  What I don't necessarily agree with his the author carrying that on into everyday life and the assertion that we could ban the words 'failure' and 'mistake'.  There are lots of areas of life where failure or mistake are catastrophic, and to be trained to avoid failure or mistakes is absolutely correct.

Jim
True. But in this case the author is talking about the art of photography.

Peter

jeremyrh

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:03:36 am »

I think many of you are being a bit harsh. 

Seems to be a trend - articles provoking mean-spirited belly-aching instead of interesting discussion.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 08:51:50 am »

When there seems to be nihil novi sub sole digitali, people are not easily impressed by rehashed generalities.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 10:06:34 am »

Wow, it's been a long, long time for me since I was forced to study Latin in HS!! Brought back some very old memories including the teacher that could speak many languages except English!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 11:47:30 am »

Seems to be a trend - articles provoking mean-spirited belly-aching instead of interesting discussion.

Yeah, use a controversial title and premise (since when was a failure "good"?), and this is what you get. News flash: controversy sells, but may leave you [virtually] bruised.

The author should have explained that failure should not be disheartening, should not be feared, should not stop from trying new stuff, etc. Draw proper examples. Instead he chooses to stir the pot, bash education, etc. And gets bashed back -- big freaking surprise...

adias

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:32 pm »

No. Simply a counterpoint. Not everyone should think the herd's way, especially when a senseless proposal is on the table.

jeremyrh

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:39 am »

When there seems to be nihil novi sub sole digitali, people are not easily impressed by rehashed generalities.
Quod erat demonstrandum :-)

Dohmnuill

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 07:41:32 am »

No right or wrong in the creative aspects of the visual arts, Robert.

Would be interested to see some of your photos.

No right or wrong, eh Graeme?

Ok, how about there is talent or no talent? Great or rubbish, perhaps? Definitions abound, of course, so how do we decide what hangs in the Louvre? Will it accept your child's wonderful finger painting? Probably not, but why not? Or could we apply the monetary test; open an exhibition and see what sells. It's quite a powerful method, but not foolproof (think Van Gogh). Perhaps it's a combination of factors with technique playing an important part. Is that "right"?

But then there's the bit about seeing some of his photos. How many times have we read this type of comment in reply to someone having the sheer audacity to demand standards or the like. Yeah, I bet your snaps are a real laugh, Robert. Do these demanders complain about that rotten portrait in the Louvre and then come back the next day with their masterpiece they've knocked up that night? As if you have to do better as a license to critique.

I think we see Robert's "right" or "wrong" as a shortcut or summary of multiple factors which contribute to success or otherwise. (Yes, what is success....).

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up